[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google Already Gave Up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: GettyImages-180495355-1024x697.jpg (207 KB, 1024x697) Image search: [Google]
GettyImages-180495355-1024x697.jpg
207 KB, 1024x697
Looks like Google has abandoned yet another startup.

>On Wednesday, the San Francisco-based Internet service provider Webpass announced that Google Fiber has agreed to buy the company. Webpass primarily offers what it calls “point-to-point wireless”

>From the end-user’s perspective, the connection is simply a traditional ethernet port like you’d find in corporate offices or dorm rooms.

Yeah, a wifi that goes across the city is the same as cabled fiber.

>But earlier this year Google Fiber began testing wireless Internet service in Kansas City in an attempt to cut the costs of deploying high-speed connections.

RIP GOOGLE FIBER - TELECOMS WON

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/google-fiber-just-swallowed-another-internet-provider/
>>
>>55231800
Yeah, I guessed that too, it's way too early for something like Fiber. They will try again, in a few years.
>>
Installing fiber was always going to be a huge problem in big, well-established cities. Kansas City? Motherfucking Chattanooga, Tennessee? No problem laying down new lines. Try doing the same shit in New York or Chicago. I doubt anyone knows where all the network lines even are in those towns.
>>
>>55232016
I'm sure city councils hold the key to the schematics of all those things.
>>
>>55231943
>They will try again, in a few years.
Like they tried again in all their abandoned projects right? ;)
>>
what's wrong with point to point radios m8? just make sure no trees or ice cover the line of sight. ffs are you this new? wired is trash for those quotation marks. srsly are we going backward in time because of reverse hype?
>>
>>55232833
Chicago city council is a bunch of crooks and racketeers. They like pandering to NIMBYs and expect backhanders in return for their support of or acquiescence to any major building project.
>>
wow once again wired mag is trash.
p2p is not new, 1gbps perhaps is.
the end user would use wifi ap if they had it setup, bottleneck to 300mbps ofc. why do people act supprised, they aren't even calling it fiber, same brand, etc. normies plz leave.

>connecting directly to the botnet, i shiggy diggy m8.
>>
>>55232969
*could use.
>>
>>55232833
>I'm sure city councils hold the key to the schematics of all those things.
And guess who's paying them to keep it from google?
>>
>>55232833
hahahahahahahahaha

city councils are just a bunch of incompetent power hungry shits

they know nothing, literally know nothing, you are better off googling for answers then going to them
>>
San Francisco resident here

WebPass kicks ass. Their service is fast, rock-solid, and low latency and they don't fuck around with your connection with shit like packet shaping or ad injection or DNS hijacking or anything like that, and they don't give two fucks about what you're doing with your connection even if you torrent all day erry day.

Most of their coverage is in the form of P2P radio but they do have a chunk of the city covered in gigabit fiber. Google was smart to buy them out, and now that Webpass (they're going to continue to run independently from Google Fiber) has Google funding behind them, AT&T and Comcast should be scared. Very scared.
>>
>>55231800

Webpass is a pretty great ISP. I hope Google doesn't fuck it up.

Gigabit ethernet limited to 500/500 to a patch panel in my closet for $65 a month. No bandwidth tracking or other bullshit.

The only down side is that V4 is behind a nat, so you need to use V6 if you want to connect back to your home systems.
>>
>>55233016
>being this much of a googleshill
Fuck off. Nobody is going to replace Comcast, especially not pajeetgle.
>>
>>55231800
Live in phoenix and google apparently got sued for trying to put out fiber here.
>>
>>55233022
>>55233016
Good god the shills are out in full force tonight.
>>
>>55233049
No kidding right? Fucking hell, google has a really large presence on here.
>>
>>55233016
>Google was smart to buy them out, and now that Webpass (they're going to continue to run independently from Google Fiber) has Google funding behind them, AT&T and Comcast should be scared. Very scared.

you really think Google won't look at this as an opportunity to monitor traffic? You really think they won't keep logs of every DNS request you ever make, tied to your real identity?
>>
This is great. It means I can get reasonably priced Internet access within my life time instead of waiting another 200 years for Google fiber to reach me.

>>55233082
So no different than every relevant ISP?
>>
>>55233115
>every ISP does it so Google gets a Get out of Jail free card.\
Fuck off googledrone.
>>
>>55233037
>>55233049
>>55233082
what the hell, is it impossible to happy with an ISP or something?

seriously, the only time I've ever had better internet service than what I get from webpass was when I lived in Tokyo, which has always destroyed the US in terms of internet speed and coverage anyway
>>
>>55233126
I would rather be humped by Google than raped by Comcast.
>>
>>55232920
>fiber
>backward in time
>unreliable and shitty technology with high latency
>forward in time
>>
>>55233137
impossible no, unlikely yes.

