[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it too late to start learning programming at 21? At what age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: 1446842636225.jpg (65 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1446842636225.jpg
65 KB, 720x540
Is it too late to start learning programming at 21? At what age did you start?
>>
>>55222741
18 at uni
>>
>>55222741
I know people who started computer science at ~35 and are successful programmers.
Don't let your memes be dreams.
>>
never too late. i am 23 and i already know bb code.
[b]meme[/b]
>>
It's not like playing a sport, you can learn something as long as you have the drive and inspiration to do it. Now, go out there, and sit in your underwear for 16 hours learning about functions.
>>
>>55222804
I went to physics college at first but I didn't like it there so I'm considering switching to computer science
>>
File: 2Ia8PGT.jpg (136 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2Ia8PGT.jpg
136 KB, 800x600
>>55222741
> ~15
Never too late if you think you can handle it.
>>
>>55222741
No, Starting at 24 going back to school for my bachelors in Information Systems with DBA concentration. Learning Java and VB right now.
>>
>>55222741
>12 qBasic, 30 now
Never too late, actually when you are in high school it is just a hobby you don't miss too much..
>>
>>55222741
I'm 21. Don't know what I want to do in life, you do and that's great. Now go fucking do it.
protip: Google & Stack overflow
>>
I started at 3 and made a linux distribution by 6.
You may as well not even try op.
>>
I'm interning at a software company currently and like half my coworkers didn't start coding until their late 20s or early 30s. A lot of them switched to programming from a different career entirely. I think you're good senpai
>>
>>55223161
How do these fucks even start their career from somewhere entirely different?
>>
It really shouldn't be. People seem to think that you have to be classically trained from birth to program, but really all you need is a strong foundation in Math and Problem Solving. Actual programming can be learned pretty easily, it's the problems that you can solve with programming which are the hard part to challenge.
>>
>>55222741
>21
>Too late

Retard
>>
>>55222741
Only rocket scientists can program OP.
You have to set the bar way lower.
>>
>>55223271
You won't believe how much retards are in IT.
And even earn 5 figures.
Back in 90s it was like
>Can you push the power button on, on a pc?
>Yes
>You are hired!

In the current year its more either by talking your way in with a little programming skill.
Or be really good by just practicing, and know some more technical stuff.
And show it off like is your portfolio.
>>
yes because if you're asking the question you're probably not smart enough to do it
>>
>>55222833
Finish a physics degree you turd. You can specialize in computers with a masters and then get even better research jobs. A physics background is an excellent way to transfer to over fields because you have such a broad knowledge base from which to draw from.
>>
>>55222741
Do you not think youre going to live 50 more years? You can learn anything any time. Nigger
>>
>>55222741
I started with 14.
>>
>>55222741
Rich Hickey, top10 world programmer, started at around 26
>>
>>55222741
i'm 20.
I was learning C# at uni and i wasn't able to understand a shit of what i'm doing. But right now i'm learning by myself how to code C and learned the basics in two weeks, and then switching on C++. You can do it believe on yourself anon!
>>
>>55222741
18 at college. Also my fist computer one year later.
>>
21, 2nd year of finance and checking job applications. Found out Python is somewhat wanted, so I'm learning it from scratch.
>>
>>55222741
I first tried it out at 16 but I had a hard time finding good material back then.
Began programming Python at 17 after I found some better resources.
>>
Yep, time to pick up your cane gramps, and call it an early night.
>>
>>55222741
No, not at all, especially if you did some math/science related stuff before.
Started at 21, too, after dropping out of physics.
Funnily i am now in the top 5% of the class while only browsing 4chan all day, while other people who came straight out of high school had problems even with piss easy courses.
>>
I was 13. I think it was beneficial to start soaking it up at a young age when my brain was nice and pliable, but honestly I don't think I'd be a worse programmer if I started today (I'm 28).

You just have to apply yourself.
>>
>>55222741
>>
started at 16 learning java, frankly I wish programming and computer literacy was taught at grade school before high school.
>>
>>55225561
It is here in based UK.
>>
Took an associate degree in physics when I was 20.

Took a bachelor (in civil engineering) when I was 23. Basically I learned about programming when I was 24 (last year).
>>
>>55222741
yes, if you didn't start at age ~10 and had several small/large personal projects during your time as a teen, you will never be able to program properly...

