[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - stupid questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 2404069584_1e99808ac1_o.jpg (295 KB, 1600x1198) Image search: [Google]
2404069584_1e99808ac1_o.jpg
295 KB, 1600x1198
Post your questions here.
Don't start threads to ask them.
>>
Summary of situation. Hacker had a Trojan into my Windows laptop. Writing random shits all over the place. Mouse clicking on its own. Ran antiviruses. A Trojan found in a webcam program. Removed. Same shits still happening. Ran antiviruses. Nothing found. Ran Avast boot scan. Nothing found. Ran Malwarebytes in safe mode. Nothing found. Reset laptop using recovery solution (Samsung). Infected again. Suspected router compromisation. Reset router and laptop. Infected again.

Now I am waiting for an ISP guy to install new internet connection with a Ubuntu bootable USB in one hand and a pen to reset router in the other.

He installs internet. I reset router. Don't connect it to internet just yet. Clean-install Ubuntu on my laptop and erase all (cursed) disk space. Then connect router to the Internet. Connect laptop to Wi-Fi. Configure Wi-Fi on laptop to enhance security.

Will this save me?

I am fearing the worst case. Do you think I need to suspect BIOS infection? If that is the case what i am going to do today will be all in vain right?

Send help.
>>
>>55230571
post more kittens, op! :)
>>
File: 8wUDrn3.jpg (10 KB, 286x405) Image search: [Google]
8wUDrn3.jpg
10 KB, 286x405
Trying to piece together a cheap 600$ pc build, pls criticize and point out flaws

WD 1TB cheapo harddrive
Asus M5A97 AMD Mobo
EVGA GTX 960 2GB
Seasonic M12II 620W psu
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHZ, dual core
>>
Hi /g/, I bought a new video card to install into an old system, prior to installing I did a fresh install of win 7.
Then I plugged the new card in, and now win crashes when it gets to the windows loading screen.
I've tried reinstalling windows as some forums online suggested, but the motherboard won't read any usb or external dvd drive as number one in boot priority and keeps trying to boot from the harddrive which leads to the same problem.
The only thing that trumps the HDD boot priority is the CD Drive, which I've used to successfully boot Ubuntu.
So what do?
Are the old drivers from the previous gpu getting in the way, where can I find them and uninstall them?
Could it be something else? Pls help.
>>
>>55230601
Could be an infected USB that keeps re-infecting you.
>>
>>55230601
Take out the wireless keyboard/mouse adaptor. It was just me, your brother, having some fun at your expense.
>>
>>55230601
you need to contact the hacker by speaking into the webcam. ask them to kindly remove the infection or you will go to the FBI.
>>
>>55230609
use case? :^)
>>
>>55230609
960 is a waste of money with the new cards right on the horizon.
You don't really need a 620w PSU for that setup, the i3-6100 is 51 watts for fucks sake.
>Not falling for the 16 GB RAM meme
Get 12 at least, noob. Also, get an SSD so you can install your OS on it.
>>
What does the LED on my motherboard briefly flashing orange when I turn it on mean? It will not post, at least not yet. I've double checked all the cables/connections, installed it on motherboard standoffs, tried literally everything. It's a Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI and the LED that briefly flashes orange is by the IO ports behind the USB (I'm pretty sure it's the only LED it has).

I saw a forum post when googling that said it was a power issue, but I couldn't find anything official anywhere.
>>
>>55230615
try to install Ubuntu. it sound dumb, but if both windows and Linux are unable to install, there is a problem with your video card bios.
source: had the same problem with my evga 760.
>>
>>55230636
Alright, so weaker psu.
Will 3 4GB ram cards take a mcshit on my stuff, and which gtx is a good sub for 960
>>
>>55230616
can i disinfect it by hard-formatting it then?

do you think what i will do today will get this bastard out of my system finally?

>>55230628
no fbi. am in japan
>>
>>55230647
Try a different PSU, still same issue? RMA it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57 KB, 1920x1080
>>55230647
You didn't even tell us the manufacturer.
>>
>>55230661
You might need to clean install Windows by wiping all partitions and starting over from scratch. Make sure you have drivers ready.
>>
>>55230676
But I included my motherboard model. My PSU is an EVGA one if that matters.
>>
>>55230656

The only reason why I can't install windows is because I can't get the motherboard to give boot priority to a USB or an external DVD drive, its only picking up on the CD Drive.
(The motherboard is very old)
Windows is already installed, I was just trying to do a fresh reinstall with the new video card connected.
>>
Does anyone else use the phrase "by the each" to annoy your boyfriend?
>>
Is there a way to make 7z read from a file of passwords, and attempt to extract it going down the list of passwords provided?

Having to do over 100 a day is tiring
>>
I have a HUGE db I want to search though a lot, is there any free host that will allow me to do so?
Searching it on my local machine isn't cutting it...
>>
>>55230682
i said i am clean installing ubuntu in my original post

i just want to know if i have to suspect BIOS infection because i know then reinstalling OS won't solve the problem
>>
>>55230661
I'd recommend sanitizing it by unscrewing the drive and wiping down each disk. That gets the bugs out.
Just make sure to move the little arm out of the way or it will get in the way when removing the disks!
If that fails, contact the drive maker and file a warranty claim. Make sure to put the disks back in in the same order you removed them or all your data will be out of order!
>>
Best way to get surround sound working?

Motherboard outputs: 6 3.5mm jacks. One S/PDIF out. Running RealTek software.

