[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /g/, What does it mean to be a Hacker? Is it a dying activism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: unrelated.png (554 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
unrelated.png
554 KB, 610x343
Dear /g/,
What does it mean to be a Hacker?
Is it a dying activism?
I'm not talking white/gray/black hat shit.
Some are Sellouts.
Some are Righteous.
Some Greedy.
Some go to jail, commit suicide, or get paid.
In the end we are all the same.
Protecting our internet rights is all good but really we are just informing of loopholes and weaknesses in current cyber infrastructure.
What the fuck is the meaning of that?
Do we want to be remembered only as causing a need for change in a security system?
Individuals in the art may be remembered as having a small influence on an arcane esoteric system with little recourse if remembered at all in the current state.
Our influence must be more than this.
>>
>>55218943
I think you're confused. Hacking isn't activism, its a career or a hobby, some people just hijacked it and attached it to their flavour of the week issue.
>>
It means OP is faggot
>>
>>55218958
Paypal was a hobby?
>>
>>55218992
Yes? No? Maybe? I don't know.
>>
>>55219003
It was activism. I think you are confused and in the wrong thread.
>>
>>55218943
FIG or Finance.
Fuck this shit.
Do something.
>>
most people with real skills use them to make money. very few do it for a cause. if you want to jerk off with eric raymond and pretend you don't root servers then fine, but don't waste anyone else's time.
>>
>>55218958

underrated post
>>
I think this is helpful
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html
>>
There is no such thing as activism within digital space, just slacktivism.
>>
File: 9d994837.jpg (294 KB, 745x1000) Image search: [Google]
9d994837.jpg
294 KB, 745x1000
>>55220824
> Julian Assange is consigned to the Ecuadorean embassy for slacktivism
> Chelsea Manning is in a military prison for slacktivism
> Barrett Brown is in federal prison for slactivism
> Project PM revealing the plot against Glenn Greenwald was slacktivism
> Telecomix providing universal dialup access to countries whose governments turned off the Internet during the Arab Spring is slacktivism
>>
>>55218943
Hacking culture was never activism per se, it was simply online counter culture. If you are curious about online culture I recommend this:

http://project.cyberpunk.ru/lib/cyberia/cyberia.pdf

>>55220882
>using Brown in your examples
Barret Brown was always an idiot, he has done nothing beyond being an idiot.
>>
>>55218958
Basically this.

Ever since Anonymous and the whole petite-bourgeois revolt of OWS the term hacker has been associated with idealists out fighting a digital war against perceived social injustices.
>>
>>55221406
>>55221406
>>55221406
>>55221406
this

the pinko "hactivist" culture, funded by shady psuedo-government organizations has adopted the "hacker" name. there are some legit hackers that are also commie/anarchist activists but that does not make all hackers part of a left wing cult. being a hacker is separate from politics.

a hacker is someone with exceptional computer skill who uses it creatively.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.