My main quibble was with the guy who said Google's acquisition of them was a good thing. Google does not respect your privacy, which is something an ISP should do. What's the use of 500/500 if you have to connect to Tor or a VPN server halfway around the world to foil your ISP's DPI or such?
>>
Call my employer shit 1 more time, see what happens.
>>
Meanwhile every other first world country is rolling out fibre for over 10 years now.
>>
>>55233173
People don't realize how big the us is, the amount of infrastructure and labor needed to be paid for is insane. The only people that have fiber networks spanning the nation are isp backbones, government institutions, and universities.
>>
>>55233184
Shut the fuck up retard, money is not the issue, everyone in the entire US could have better internet than Korea right now if the telecoms weren't fucking kikes and politicians corrupt.
>>
>>55232016
It isn't like Houstons roads aren't always being worked on anyway. How the hell they managed to get fiber in the cluster fuck that is Austin is beyond me. Oh and fuck Dallas.
>>
>>55233163
I. Don't. Care.
>>
>>55233203
Why not? I think you should.
>>
>>55233184
>hurr US is big
Why does Russia have ftth then. My city has it since 2006. I'll tell you why, because we don't have provider monopolies(well, maybe in mobile we do).
>>
>>55233257
And no one lives in 90% of Russia
>>
>>55233173
Yeah countries with a population of around a few million and only 1 relevant city
>>
>>55231943
I don't see why it's too early. Europe is starting to invest massively in FTTH. You can have a fiber connection in most large towns.
>>
>>55231800
>Yeah, a wifi that goes across the city is the same as cabled fiber.
I don't think you understand how fast microwave backhaul links are.
>>
>>55233499
And no one lives in 90% of USA.
>>
>>55233543
about the same speed as all our data already travels at maybe? speed of light?
>>
>>55233560
Look at a population density map for the US and Russia.
>>
>>55233724
>Census Bureau: 94.6 Percent of U.S. Is Rural Open Space
Keep moving the goal post, retard.
>>
>>55233842
I didn't realize you are too retarded to understand population density maps. My mistake, friend.
>>
>>55233917
;)
>>
>>55231800
>>From the end-user’s perspective, the connection is simply a traditional ethernet port like you’d find in corporate offices or dorm rooms.
>Yeah, a wifi that goes across the city is the same as cabled fiber.

Well, yeah... It's essentially a proprietary wireless canopy network. The end user would have a receiver installed for them and then a cat 5 connection ran into their homes, most likely, and as far as they're concerned, they just plug into it. The company usually owns all of the equipment so the end user never really bothers with it outside of setting up their own local network. It's not exactly new technology. A lot of wireless ISPs in rural areas where fiber or cable can't be run have been using this technology for years now.
>>
>>55232016
I know you were just using examples but I doubt you'll see Google in Chattanooga any time soon unles they buy out the EPB which already has a 10 gig fiber network established that costs around $60/month.
>>
would would take for somewhere random like palm springs area to get fiber
>>
>>55231800
Did anyone actually think Google Fiber would last?

Come on
>>
>>55232016
How about just running it overhead? That's how we do it in Eastern Europe and it works great.

Low population density = easy peasy run it underground; high population density = easy peasy run it overhead like a cyberpunk utopia.
>>
>>55231800
I live in a 3rd world shithole and even us have end to end FTTH from our ISP
>>
>>55237751
3rd world shitholes have no laws standing in the way of ISPs stringing cables wherever they damn please and no entrenched ISP monopolies to stop competition.
>>
File: 1439899788381.jpg (45 KB, 470x459) Image search: [Google]
1439899788381.jpg
45 KB, 470x459
>>55231943
>it's way too early for something like Fiber
>europe has had fiber since early 2000
>>
>>55237923
>europe
where's that again?
>>
>>55233184
This is the true (((Shill))) in this thread.
Monopoly defending telecom drone DETECTED.
>>
File: hankhappy.jpg (6 KB, 204x258) Image search: [Google]
hankhappy.jpg
6 KB, 204x258
>tfw a company you do part-time work for has been in talks with google
>tfw they've already won projects to do entire fiber rings for at least two cities
>tfw microtrenching
>>
How can it be so hard to get a fiber in America? My small village in Finland got one for 3K per person.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.