Receiver: Mitsubishi M-VR600 Dolby Pro Logic. Inputs are only 2 red/white RCA
>>
>>55230660
3x4 GB RAM sticks should be fine.
Get an RX 470 or 480
Use this to choose a proper power supply wattage http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
>>
Best photo viewer for windows?
>>
>>55230704
BIOS infection is extremely rare due to the huge number of BIOS out there. It's unlikely you're going to be targeted from BIOS infection unless you're on some govt's very naughty list.
>>
>>55230685
I remember seeing a Linux distribution that can boot from CD or floppy then hand over control to USB/DVD. I'll try to find it.
>>
>>55230722
FSViewer
IrfanView
>>
>>55230571
How much "abuse" can a mobo take before it's damaged/dies in a week or so? Amount of mobo flex before it's totally fucked? Should I expect instant death or reduced lifespan/issues a few years from now?
>>
>>55230729

Thank you, but before you go to all the trouble, do you have any idea if a reinstall of windows would help my original problem with the crashing?
I'm just here assuming that the problem is due to the drivers from the previous card.
>>
>>55230727
i do have someone (who is good at tech stuff) who would do this to me.
is there any possibility that he wrote a BIOS virus just to attack me?
>>
>>55230685
>>55230729
Found it. Try Plop Boot Manager. Very useful on old PCs, esp. old servers with only CD boot in BIOS.
>>
>>55230790
yes
contact the local police and have them investigate him just to make sure. remain anonymous, ofc, in case of retaliation hacking.
>>
>>55230711
There are adapters for RCA -> 3.5mm. I have one in my closet somewhere and have used it before.
>>
>>55230796

Thank you!
>>
>>55230762
It can't help to try and save on RMA shipping costs. Plus, Windows always benefits from a reinstall.
>>
>>55230828
Yeah you can get them off Amazon and eBay for like $4-5
>>
>>55230813
they wont do jack shit
i really just want to get free from this parasite. because i already fucked him over something important. if i could just disappear and he cant find or control me anymore, that will be the best solution and revenge.

tldr; i wont cotact authorities cause they wont do jack shit. i just want to know what i can do to get rid of this loser

what i am going to do today
1. Change ISP
2. Reset my router
3. Clean-install Ubuntu on my laptop.

i really have no idea what i could do if in fact it really is BIOS infection
>>
>>55230877
Reflash your BIOS with a known good version.
>>
are ferrite blocks absolutely necessary?
>>
is there a way to get midi files to play in chrome instead of having to download them?
>>
>>55230922
Only if you're doing analogue, and only if the signal quality is high quality/resolution enough.
>>
Pretty sure it's a stupid question

I'm switching from Win10 to linux, for obvious reasons. I'm asking the age-old question of what distro to use. I've tried Xubuntu on my laptop and was thinking of using Kubuntu. But I've also heard there was some type of backdoor with amazon or something with ubuntu distros. I'm pretty new to linux, only fucked with it for giggles, and I would prefer something that can at least moderately support gaming. So what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>55230954
There was some Amazon stuff enabled by default only in the Unity interface. Xubuntu and Kubuntu were unaffected. It seems to be off by default now. fixubuntu.com can tell you how to verify its off.
>>
>>55230828
Problem is a single 3.5mm jack won't do surround sound.

I think you need something weird like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-GAME-CONSOLE-ADAPTER-FOR-5-1-SPEAKER-SYSTEMS/281952027417?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D32387bec72a94fa8a01925c7b8106933%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D261014433500
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Signal-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-Adapter-RCA-L-R-/371095157264?hash=item5666feba10:g:2uQAAOSw5dNWsEXz
>>
>>55230954
Let me spare you all the FUD and fedora tipping that comes up whenever Ubuntu is brought up.
Canonical finally backed down and removed the Amazon search scope.
Was this a bad move to begin with? Yes.
Have they made things right? Basically.
Are other Ubuntu based distributions affected? Nope, they never were.
Was this as bad as it's made out to be? No, it was always easily removable, and search data was anonymized. It was blown out of proportion mainly due to some poor word choices on Canonical's part and the Linux community always being more suspicious than, say, Windows users.
>>
How can I tell if a tv will accept a 120hz external signal? Only thing I could find was a 3 year old article where you spoof your tv as a monitor to force the signal. Is the only way to test it myself?
>>
Is the Intel ac 8260 fully supported by Linux? Like, if I install Ubuntu it'll just work without having to download anything?
>>
>>55231035
Is it a CRT? Then yes.
Otherwise, you'll have to do frame timing tests.
>>
>>55230711
Since your receiver does not support surround you would need a new receiver.
>>
>>55231047
Give it a try. It's free.
>>
>>55230895
So if I

1. Change ISP.
2. Reset router.
3. Reflash BIOS of laptop.
4. Clean-install Ubuntu on laptop.

Will this make me free?

