[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /g/ method of learning a programming language to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: programming-java.jpg (111 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
programming-java.jpg
111 KB, 800x528
What are /g/ method of learning a programming language to the point of being a expert?
>>
Writing programs in it.
>>
>>55218736
this, along with hanging out on the language's IRC/ML/SO threads and reading the discussions there
>>
>>55218724
>this thread, as of every day
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>55218724
Using it.
>>
My method is to write a platform game editor (little physics engine, display, GUI, level saves, ...). By the time you finish it, you will have new ideas on how to do it better using more advanced techniques of the language.

And so you reiterate. You do it 7 times, each time the code will be more compact, easier to code and understand, and closer to the philosophy of the language.

I've done this only once, in Java. I learned software engineering without any courses, meaning, how to build your program well so that it's still easy to add features in it without having to deal with a mess of a code.
>>
>>55220108
>using more advanced techniques
>Java

Reflection is about as advanced/low-level as Java goes, and it's still piss-easy
>>
>>55218724
If you can make your own compiler for your own programming language.
This will show atleast that you understand programming languages and that you can do some programming.
>>
I've been working through

> cryptopals.com

If you can complete that shit, you're a fucking wizard.
>>
>>55218724
kill yourself, seriously, god damn retarded threads every fucking day
>>
>>55220509
>If you can make your own compiler for your own programming language.
this is worthless in the industry
>>
>>55218724
>o the point of being a expert
>expert
>Asking /g

Also:
>>55220108
>You do it 7 times (...)
>I've done this only once(...)
As I said.
>>
be white
>>
>>55218724
>https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition
Reading github repositories
>>
Practice, probably around 5 years of practice before you can start calling yourself an expert.
>>
Its impossible, just use google
>>
>>55222778
OP didn't mention anything about industry. I was just coming with a proposal for getting better at programming.
>>
>>55218724
Post starter questions on every forum you can find and hope for experienced people to make overly complicated explanations. Then search the things you find interesting in their posts.
>>
>>55218724
>>55224804
Believe it or not, being in the industry is the best way to get better

Look at code written by architects with 20+ years of experience writing all kinds of enterprise infrastructures, servers, management systems, development platforms and frameworks. Analyze that code, go through it step by step and pay attention to every detail, to the coding style, to their choices in design and architecture. Now imitate it to the best of your abilities, put yourself fully in their shoes, no matter if you're an intern or junior dev.

Having a bunch of incredibly complex, advanced, professionally written code at your disposal is a godsend. Being able to talk to said architect/deveoper and ask them questions/have them tutor you is even better.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.