This is a fact, the ones who started in school/college/uni and only did their homework and never had any personal interests are absolute and utter garbage, no matter how good the final degree is or will be.
>>
>>55222741
>>
>>55222741
14, but 21 isn't too late. I wasted most of the last 9 years.
>>
File: processofmcda.jpg (64 KB, 800x502) Image search: [Google]
processofmcda.jpg
64 KB, 800x502
Is it possible to move decision making online /his/?
I mean to have a user friendly system that sorts questions and answers and suggestions of thousands and millions of people according to their similarities, much like google does with searches.

If we examine occupy movements and all sorts of recent public riots/gatherings it seems that organizing the people is easy through the internet but directing the outrage and masses towards a solution, towards actual demands and changes seems very problematic.

I mean, societies can in theory already create referendums and nation wide polls about what people want to do without the government being involved at all..
The problem is to then utilize information to push the exact buttons for change to happen and a lot of it seems to do with the fact such actions require precision in decision making and demands which need a system that can sort them hierarchically or in some efficient way.
A system that would sort decisions and suggestions of a society or a large amount of people utilizing and calculating in expert opinions and different modes of identification.

In fact, if such a system can be made there would be no need for any real life gatherings.
It would essentially be a replacement for government. It would calculate and understand what you personally think of different issues, it would sort issues from all sources, categorize them, offer them for debate and voting and would have several levels like neighberhood, city, nation etc...
A user would simply input his opinions and desires and the system will try to translate them to the language of the system, meaning sorting through the different issues raised by other people and their solutions, giving your vote to what fits your desires.

Is it technically possible today?

pic urelated.
>>
>>55227307
I think you're in the wrong place.
>>
I started learning how to optimize apple2 basic at 8? I had some interesting books

nothing ever came from it, and I'm actually glad, it's a boring, unglamorous job that lots of people can do a lot of different ways

it is fun to write your own little apps, for the incredibly rare situations where you actually need it
>>
>>55222741
I started when I was 13. I'm 22 now. It's never too late to learn something new.
>>
File: 1463019188644.jpg (25 KB, 355x369) Image search: [Google]
1463019188644.jpg
25 KB, 355x369
>>55223472
>how much retards are in IT
>>
you have to start early, no later than toddler, to really see the bits.

only then will you be true programmer
>>
>>55222741
I started like at 14, but I don't think there's an age limit as long as you have the proper skills and are constant.
>>
it doesnt matter when u start
only thing that matters is not stopping, because skill loss due to not using skills drops fast
>>
>>55222741
11 or 12

Can't remember exactly.
37 now, still learning every day.
Hope to git gut before I turn 65.
>>
>>55228299
This. My father taught me Complexity theory before I was even able to read. Then as soon I learnt how to read, he taught me x86 assembly, C, and C++.
>>
16 now learned c++, and java with help from you fine artists
>>
>>55223037
Lie
>>
>>55222741
21, i'm completing my first year of uni, go for it, it will change your life in better if you are motivated
>>
21 was when I seriously learned how to program while doing physical/interactive programming.

8 was when I had frontpage and my older sister taught me HTML. Ages 10-16 were me writing AIM scripts to bot users and spam logouts.

My first computer was an AtariST when I was 5. Now I'm 26 and do mainly contracting work in iOS + node.
>>
It's never too late to learn anything anon. Just shove your face with knowledge my dude.
>>
Getting a job in programming is going to be difficult for anyone coming out of college for the next couple of years. Everything is winding down and the bubble starting to pop.

Good luck to anyone going into school rn.
>>
>>55223472
What i'm doing right now.

Reading that cracking the coding book
>>
>>55222833
I did a bs in physics and added a bs in software engineering
Graduation is day after tomorrow
Got an internship, been working there for a month, programming
Im 27 or 28 years old
Not too late for you
>>
>>55222833
kudos, I once sat beneath a physics student at my uni, he showed me some stuff they made and oh boy, that stuff was literally mindbending
>>
started programming around 6-7. Made a website by 10. App by 11. Its too late for anyone over 14 desu
>>
>>55227307
problem is that in democracy voice of a few zealots addicts means more than yours
>>
>3 years after most people start a bachelors
>too late

No, but you might be too stupid
>>
>>55222741
I started when I was 15. Yes, 21 is too late.
>>
No. 11.
>>
>>55222741
20, yes it's too late.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.