Can the router's BIOS also be infected? How do I get rid of that then? Will just installing new firmware suffice?
>>
>>55231117
I'm actually >>55230647 , I can't try it until I get my motherboard back from Gigabyte.
>>
>>55231019
>>55231030
Thank you kindly for the responses.
Would you then recommend an ubuntu distro or would there be another you would recommend?
>>
>>55231150
Ubuntu is a pretty good tool. Just don't expect it to be a video game.
>>
>>55231125
If you can desolder the BIOS chips, you can usually pick a set of prongs/pins, put a bridge between them with solder, resolder it, and it'll reflash every power cycle to prevent infection.
>>
>>55231051
Not a crt was just thinking of upgrading to a larger tv. Ok followup question so in the situation where it frame skips would I still get 3:2 pulldown? In that case isn't getting a 60hz panel tv cheaper.
>>
Daz's loader installs chinese malware, does anyone have a windows loader that works?
>>
What certs should I start off with to have a broad spectrum of available jobs in the industry?
>>
what is the proper workflow for replacing a video card?

e.g,

uninstall old driver package plus ccc/ncp
shut down, replace card
reboot
install new driver

or something else?
>>
how do i change volume in MPV
>>
File: pepe wtf.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
pepe wtf.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
I need a HDD /g/. Why are they so fucking expensive? Literally the same fucking price they were 2 or 3 years ago. Should I just wait until they come down in price?
>>
What am I supposed to do with old GPUs?
>>
>>55231582
yeah hdd tech is not progressing and the market is stagnant. it's shit. I guess it depends on how bad you need one.
>>55231602
put together pcs from old builds to use for htpc, toaster-tier games in another room with a CRT, emulator box, etc. or just sell it to some idiot on ebay. I find it's worth waiting until you have enough parts to build a second computer.
>>
>>55231516
'9' and '0'
You can change them in input.conf if you want it otherwise
>>
>>55231582
Prices have been fucked ever since that flood that completely destroyed the HDD market like 4 years ago. Just buy a cheap HDD and a good external for other storage like music and videos etc, externals are cheaper than actual HDDs here with same speeds but twice the storage(!)

You'll likely never run out of room if you have 4tb of space
>>
File: No connection.png (18 KB, 613x179) Image search: [Google]
No connection.png
18 KB, 613x179
Restarted my computer only to reboot into the ethernet not working while wireless does.

Scanned for malware and none came back, looking to see if it's my driver or something.

Worked five minutes ago, then bam restart and this.

Please send help, thank you.
>>
Whats a good monitor to use for a side vertical monitor to my main 1440p monitor?
>>
>>55231698
>never run out of room
>looks at data drive
>174GB of 18TB free
>never out of room
>>
>>55230700
You would need to program it yourself.
>>
File: 1466723362233.jpg (56 KB, 476x500) Image search: [Google]
1466723362233.jpg
56 KB, 476x500
I flashed CM13 on my note 2 from it's stock ROM and it's now getting much worse battery life compared to how it was, on touchwiz, i'd get about 6hr SOT, now I'm barely breaking 4 and it's running warmer too.
What gives? Anything I can do to remedy this?
>>
How do you escape the aqemu vm window?

Mouse and keyboud input locks in to the window,and i havent found a keybind to escape
>>
Is there any "computer cleaner" to get rid of useless files that actually works and is free?
>>
>>55231780
The fuck are you even doing to use the much? 4k video editing and never deleting the files?
>>
What are some good free harddrive defraggers available for Windows?
>>
a friend of mine notices that i have tree style tabs, and just told me that they've been thinking for months about switching over to firefox, with the final straw being once they realized they could have all of their bookmarks and everything from chrome go to firefox, and also have it be on their phone, which official version of firefox is best for a normal user that doesn't know too much about technology, i don't want them to be scared off by if there's any bloat or anything, i wouldn't know because I use Pale Moon and synchronizing things doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>55231682
thank
>>
>>55232106
Use firefox-aurora
It has needed features, but provides the normal firefox environment
>>
>>55232004

It even has one built in.
>>
>>55230753
as long as the traces are still in place you should be okay.
>>55231456
Should be okay. Maybe clone the HDD just for safety purposes?
>>55231733
I would say Install Gentoo, but yeah it's probably a driver issue. Is the device being recognized? There isn't a lot of info here.
>>55231863
Unoptimizations, or apps/service running in background that CM introduced? Or maybe Touchwiz does some backgrounding/power management magic. Maybe try some other ROMs?
>>55231889
CCleaner
>>55232004
Defraggler

Here's my question: Helping a friend with a Macbook. Need to use a 3.5 HDD. Can I power it with my own PSU and run a SATA data extender to the Macbook Pro? The issue seems to be the laptop can't power the drive. Make sense?
>>
>>55232340

>Can I power it with my own PSU and run a SATA data extender to the Macbook Pro?

Only if your hardware is Apple too. It needs an "iPower Energy Source" and an "Apple SATA" cable, which basically is the same thing but the connector has a different shape.
>>
>>55230850

The program worked and the fresh install of Windows fixed everything. Thank you my friend.
>>
>>55232004
Isn't the best way to copy files somewhere else, reformat and copy tham back?
>>
Are PCIe wifi adapters better than USB ones? Or are there pretty much no differences?
>>
>>55232474
Yes, USB has more latency and worse signal strength generally.
>>
>>55232495
What about USB vs the built in wifi on a mini ITX motherboard?
>>
>>55232419
I can't tell if you're joking or not, could you go into a little more detail?

>third party storage DOES work with Macbooks
>currently there is a 2.5 500GB HD inside
>I can connect the Macbook HD to my own PC

So everything seems to work out. Hell I can connect my own hard drive but it isn't powered.

