[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HTML/CSS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Adobe_Muse_logo.png (57 KB, 950x925) Image search: [Google]
Adobe_Muse_logo.png
57 KB, 950x925
I missed out on most of my school work and I have an exam tomorrow, can anyone help me with these questions/answers? Many thanks

The standards to writing HTML. Where are they maintained and how would you test your page.
How to create a table (know your table tags).
How to create a form containing form elements (know the tags to create common form elements).
The difference between absolute and relative file referencing. Which should you use and why?
Why do you separate HTML and CSS?
The places you can write CSS. What are the advantages / disadvantages of each?
The ways of declaring styles for various page elements (tags, class and id).
How to link a CSS file to a page.
>>
No. You deserve to fail.
>>
File: tumblr_o8fqe9V8Jy1s02vreo1_250.gif (1 MB, 224x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8fqe9V8Jy1s02vreo1_250.gif
1 MB, 224x400
http://www.w3schools.com/

my god! what kind of school is that. you can learn css and html in one afternoon.
>>
File: 1463888629170.gif (1001 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1463888629170.gif
1001 KB, 640x480
Rip
>>
>>55219684
i just lost interest after our teacher left for 'holiday'. been five weeks now
>>
>>55219671
Have you tried Google? Fucking idiot.
>>
File: 5iXoAQJ.jpg (315 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
5iXoAQJ.jpg
315 KB, 1536x2048
>>55219693
cheers, reading up now :)
>>
>>55219723
You will fail because you make excuses and forget why you are in school. You took your eye off the ball and deserve to fail.

t. Someone who was like you
>>
>>55219761
youve inspired me to study now
>>
>>55219798
Good luck and don't give up after you fail. Just do better because you know you are capable enough. Shit gets expensive though.
>>
>>55219671
This is easily doable in an evening if you just put your head down and start googling. But no, you had to be a faggot and ask others to do it for you.
>>
File: 1387063488467.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1387063488467.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>55219744
Do not fucking read anything on w3schools. Not ever. Avoid that site like the plague. Some of their pages haven't been updated in over 20 years I shit you not.
>>
>>55219671
>How to create a table (know your table tags)
Is your "school" a VHS tape of Jonathan Frakes teaching the magic of the Information Superhighway?

If you have a website with a table element on it in current_year expect to never get a single interview ever.
>>
>>55220301
well,all the questions from the test are outdated. Besides, they updated most of it,recently.
>>
>>55220559
Yeah well anyone that would teach you about tables in an HTML class clearly has no interest in being current. The teacher is probably just teaching what he learned when he was in school in the 90s. Some of it will still be useful probably.
>>
>>55219671
Drop out ASAP from that shit school.
You can learn leagues more by fucking around for an afternoon.
>>
>>55220682
I wouldn't suggest dropping out. You can definitely learn way better ways of doing anything they teach you by your self.

I get the impression if you tried to tell your instructor there's a better way to make a navbar than using frames he'd get all ornery and kick you out himself. Best to just learn on your own and pass the class with that knowledge.
>>
>>55219671
>tables
Is this 1990
>>
>>55220318
What if i need to display tabular data?
>>
>>55220799
>>55220668
>>55220318
dafuq is wrong with you? Tables have a legit use: displaying row/column data

Its literally the one thing they are for
>>
>>55220820
>>55220843
Any nested divs will do that just the same. If you set their width to a % of their container it's the same thing.
>>
>>55219671
>The standards to writing HTML. Where are they maintained and how would you test your page.
There is no standard, only implementation. Test your page in latest Firefox, Chrome and Safari on desktop, tablet and phone.
>How to create a table (know your table tags).
Tables are for fags.
>How to create a form containing form elements (know the tags to create common form elements).
Forms are for turbofags, use divs with events attached to onkeypress.
>The difference between absolute and relative file referencing. Which should you use and why?
Absolute referencing is for absolute fags. Relative for lyfe.
>Why do you separate HTML and CSS?
HTML and CSS are both guys. If the balls touch, it's gay.
>The places you can write CSS. What are the advantages / disadvantages of each?
I like writing it on bathroom doors.
>The ways of declaring styles for various page elements (tags, class and id).
Tags - if you want all niggers to be fags, class - if you want all niggers from your school to be fags, id - if you want Tyrone to be a turbo mega fag
>How to link a CSS file to a page.
Fuck, I dunno.
>>
>>55220301
The teacher probably made the test by looking at w3schools
>>
>>55220854
I see you like setting element sizes manually and fucking up your layout with unpredictable whitespacing/linebreaking.

