[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 332x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 332x480
I don't know how it happened
>>
>>55214345
>look guys, I put isopropyl alcohol on a CPU and lit it on fire!
>>
>>55214345
This is what happens when you shitpost too hard!
>>
File: cpu.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cpu.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>55214345
Step up your game.
>>
>>55214477
mmmm cancer flavor
>>
>>55214602
I had a gas mask
>>
>>55214345
Why don't you guys recycle these components instead of turning them into hazardous waste? Hell, just donate them to your nearest government/volunteer organization/school/poorfriend, etc. Someone could have used that component to make your life easier. We don't live in a vacuum. Try to have some vision next time.
>>
>>55214685
I'll do whatever the fuck I want with my shit
>>
>>55214685
Everyone else just want an iPhone or an iPad, even Mr. poorfriend.
>>
>>55214700
That's the same attitude that caused your generation to get shat on by the previous generation. You'll complain about the last generation messing everything up and leaving yours to clean up the mess and then bitch about it, and then you shit on the next generation and get surprised when they start complaining about cleaning up your mess. At some point it would be nice if people took the time to think before they acted.

What a frivolous waste of resources.
>>
>>55214758
Anon, it was a fucking Pentium 4. Not much else you can do with ot other than burn it or trash it.
>>
>>55214685
>Someone could have used that component to make your life easier.
How?
>>
>>55214685
THINK OF DA POOR AFRICANS WHO COULD HAVE ATE THAT!!!!
>>
>>55214774
NASA could have used that Pentium 4. Hell they're using Playstation 1 processors in their rockets, they could have found a use for that. Or if you aren't American, I'm sure the closest University could have put that processor to use with their research. Any government-funded organization could have used a spare part or two. Even a library, anything.
>>
>>55214477
John or Sarah?
>>
>>55214820
Or I could burn it, which is the route I chose.
>>
>>55214685
It was dead already
>>
>>55214820
Stop having delusions of grandeur about your used shit. They don't want your fucking junk.
>>
>>55214820
>nasa wants my pentium 4

with a budget in the billions, while still not enough, they can afford better components than pentium 4's

no government organization on earth is going to assemble their own computers, libraries buy prebuilts

and what kind of research is a university doing that requires pentium 4's they couldnt buy in bulk for 2$ a piece of ebay?

out of spite im going to take my pentium 4 and use butter as thermal paste just to see what happens while i put it through a few furmark tests
>>
>>55214786
Your nearest library, your nearest DMV, your water-biller, that part could have been added to another computer and used as a workstation to make the line shorter so you wouldn't have had to wait as long to go pay your water bill.

Scientists and medical researchers will take old computers and parts. There's plenty of people who could take that component and in some way it would have helped you in your life, no matter how subtle. We don't live in a vacuum. Everything you do affects something else, might as well do something that only comes back to improve your quality of life, right? The energy it took to build that processor is now wasted. It needs more energy to be repaired or smelted for usable parts now. That energy could have been used for something else instead. that's time, money, safety, environmental destruction (Which directly affects your health in the long-term, I'm not even being a treehugger, not filling your lungs with toxins doesn't make you a hippie), and resources down the drain just for a few seconds of amusement.
>>
>>55214861
>out of spite im going to take my pentium 4 and use butter as thermal paste just to see what happens while i put it through a few furmark tests
No, don't do that. I'd rather you put that butter on some bread and enjoy some toast. Don't waste food please.
>>
>>55214900
>not even a treehugger
You're definitely a treehugger or a troll.
>>
>>55214900
if the DMV had pentium 4's the line would not only be slower, it would be on fire

honestly, shut the fuck up
theres a point where things are so insanely outdated that using them today is not beneficial over something that costs 5$ more

the last time pentium 4's shipped with computers, was when XP SP3 came out
>>
>>55214900
How many scientists and medical researchers do you know personally that spend their time salvaging old computer parts instead of doing research?
>>
>>55214929
mayo thermal paste here I come
>>
>>55214929
im gonna put butter on my dick and fuck you in the ass in a moment
ill cum on the pentium 4 and make you lick it clean while its running
>>
>>55214930
No, my PC is getting a bit old and I was just curious what I should do with it if it stopped working. Turns out, there's still a lot of uses for old parts that you otherwise could have thrown away.

If you just want to get rid of components, there's a bunch of places that will take them:
http://lifehacker.com/5731190/five-easy-places-to-recycle-your-old-gadgets-and-computers
>>
>>55214602
Cancer how?
>>
>>55214970
And as I said earlier, I'll do whatever the fuck I want with my shit.

Besides, it's not like there's a shortage of Pentium 4s. You can find machines with better CPUs on the side of the road for fuck's sake.
>>
>>55214955
No, you should donate that specimen to a hospital or to a female that could convert that to a new life form. Don't waste it. It takes energy to release, and you'd just be wasting it for no reason.