I should specify it's a 2010 13 inch Macbook, the upgradable ones.
>>
>>55232519
It is hard wired to the board via the same lanes
>>
File: cdi.png (79 KB, 674x768) Image search: [Google]
cdi.png
79 KB, 674x768
>5 year old laptop
>recently suddenly started freezing at random times, have to pull out battery
>ran all sorts of hardware (memtest, windows own, lenovo tools, intel processor test) and software tests

>now suddenly slow as fuck, esp when booting up
>slow in general
>task manager shows HDD usage spikes while doing almost anything, often 100%
>CrystalDiskInfo shows pic related

new HDD (or SSD) needed right now?
>>
>>55232817
you got a svchost virus
>>
>>55232817
Sounds likes it deading.
You should back it all up.
You could try to do a reinstall, it could be windows being fuckey.
Otherwise grab a new ssd
>>
>>55232654
In theory, if the only thing that was wrong with the macbooc was that the hard drive power rail was nonfucntional, then you could power it externally and connect the data back to the macbook, but I really doubt that is the only thing wrong with it if the hard drive isn't powering up.
>>
>>55230571
cute cat
>>
On Fedora 24, how the fuck do you extend a partition? On every other distro I've tried gparted just werks, but since the partition is lvm2 (and inside an extended partition while the unallocated space isn't) it just doesn't work for whatever reason. I've tried googling around, and from what i can gleam lvm is suppoate to be easier to resize, yet not a single result tells me how to actually resize lvm2 partitions. It's really maddening.
>>
>>55230571
How to dual boot?
>>
>>55230571
do cats have a strong immune system from licking themselfs?
>>
>>55233047
Because you're a blind faggot
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lvm#Growing_or_shrinking_with_lvresize

AND
its so fucking easy
>>
File: WHY WONT IT FINISH.jpg (43 KB, 494x306) Image search: [Google]
WHY WONT IT FINISH.jpg
43 KB, 494x306
I'm having the hardest time trying to installing pic related. I have tried stopping it and reinstall. Idk honestly have no clue what is the problem. I can't even play my demo of Bloodstain without installing this.
What do?
>>
does a ddr3 memory work in a ddr4 mainboard?
>>
>>55233078
Let it install?
>>
>>55233083
Generally no, but there are some motherboards that support both.
>>
>>55233093
I have been waiting for a couple hours now.
>>
How hard is it to download/install debian? I am getting a T510 without an OS and I am thinking on getting either ubuntu or debian. Ubuntu is easy to install, but I was wondering about debian
>>
>>55230700
what was wrong with the answer i gave you yesterday?
>>
>>55233350
No one replied.
>>
>>55233360
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55213250#p55216253
>>
>>55233069
Thanks, although now I've run into a new problem. When i try to extend it, it says "insufficient free space: 36864 extents needed, but only 1 available". What's going on here? Is it because the unallocated space is outside the extended partition?
>>
>>55233376
Didnt see that, sorry.

I'm not seeing how to put that in a script that would recursivly extract a folder of rar files,searching the password file until it finds one that works, i was using the following manally changing the password each time.Password file would be static for every command. ~/keylist.txt
#!/bin/bash
find . -type f -iname '*' -exec 7z x -aos -p {} \;
>>
>>55233431
that was intended to be run like;
./script.sh arc.7z passwords.txt

here's something to run without arguments;
for f in *.rar; do
while read p; do
7z x -p"$p" "$f"
done < ~/passwords.txt
done
>>
Is software dev or webdev easier to get into career-wise?
>>
What's a good music program to use on my android? Google Play is really weird, I've just been using the regular music app. Google play syncs my itunes stuff, will it show on the other music app if I download it through google play?
>>
Installed Win 7 on an old computer that used to run XP and replaced a GPU that was faulty with a new one.
It ran fine at first but as soon as I installed a few applications, it's crawling at an unbearable speed.

What's the most effective upgrade at the moment?
What I'm dealing with:
- 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 RAM
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane Dual-Core 2.5 GHz CPU
- Abit AN52 Motherboard

I figured the RAM was the first thing that needed a boost to 4g, as well as a possible SSD.
Thoughts?
>>
i am being DDoS'd.
what do i do
its been hours

writing this on my phone over cellular data
>>
>>55233534
mplayer
>>
I have an AMD X2 5000+ with 8GB of RAM with a bunch of smaller (250GB/500GB) hard drives.

What's a decent project for a 'low CPU/decent RAM/low storage' system?

(Feel free to assume that I do not need any extra services.)

ESXi/VM system?
>>
>>55233534
Vanilla player on F-droid
>>
Quick someone

What is by far the best linux distribution for backing up system images of windows 7? I'd preferably have built-in imaging tools in there because the windows one sucks some serious ass and literally takes days to complete.

Also it would be good if said OS could be installed quickly and via USB. Oh and it should be compatible with the acer aspire one netbook series too
>>
>>55233607
change ip
>>
>>55233625
Thats a good facebook/1080p60fps streamer.
>>
>>55230700
oclHashcat?
>>
>>55233565
>I figured the RAM was the first thing that needed a boost to 4g
Yes

Also, have you checked that it's not windows update downloading shit in the background that is causing it?
Had that once on an old laptop that i "upgraded" to W7, it was barely usable and would lock up all the time until i set it to download and install updates over night to get it over with.
>>
Could anyone please post the trusted PSU list/PSU ranking list?
Pretty sure my PSU got fucked in recent thunderstorms since I'm getting consistent surge related shutdowns and while I will be replacing the power block, I'm guessing there'll also be damage to my PSU and will need to replace it.
Thank you in advance.
>>
>>55233757

I'm pretty sure I set the updates not to download automatically when I first installed Windows because I'm trying to avoid that one anti-piracy update from installing on it's own. But I'll double check tomorrow morn.