Also building some div structure and fucking with css to make something that emulates a table is retarded when tables exist and theres nothing wrong with them
>>
>The standards to writing HTML. Where are they maintained and how would you test your page.

The standards are made by the WC3 (world wide web consortium) , you test a page by running it in a web browser.

>How to create a table (know your table tags).

Know your <tr> and <td> done

>How to create a form containing form elements (know the tags to create common form elements).

Literally google this like the table, just memorize the tags abd a few common properties

>The difference between absolute and relative file referencing. Which should you use and why?

Absolute is like a fixed address, relative points to your file structure somewhere (eg. ..\pictures\pic5.png) means go back to the parent folder im in, and look for another folder called pics.

>Why do you separate HTML and CSS?

Html is in the html page, css goes into a .css page

>The places you can write CSS. What are the advantages / disadvantages of each?

In the css page (externally) and link it in the header

Write the actual style tages in the head of your html page (internal)

Write the style inline on your html tags (internal)

>The ways of declaring styles for various page elements (tags, class and id).

Google

>How to link a CSS file to a page.

Google
>>
>>55220969
1. Always always always include:
* {
box-sizing: border-box;
}

2. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/83073/why-not-use-tables-for-layout-in-html
>>
>>55220913
>>How to link a CSS file to a page.
>Fuck, I dunno.
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<file location>" />

You should know this.
>>
>>55220985
I read how to seperate css from html instead of why

Html is the actual text, and css is how its all going to look. You want to be able to change your text without messing up the looks and vise versa. Loose coupling.
>>
>>55219671
you all realize that by helping him you're creating another useless codemonkey
>>
>>55220969
>>>55220854
>I see you like setting element sizes manually and fucking up your layout with unpredictable whitespacing/linebreaking.
>Also building some div structure and fucking with css to make something that emulates a table is retarded when tables exist and theres nothing wrong with them
>I have never heard of Flexbox before
>>
>>55221029
Who ever implied using tables for layout anywhere in this thread?
>>
>>55221059
>using layout structures like flexbox to present tabular data when tables exist
How fucking backwards are you? Tabular data goes into tables, period
>>
>>55221059
Flexboxes are cool but really not even necessary if we're talking about a table ass table. Like a literal spreadsheet of a table on a web page.

If people are honestly confused by the whitespace around your elements then they must not know the difference between inline and inline-block or something. Regular divs work fine.

>>55221084
All of those points apply to all tables. Your browser doesn't know what you're using them for. Why would it make a difference?
>>
>>55220985
>>The places you can write CSS. What are the advantages / disadvantages of each?
>In the css page (externally) and link it in the header
>Write the actual style tages in the head of your html page (internal)
>Write the style inline on your html tags (internal)
You missed advantages and disadvantages.

Inline in HTML tags
Advantages
Overrules style defined in the style tags or linked css pages
Set a style for a single element without having to make a class especially for it
Can be placed dynamically
Disadvantages
You don't want to style every individual element on every single page, this is why classes/tags/ids exist

Style tags in header
Advantages
Overrules style defined in linked css pages
Can be placed dynamically
Can define classes/tags/ids to be styled
Disadvantages
Needs to be on every page, if you change it you need to change it on all pages

Linked CSS file
Advantages
Can define classes/tags/ids to be styled
Only need to make changes to the CSS file and all pages that link it will be updated
Can easily switch stylesheets for themes
Disadvantages
Not many if any
>>
>>55221137
The only practical use for any of this information is knowing how they are prioritized. If I remember correctly it goes:

!IMPORTANT > inline > style tag > linked file

and within those it goes:

#id > .class > element

If there's a tie it goes to the one with the most rules like:

.class1 .class2 > .class1

And if there's still a tie because you fucked up then it goes to the rule defined last in the file.

Why am I wiring all of this out?
>>
>>55221235
HTML/CSS seems like a cluster fuck and nobody really knows what's correct to do when building a webpage.
>>
>>55221330
Because browsers do terrible jobs of conforming to the standards.

People mostly do what works in the browser they use or aim at supporting. This is part of the reason why tables were abandoned, because each browser handles them differently.
>>
>>55219671
>tables
>2016
lmao what shit-tier school you go to?
>>
HTML is a markup language. So use tables for tabular data.
>>
>/g/ does some kid's homework for free
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.