[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I have an old laptop that I really like. Its a Dell Inspiron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: pic.jpg (45 KB, 650x517) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
45 KB, 650x517
So I have an old laptop that I really like. Its a Dell Inspiron 700m. It has a pentium m 780 CPU clocked (in theory)* at 2.26 GHz and 2 GB of RAM. The other day, I decided to play undertale on it. I wasn't sure if it would run on XP, but it did. Unfortunately, it just couldn't handle the graphics. It never actually crashed, but most of the "textures" (if you can call them that) were replaced with a white in full screen. Basically, if I run it full screen, I am moving a white box around on a white screen. If I don't play in full screen, I get most or all of the textures, but terrible lag. The fight screen sometimes runs at full speed using only 50% of the CPU, but as soon as the bullets are loaded, it slows dramatically.

I looked up the system requirements, and at minimum you are supposed to have a graphics card with 128 Mb or RAM. It now made sense why my laptop could not run it properly, as it really doesnt have a graphics card, but a graphics adapter. (this is back from 2004). The CPU was doing ALL the processing, and EVERY memory operation has to go from CPU to I/O controller to RAM and back again, instead of just using the vRAM.
(continued...)
>>
>>55226684
Since the graphics is integrated, I know that upgrading that is out of the question. I have stripped this fucker down to the mobo twice, replaced the HDD twice, and upgraded almost every other component The only parts of this machine that are original are the display, the chassis, the heat sink/fan assembly, and the CD drive. Literally EVERYTHING else has been replaced or upgraded. (I only say this to reinforce the fact that a solution to my problem does not have to be practical or easy for it to be valid in my eyes)

It has one PCI expresscard slot. I currently don't use it, but I know that there is hardware out there that allows you to use a desktop GPU with an expresscard adapter of some sort. I have found a few different ones, but they are all more expensive than I am willing to pay for this. To me, it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to make a simple expresscard to PCI card adapter. I realize that anyone who is going to do this has already done it since the technology is obsolete. This one http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616 can still be bought, but it ranges from $50 to $75. I would be willing to pay $20 easy, maybe even $30, but $50 is a bit steep.

The device reviewed here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vidock-expresscard-graphics,1933.html can now be bought from the company for $200, and it includes the GPU. I already have GPU's that will work with it, so I only need the adapter hardware, not the GPU inside. Does anyone know of a way to get that?

Alternatively, if there are any expresscards that are in and of themselves a GPU, regardless of their power, size, and whether it is powered internally or externally, I would be very interested in that as well.

>>Tl;dr: I need an adapter for a laptop PCI expresscard to PCI card to use a desktop GPU with at least 128 mb or RAM in it, OR an expresscard based GPU for a laptop.

(cont)
>>
>>55226718
shorter version: I need to boost the graphics power of my 2004 laptop. No solution is to impractical or difficult. Dream big /g/, if you can cook up an idea, I can get it to work, no matter how ridiculous.

>>inb4 get a new laptop
I already have a really nice laptop that I already play undertale and other games on. It has a gtx 780m in it. I just want to try to use this one for the sake of doing it, not for practical reasons.

Feel free to post other ridiculous ideas, problems, old hardware, etc, etc in this thread.

* (the CPU, while it says it is a 780 running at 2.26 GHz, is actually only running at 1.7 GHz, for reasons I cannot explain. I replaced the motherboard a few years back, and at the time it had a 2GHz CPU and 512 Mb or RAM, and because the old hardware is so cheap I decided to max out the specs. Unfortunatly, the 2.26GHz CPU has never run any faster than 1.7 GHz. I actually bought another one and replaced it, but got the same result. I am thinking it might have something to do with the mobo/bus speed, but isnt the CPU frequency independent of bus speed...?) Any ideas as to the cause or a solution to this would be very much appreciated.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>55227052
>>inb4 newfag
I know you are not actually telling me to install gentoo, thats just a thing you say...

but I already run mint. xp is only running for compatibility issues. If toby fox releases a linux version of undertale, I would use that... Would run it in wine as well, but my package repositories are... gone... I don't know why, but I can't connect to any of them. my system is literally crippled.
>>
gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229102.html

benis
>>
>>55227169
You sir, are a GOD.
>>
>>55227262
the $40 one comes without a power supply though but any 12v charger will do as opposed to the $80 one which comes with the charger

now install gentoo
>>
This is literally completely pointless. If you're using an external GPU, you might as well get a desktop or play on your modern laptop. Also the Pentium M is REALLY weak by modern standards, even web browsing is a pain on them
>>
>>55227422
I know its pointless. I just really like that old laptop. It has a nice small keyboard, which I love. I already have played it on my new laptop. I want to have a completely isolated version of it running as well, although I realize that clearing the .ini file will do the same thing. It is just the feel of it I am going for.
>>
>>55226741
Dude you fucked up. Your chipset probably supports up to 400mhz fsb cpus and you probably had a Pentium M 755 with 400mhz fsb and 20x multiplier. Its probably a gm945 or gm915 or something like that

Pentium Ms use a quad pumped fsb mening the actual cpu is running at 1/4th the chipset's fsb, times the multiplier. So 100mhz times 20 is 2ghz. A Pentium M 780 runs a 533mhz fsb with a 17x multiplier which would usually make it a 2.27ghz cpu.

Then again, if your chipset's fsb cant handle more than 400mhz, it forces the cpu to run an internal clock of 100mhz instead of its original 133mhz, meaning you get 100mhz times 17 = 1.7ghz.

Fron Wikipedia, the fastest 400mhz fsb cpu that's compatible with your chipset is the Pentium M 765 with a whopping 100mhz higher frequency than your original processor.

Tl:dr just stick the old cpu in. Also you're luck it worked at all
>>
>>55226741
http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V3.0.html#Web-Shop

Literally just bought one of these a couple minutes ago. If you don't have autism, you should be able to look at it and tell exactly what it does.
>>
>>55227552
So that makes sense, but the pentium m 780 is listed as being compatible with the insprion 700m mobo. Is it possible that there were different versions of that mobo released, and one has a 533 mhz fsb? or is this just something that would never work, no matter what? I am willing to replace the mobo again... possibly. If I am going to replace the cpu again, I may as well swap the mobo while Im at it, right?

Also, thanks. I have been looking for an answer on this for almost 2 years now, and while I have recently come to the conclusion that it had something to do with the fsb on the mobo, I had no way to confirm that I understood what I was talking about. This really explains it well. Thanks.
>>
>>55227693
I saw that already, I just cant imagine that there can't be an equivalent product for a much more reasonable price...

Also, out of curiosity, what are you using it for?
>>
>>55228748
Believe me.
The cpu power difference from 2.1ghz to 2.27ghz is non-existant. There could be a different motherbiard but they could as well just mean that it fits and the pc turns on, which is not assured if you fuck around with different fsb
>>
DIDNT READ

OP IS A FAG
>>
>>55228839
I guess that is true... Thanks.
>>
>>55226718
>upgraded almost every other component
Can you call it your original laptop then?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.