Are the cpu/motherboard out of the question when it comes to how slow it's running?
>>
What's a good website for streaming movies online with friends with chat? Preferably no registration required.
>>
Will my IGPU (hd5500, i3-5005u) benefit from dual channel ram? If so, how big the difference will be?
>>
>>55233650
tell me how to do it
reset router and nothing happened>>55233668
>>
>>55233650
tell me.how to change my ip without them noticing pls
>>
>>55233974
If you're on a static IP you need to contact your ISP

>>55233988
Figure out how they got it to begin with if you want to prevent it happening again.
>>
I'm getting horrible transfer rates on my data drives.
They are sata 3-6gbs
But they are transfering around 3mb/s.
I'm transfering large quantities of files reguraly, i cant figure out what it would be.
I used brand new connectors for every drive in my case.There is no firmware upgrade. SMART shows no errors,even ran extended tests on each one, and nothing. The drive is perfect outside of the low transfer rate.
Where else do i turn to, to find out what is slowing it down?
>>
>>55233995
they are admins of a forum i post to so they know my IP address naturally.
>>
>>55234083
well either stop using the forum or use a vpn/proxy
>>
I'm trying to learn C++ on windows right now but I have bloodshead installed for some stupid reason and it's being a shit.
What is the best alternative?
>>
>>55234083
Log out of forum
Delete cookies
Close browser
Router DHCP Release
Wait 5 minutes
Router DHCP Renew
Dont login to the forums
>>
How do I stop my phone from continuously interrupting with a popup for system update? I tried disabling notifications from Google services, but it still pops up periodically asking to do it later or now, and it fails everytime I try to update it.
>>
>>55234151
Motorola? Disable MotorolaOTA
>>
Please help, /g/, cause im stupid. Its a bad deal to use the rx480 with a i5 4500 or something? I am poor and want to play dem witcher 2 bootleg. Help.
>>
>>55234251
Great, I just got fired.
>>
I have a computer with a shit ton of music,pictures, and videos. how do I switch it from one computer to the next because I have to toss the old one.
>>
>>55234262
what do you mean?
>>
>>55234262
PROMOTIONS
>>
>>55234251
Get a job.
>>
>>55234276
Pull the drive and hook it up to the new computer to copy everything over.
There are a dozen other ways you could do it but this is the fastest.
>>
>>55234262
because she is underage? its ok, they will never know
>>
How can I tell if a GPU will be bottlenecked by a CPU or vice versa looking at specs? What is bottlenecking caused by?
I'm getting caught up in the new GPU hype and I want to make sure I don't make some stupid impulsive 500 dollar purchase
>>
>>55234311
Can i just purchase a portable hard drive and back it up to that then switch it over to the next computer ? I'm avoiding doing what you recommended because I am a fuck up and I really don't wanna fuck up
>>
>>55234335
A lot of it is just guesstimation, and it varies from game to game. Some games are very heavily CPU reliant, and even that comes in a couple flavors. Some games only use 1-2 or 2-4 threads, others can utilize more.
When in doubt just ask about the specific combo here and you'll probably get a decent answer.

>>55234362
Yes that also works
>>
>>55233644
>>55233644
Someone respond pls
>>
>>55234092
codelite
codeblocks
they both are good.
Other alternative would be to install gentoo and have a decent operating system.
>>
>>55233298
debian have a graphical installer. The install process isn't very different from ubuntu.
The unique issue with debian is that it doesn't enable the non-free packages by default so you might have to install your wifi drivers or graphical drivers manually according your hardware. That's not very difficult and the wiki explain everything, but it's not a just werk distribution for everyone.
>>
>>55234402
Thanks.
>>
Is there any sort of external display that hooks up through a USB instead of VGA / DVI / HDMI?

It doesn't need to be very big, in fact the smaller the better.
>>
File: 1446348586347.jpg (358 KB, 1361x696) Image search: [Google]
1446348586347.jpg
358 KB, 1361x696
I have about 3000 music files on my PMP, a Fiio X3ii, but the issue is the fucking thing shows the filename instead of the name of the track.
So I end up with ##/Artistname/Trackname. With the limited screen size sometimes I have to wait for the letters to scroll to see the track name.
I would rather change it ##/Trackname. I can easily do this in Foobar but I prefer the current naming setup on my PC, I only want to do this on my player.
Any programs or scripts that allow me to do this?
>>
>>55230571
fund a person opposite to you. then fuck. have baby, after that post more op.
>>
>>55234400
any
they are programs
not distros
they work on everything
>>
>>55234475
https://superuser.com/questions/757411/how-to-bulk-rename-audio-files-so-that-the-file-name-matches-the-title-metadata
>>
>>55234239
Boost ZTE Warp
>>
File: DSC_0136.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0136.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
Can anyone identify this connector name? It goes to headphones and a microphone.
>>
>>55234473
Yes, don't expect great driver support though.
>>
>>55234502
Looks like a quarter-inch audio cable? I don't know the technical term besides "bigger Auxiliary cable"

>>55234506
Do you know the names of any / where I can find one / if they work at all?
>>
do hdd eat up a lot more battery than sad?
>>
>>55234542
Marginally
>>
>>55234502
that's a trs variant used in military aircraft called U-174/U.
>>
>>55234542
Generally about a watt or two vs a 2.5" HDD

>>55234522
You could start by searching for "usb monitor"
They usually only work with windows.
>>
File: 1423950627495.jpg (31 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1423950627495.jpg
31 KB, 313x286
What is the best software solution to let 2 users play the same game on 1 computer but different screens?

