[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SMeaGoL Not Dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: SMGL_not_dead.png (777 KB, 994x800) Image search: [Google]
SMGL_not_dead.png
777 KB, 994x800
Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux, remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution that can heal broken installs. And (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:

Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, and uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
Even the documentation is licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage? Do you like BSD ports? You haven't seen anything like SMGL's "sorcery". Making new "spells" to install source code not found in the "grimoire" (repository) is as easy as editing files http://sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Come and join
http://sourcemage.org/
>>
>>55214261
>A month later, as Sorcerer was starting to regain lost ground, Kyle relaunched his version of Sorcerer under a non-forking (thus non-free) license he calls the SPL and dropped the term "GNU/Linux". We renamed our distro to "Source Mage" after a vote, out of respect for Kyle's wishes.
Looks like I'm going with Sorcerer. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>55215132
>going with Sorcerer
You meant to say Source Mage or is this a joke?
>>
>>55215182
No joke. "Gnu/Linux" grinds my gears. Stallman is a troublemaker,imho.
>>
>>55215220
Are you one of those anti-gnu trolls?
>>
>>55214261
>Fully committed to GPL
Like I give a fuck.
>>
Please don't troll in this thread.
>>
>>55215240
No, I legitimately dislike Stallman and his "look at me" attention-whoring. It's embarassing to many of us in the Linux community.
>>
They have nonfree packages in their repos. No thanks.
>>
>>55215295
Its separate from the main repository. The non-free is in the z-rejected repository if someone needs java or something.
>>
>>55215240
not him, but i feel the same way. at best he's been divisive, and at worst he's clearly been a negative influence. free software shouldn't be hard to sell people on; morally and philosophically every aspect of it makes sense. but him being the poster child of the movement means that we have to walk back every crazy thing he says and deal with all the weird awkward shit that alienates everyone else.

i know everyone's free to do whatever they want, but the FSF should invest some of their money in compensating an advocate who doesn't creep out outsiders. the staunch advocates of free software - who often love RMS already - won't disappear just because you pay a guy whose BMI is under 40, combs his hair, and doesn't eat toenail skin.
>>
>>55215283
I'm not trolling. Just as there are many distros in the Linux world, there are many opinions in the Linux world. I do not care to insult your ideas, please respect me in the same way.
>>
Please don't derail the thread, you are still trolling.
>>
>>55215389
Why do you keep saying this? There are some valid points be raised by these people. You can't just cry troll in an attempt to invalidate differing opinions.
>>
Please don't derail this thread into a flamewar.

You have an opinion, we all get it, ok?
>>
Surprised at the lack of Mega mentions
>>
just get a VPS, i used mine just fine last time i visited china
>>
I guess hamless trolling is better than a flamewar?
>>
>>55215332
>>55215293
why does the very creators of their own movements (even scientists, to some extent) either grows disappointed or turns into huge fuck ups?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.