>>55214949
Ok I'll make an exception for that. Mayo is terrible.

>>55214934
Computer scientists and researches who can always use another machine to crunch numbers for them.
http://www.techsoup.org/support/articles-and-how-tos/ten-tips-for-donating-a-computer

>>55214933
At the very least, don't turn it into a small chemical hazard. A honey bee passing by could have been killed by the toxins, and there goes a few pounds of fresh fruit that could have been harvested that year. Which in turn increases the prices due to the slight decrease in the overall supply. And then if a bunch of you follow in this anon's footsteps, that would result in even more dead bees internationally. What goes around comes around.
>>
>>55214477
Ah yes, that old trick to convert it to an Nvidia gpu
>>
>>55214993
Not him, but inhaling that smoke or just having it come into contact with your skin can cause cells to malfunction/die. The more abnormalities in your cell, the higher chance of it not being able to follow the instructions it was made to follow. And then you get a tumour from that because of all the cells multiplying out of control and creating a growth that doesn't control itself. Then boom, cancer.
>>
>>55215068
>Computer scientists and researches who can always use another machine to crunch numbers for them
Pentium 4's are so old and energy inefficient, they are better off buying something new that doesn't waste as much electricity
>>
>>55215161
The heat generated from that electricity can still be useful if it was applied to some kind of work. Like heating up a cold room or acting as a switch or something.

Even if you don't use it, there are still metals and other materials that could be extracted from it which can be put to use in new products/devices.
>>
File: 1451000741719.jpg (25 KB, 300x245) Image search: [Google]
1451000741719.jpg
25 KB, 300x245
>>55215099
>>
>>55214820
> "Hello yes NASA, I have a Pentium 4 CPU here. What? No, no it doesn't work, but I was wondering if you wanted it. What's wrong with it? I don't know, but an online Mongolian rug-cleaning bazaar said that YOU guys would want it."
Get real
>>
>>55215303
I bet you they'd point you to another organization who would take that component at the very least. Maybe even if no one wanted to use it in their build, there are still precious metals/raw materials that could be extracted from that CPU. Maybe they wouldn't extract it right away, but if they had a large enough supply, then they could start the smelting process and save money/resources/energy by extracting in bulk.

No one is going to play the newest Doom on it, but there is still value in that component.
>>
>>55214820
>MIPS = playstation CPU
kek
>>
>>55215363

>no one is going to play the newest doom on it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Daffeyn3c
>>
>>55215363
You would waste more resources shipping the dead part to whoever wants it than would be gained by its eventual recycling. Keeping in mind that the recycling ALSO takes resources, time and effort.

Some things just aren't economical to recycle, dude. It's that simple.
>>
>>55215473
is this real?
holy fuck
>>
>>55214820

Come on anon, while I appreciate the overall message of not wasting shit, you can find computers at dumps with more processing power. Nobody is going to want that shit.
>>
>>55215068
kys
>>
>>55215992
>kys
You should all kill yourselves.
>>
>>55214345
is wants to be like amd
>>
>>55215473
I refuse to believe this bullshit, in Ultra no less, just fuck off.
>>
>>55214477

I'm sure this is what normal people think of anytime someone tries to explain what overclocking is.
>>
>>55214477
Remember, thermal cycling helps break in your thermal compound and can help improve longevity of the CPU's life
>>
>>55214820
>Eat your greens
>There's starving kids in Africa

That's you
>>
>>55214820
>nasa has a $20 million rocket just need some dumb cunts pentium 4 chip and t minus 10
>>
>>55214900
We might not live in a vacuum but you live in a dream. There is such a thing called opportunity costs that ensures nothing is ever free. The time, effort, and cost associated with putting a newly acquired computer components to efficient use is not 0, and could potentially be better used elsewhere on a project that would provide a larger bet benefit to society.

And sure, OP could be off spending his time finding a cure for cancer instead, but people need entertainment for maximize efficiency. People aren't just robots who run entirely on logic. For all you know, burning a shitty processor and sharing his picture with the internet could have improved OP's quality of live more than giving it away to some poor soul who is tasked with trying to find a use for it.

Save the philosophical ethics arguments for the lecture hall where they belong, unless you really think wasting electricity arguing with anonymous people about how they should live their lives is the most effective use of your time right now.
>>
>>55216723

Nigga we're biilions of people on this earth. There's enough smart motherfucker around to be able to cure cancer. Apparently they're not as smart as they think they are.
>>
File: Photo1[1].jpg (77 KB, 444x460) Image search: [Google]
Photo1[1].jpg
77 KB, 444x460
>>55214345
Ain't nothing I can do for ya, son.
>>
>>55214477

>breathing in all that shit
>>
>>55214345
try cooking spam on it
>>
>>55217772
See >>55214630
>>
>>55214820
>what are space hardened components
>>
>>55217014
dont shot gote
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.