Is there something else than expensive software or virtual box with usb filter?

Please give advice, dear /g/.
>>
What's the best 1080p60 IPS monitor with Freesync?
>>
>>55234639
>60hz
>>
>>55234632
What games?
Are you talking about emulation or regular PC games?
>>
>>55234646
High refresh rate IPS are way way out of me budget.
>>
>>55234652
I'm talking about regular PC games which need rather low ressources. I'd like to provide something to game on when a friend if coming over, without needing him to bring his own PC.
>>
>>55234760
It's not really possible without like, using a VM, even then I'm not sure if it would work.
>>
>>55230571
Is it a stupid idea to build a new budget AMD PC right now and not wait for the new shit around the corner?
>>
>>55234902
Maybe
>>
File: 1424554395436.png (278 KB, 706x412) Image search: [Google]
1424554395436.png
278 KB, 706x412
>>55230571
Just got a Droid Turbo 2. Am I just stupid or is there seriously no way to change the lock screen wallpaper?
>>
>>55234902
You should definitely wait.

The new AMD GPU line comes out VERY soon, so the old shit will drop in price. Wait for that.
>>
>>55234683
Get a 144hz rather than freesync honestly there is no tearing at all in comparison to a 60hz.. Don't fall for the memes
>>
>>55234760
You want to look in to multiseat software
>>55234773
Nope.
>>
How do i leave the google botnet?

What settings do i turn off to stop the bot net?

Also, i installed xposed on my android, what are the best modules?
>>
>>55235021
You can't lol. Google knows pretty much everything you do using their services. You have to not use them. Nothing will even come of it, you'll get different ads and things will be more specialised towards your interests but that's it. You're nothing special nobody gives a shit about your futa Google searches
>>
>>55235021
>leave google botnet
>android is currently being developed by google
...?
>>
>>55235021
Install CM without Google services and don't touch any of their shit.
>>
>>55230571
Hey

I want to go back to Windows 7 but it lacks a feature that Win10 and I think Win8 has, and that's sticky edges for multi-monitor stupport.

Any way I can get this feature with Windows 7?
>>
>>55234335
Check your GPU utilization. If it is not 100%, then it is bottlenecked.
>>
>>55235046

Manufacturers usually debotnet android though
>>
>>55235165
kek
>>
My 5 year old G500 is dying. Loses connection for 5-15 seconds every 10-30 minutes, after a few hours loses all hope and starts connecting and disconnecting every second, with the sensitivity lights blinking.
What's a good budget replacement for my dear G500?
>>
File: Kreygasm.png (91 KB, 184x192) Image search: [Google]
Kreygasm.png
91 KB, 184x192
I want to play the music from my computer through my microphone as clear as it would be if I was talking through my microphone. If you get what I want to do, could you please assist me ?
>>
>>55235376
You mean computer>speakers>mic?
You can do that with software if that's what you mean...
>>
>>55235376
?? set speakers next to microphone if you want "as good as speaking from mic" quality?? if you want clear computer quality set the input device as "stereo mix"
>>
>>55235410
I looked and I dont have stereo mixer. I will look into figuring out why I don't. Thanks for you help
>>
Does MU-MIMO on a router decrease latency?
>>
What's the easiest way to get rid off "Activate Windows, Go to Settings to activate Windows." overlay text in bottom right corner?

I have a valid license from a Windows 7 install I got from MSDNAA but it refused to be recognized during upgrade to Windows 10. So I cracked it and things were fine until recently and now I can't get rid of it again. I will not buy a new license just because my valid one refuses to work.
>>
File: 1457021496226.jpg (62 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1457021496226.jpg
62 KB, 640x640
Is this a good gaming build?

MSI R9 390 8GB Gaming
Intel Core i5-4460
ASROCK B85 Anniversary
Corsair VS 8GB DDR3 Memory
FSP/Fortron Hyper 700
Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7.2k SATA Gb/s 32MB
Zalman Z3 Plus
Kingston Technology SSDNow UV400 240GB
>>
>>55235165
They improve the botnet. Add a million extra botnets
>>
>>55235573
If this is a new build then you should wait for the RX480 probably
If this is a used build you're thinking of buying it depends on the price
>>
>>55235045
Well i reset my mac adress, IMEI, Serial Number, Bluetooth Mac Adress and my Avertising ID. EVery reboot.

Also disabled google search, removed all 'play' services, disable location services, and disable history.

But i still use Gmail and Youtube, so there is not much i can do about that. I did have a darknet email address. But it was a hassle to use.

