[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Configuring my PC to use 2 hdd and 1 sdd the most effective way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1464754976211.gif (80 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
1464754976211.gif
80 KB, 350x263
So i have been trying to find the optimal way to use my three drives. I have one SSD all ready configured to house windows and my program files, but now i have an almost empty WD Blue in 1tb at 7200Rpm and a WD green in 3tb at 5400 Rpm. I just got the blue drive today and had previously housed all my games on the green drive however i am wondering if i could get less texture popping on the blue drive. I would also like to set it up so that the ssd and blue drive would back up to the green drive. Any Input?
>>
SSD - OS and programs.
WD Blue - Games.
WD Green - Downloads, installation files, music, video, docs, etc.

Get macrium reflect to make image backups of the drives, you can also set scheduled backups.
>>
That's a hardcore pingu
>>
Go pingu go
>>
>>55233529
Run widdle.exe on both Green and Blue to prevent selfucking of the hard drive.
Raid 0 both Green and Blue after.

Use the SSD for critical files and OS.
>>
The second post had the right config, one additional tip to increase/help performance overall:

Put a static 1GB page file on each physical drive (that means you'll have 3GB of page file space total). This works well because it allows Windows to read/write to a page file if one drive is busy, or even two, thereby increasing the smoothness of overall operation.

Don't remove the page file from the SSD no matter what bullshit "tweak guide" you read, don't disable anything in Windows actually just because you have an SSD. Most every "tweak guide" to improve performance with an SSD is bullshit and just goes against the basic operation altogether.

Note that Microsoft, Apple, any Linux distro producer, Samsung, Corsair, Mushkin, SanDisk, PNY, Patriot, Intel, and any other software or SSD hardware maker out there will NEVER recommend anything you'll find in those guides, not one fucking thing.

Even at the OCZ forums the recommendations made for the tweaks is never provided by anyone working for that company directly, it's by non-employees that think they know shit and they don't.

Install Windows, put a static 1GB page file on each physical drive, and just use the god damned thing, it'll be fast enough.
>>
SSD - Gentoo
WD Blue - Arch
WD Green - Haiku
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.