All we need is a new youtube and email client then my name will hopefully never come up on search results.
>>
This hard drive will work fine in a laptop, right? There's nothing special about it as far as I can see, even though it is labeled as being for an HP Proliant.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant-405419-001-60GB-5-4K-RPM-2-5-SATA-HDD-MHV2060BS-390158-001-/231967789272?hash=item36025b90d8:g:HsUAAOSw5dNWq6n6
>>
>>55235603
WHats the exact model of your Laptop?
>>
>>55235610
Thinkpad X201
>>
File: wave1.png (54 KB, 1705x811) Image search: [Google]
wave1.png
54 KB, 1705x811
I noticed some loud noise on my flac audio and found this shit, is this what cause the noise?
Is this acceptable on a lossless audio file?
>>
>>55235623
Clipping. Could've been mastered that way, so you have a lossless copy of a clipped track.
>>
>>55230700

That is a very easy bash script job. Like 2 or 3 commands easy.
>>
>>55235594
I plan to buy this in a month or so, this is about a 1000usd, but i live in croatia so i doubt that the price will drop so soon.
>>
>>55235717
If it were in the US I wouldn't pay more than 600 for it, but I don't know how prices are there.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160624-202831~2.png (150 KB, 1123x702) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160624-202831~2.png
150 KB, 1123x702
>>55230571
What HDD Should I get for storing movies on? I'm looking at these three currently.
>>
What's a decent GPU for a...um...Intel [spoiler]Core 2 Duo E8500[/spoiler] until I can build a new, better PC? I'll be doing mostly video editing and extremely light video game playing (no moba shit).
>>
>>55235613
Yes but it's a 60GB HDD.

That's what you want, right?
>>
>>55235841
GTX 750 ti

>>55235839
Any of them would be fine for storing movies.
>>
Is it me, or do gopro's and other compact cameras have terrible video quality, no matter how big the resolution is?
>>
>>55235841
I could sell you a 750 Ti for $70.

If you live in Australia
>>
Do I need a visa to enter the UK? I'm an EU citizen.
>>
>>55235862
Did you take the plastic of the lens?

Friend left the plastic on the lens on his iphone 4s for 4 years. Never knew why it looked so blurry
>>
>>55235866
Yeah you need a visa for that.

But you don't need a visa to get entered by a muslim
>>
>>55235871
No, just watching youtube videos. When fast scenes come up it starts looking pixelated.
>>
>>55235885
That's just youtube.
>>
>>55235896
Oh, good then.
>>
>>55235896
Yeah
are >>55235885 (You) Australia by any chance?
>>
>>55235902
Europe
>>
>>55235907
First the UK leave you, then the internet provides.

Shame
>>
>>55235917
Who said im in an EU country? But yeah, getting shat by ISP. Literally costs me 3 dollars to go from 10 to 50 mbits but its somehow 'not gonna work' in my area.
>>
File: used.png (16 KB, 910x161) Image search: [Google]
used.png
16 KB, 910x161
Anyone have any experience buying used from Amazon? Shit's literally half the cost of a new one, but I have no clue what this vague description means since there's no actual image of the specific product.

Am I going to be gambling hard if I do this?

It's a Kindle if that means anything.
>>
>>55230700
>>55235710

I'm gonna just write this for the guy because I'm bored. Also I suck at bash, so I'll use c++.

// main.cpp
#include <ifstream>
#include <stdlib.h>
using namespace std;

int main(int argn, char* argv[])
{
// Assumes passwords are in passwords.txt

ifstream file;
char* password;
char* filename = argv[0];
char next;
file.open("./passwords.txt", ifstream::in);

while(file.good())
{
next = file.get();
if(next == '\n')
{
system("7z " + filename + " -x --password=\"" + password + "\""); // Please correct 7z argument usage
password = "":;
}
if(next == '\r')
continue;

password = password + next;
}
}

//EOF

Why did I do this.
>>
Anyone familiar with monitor overclocking?
I'm able to overclock my old BenQ (native 1080p@60) to 1080p@85, but I get a constant "out of range" sign in the middle, and no games recognize that setting.
It still works perfectly though, I can even run all the TestUFO stuff with no artifacts/frame skipping/whatever
>>
>>55235866
Situation is still the same as a week ago and will be for, at least, the next 2 years,

What happens after that will be negotiated during said years.
>>
File: 20160624_112920.jpg (230 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
20160624_112920.jpg
230 KB, 800x1066
What the hell is this?
>>
>>55236056
Wifi antenna
>>
>>55236056
FM radio receiver?
>>
File: wZ6LvUl.png (653 KB, 1968x2104) Image search: [Google]
wZ6LvUl.png
653 KB, 1968x2104
I'm trying to narrow down my router choices. I'm choosing between 8 different routers. Can I get some input from you guys on them? They're all 4x4 MU-MIMO, have USB 3.0, have open-source firmware available, and support guest networks.

TP-LINK:
$175 Archer C2600
$350 Talon AD7200

ASUS:
$300 RT-AC88U Wireless AC3100

NETGEAR:
$250 R7800 Nighthawk X4S AC2600
$360 R8500 Nighthawk X8 AC5300

D-Link:
$270 DIR-885L AC3150
$370 DIR-895L/R AC5300

Linksys:
$400 EA9500 MAX-STREAM AC5400

I'm leaning towards the cheap one, but I wanted to just make sure there wasn't anything retarded about it, or amazing about the others or something. The location isn't ideal, it goes through 4 walls and a floor, but a WRT54GL ALMOST manages it, so I don't think I'd need anything especially special from a modern router.
>>
I was going to post the following question, but I solved it. So here it is for reference:

Q:
On Firefox I can add custom keywords to search engines, as show in:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-search-from-address-bar

But some places don't offer that option when I right click the search bar, though it should be definitely possible.
e.g.
https://isthereanydeal.com/

Is there a way to override this? Maybe editing the bookmark?

A:

Go to the bookmarks menu and look for the "search" bookmarks. Once there create a new "search bookmark" and in "location" you put the url you want to use for searching. Make a test to get and example.

e.g.
https://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:INSURGENCY;/scroll:%23gamelist

Replace whatever you typed for "%s", so we get something like this.

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:%s;/scroll:%23gamelist

Put that url in the 'location' field of the 'search bookmark', assign a keyword. You're done.
>>
hey /g/
I love Libre office (pls no h8) and it use to be one of the best offices I've ever used. Why is 5.0 crashing? I right click a word or a grammar mistake and it just freezes up, then it unfreezes or acts like it does and doesn't do anything afterwards. Can't type, can't right click, it's like it's a still image

Ideas?
>>
How do i compile this?

https://github.com/mono/moon

Can someone please guide me
>>
>>55236286
>For standard Unix configuration/installation instructions, see the INSTALL file.
>https://github.com/mono/moon/blob/master/INSTALL
>>
File: 1466567953566.gif (2 MB, 380x238) Image search: [Google]
1466567953566.gif
2 MB, 380x238
>WD HDD colors
What do they mean?

I've only ever bought HDDs by buying external ones and removing the drive. Only because there's no PC stores around here and I didn't want to have a drive shipped to me through the post.

I'm thinking of getting a 2TB WD for my boot drive. And adding 2TB seagate drives as I need them. Instead of buying fewer 4TB drives.
>>
>>55236338
Blue is Consumer Grade
Black is Enthusiast Grade
Red is for Servers
Purple is 24 Hour Surveillance
>>
>>55236351
Thank you, anon.
>>
What a the best way of generating or creating a secure password?
>>
>>55236338
Black: High performance/reliability
Blue: Midrange, Blue drives over 1TB are actually green drives
Green: Budget, low power low speed drives
Red: Like green but with better reliability and firmware for use in RAID arrays
>>
>>55236369
Green doesn't exist anymore, replaced with Blue
>>
>>55236338
Blue is a normal drive, green says fuck everything for the sake of energy efficiency, black says fuck everything for the sake of performance, red has some weird shit going on to make it better for NAS and servers, purple is some weird shit for 24/7 use for security cameras.

Blacks are loud as fuck. Like, heard through interior walls. I've heard that greens are getting rolled into the blues now, so make sure you get a blue with 7200RPM, not 5400RPM, assuming you go that route.
>>55236366
Password manager, like KeePass.
>>55236372
New Old Stock.
>>
>>55236372
I went over that, just because its called blue doesn't make it not a green.
>>
>>55236331
Yeah but i'm really dumb
>>
Is there any advantage to using an M.2 SSD over a SATA SSD?
>>
>>55236410
Depends, if its m.2 pcie you can get better speeds
If its just m.2 sata mode it makes no difference.
>>
>>55235813
Wow, that's a big difference, guess it's more afordable there. Anyway, is this okay for running witcher 3 on high with no issues?
>>
>>55236331
open the terminal and type

first step is to create a directory where you'll compile the software.
mkdir -p ~/.manual-installation/moon-build
cd ~/.manual-installation/moon-build

Then you download the project.
git clone https://github.com/mono/moon

and you install it as written on the INSTALL file.
./configure
make
make check
make install
>>
>>55236463
Yes it should handle it fine on high at 1080p
>>
Is it possible to install more gddr ram on an older (7970) card?
>>
>>55236485
mean to >>55236386

And forgot to say. if you ever want to uninstall it you can go on this directory and make uninstall.
>>
>>55236490
No.
>>
File: BpPMmhZCUAMJNXL1.jpg (64 KB, 428x960) Image search: [Google]
BpPMmhZCUAMJNXL1.jpg
64 KB, 428x960
>>55236487
Okay, thanks for the help
>>
File: dedk.png (111 KB, 1458x440) Image search: [Google]
dedk.png
111 KB, 1458x440
>>55236485
Yeah but the problem is, everytime i do make when compiling. It gives me errors
>>
Hello /g/, sorry for the lenghty post but I don't really know where the problem lies here.
Whenever I plug my usb wifi adapter into my PC, it doesn't work and I get the error message about a root usb power surge. My keyboard stops working after that and I have to unplug the adapter and restart the PC to get everything working again.
Two days ago after getting back from a friends house, my PC didn't boot at all and the only sign of life was a blinking light on my GPU. I swapped rooms and outlets and it started working again, so I brought it back to my room where it worked fine, other than the usb issue described above. After getting home from work that day, the wifi adapter worked again and there weren't any issues for the rest of the day and all of yesterday until this morning where the usb issue came back.
So is this an issue with the wifi adapter? Or something more serious like the PSU or mobo?
>>
I found over 2,000 viruses on my PC the other day. I tried removing them but they would reappear every time I rebooted (7 of the original 2,000 to be exact). I did a full reinstall of my OS and wiped the HDD (I'd been meaning to move my OS onto an SSD and wiping everything for a while so this was no big deal).

My PC already got new viruses and there's a browser hijacker on it already. I don't know how this is happening. The only programs I've downloaded are very trust worthy, real mainstream shit like chrome, ccleaner, malwarebytes, qbittorrent and VLC player.

wtf is going on? I removed the user (myself) from chrome which gets rid of the hijacker but I'm worried I still have shit on my computer.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
>>
>>55236671
Should also mention that whatever this is is constantly uninstalling my browser plug-ins and deleting my browsing history/cookies/etc.
>>
>>55236671
Figure out what is in common between the times you got infected, the vector is somewhere in there
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.