[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is chromebook still just a meme? Are there any good ARM based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
Is chromebook still just a meme? Are there any good ARM based laptops these days?
>>
>>55210395
Absolutely not.
>>
>>55210395
there are intel based chromebooks that are pretty good. most even have an m.2 slot to put a big ssd in.
dont ever go for the arm ones.
>>
>laptop
>arm based
they should be lap based.
>>
>buying an ARM Chromebook

Get one with a celery n2840 and be amazed at what 150$ can do.
>>
Get the cheapest cloudbook you can find like >>55210457 said.

They're all shit in the end, so it really doesn't matter.
>>
I was surprised the other day when my brother said he wanted to get a Chromebook for my sister in law who is a teacher. "Most of their computers are Chromebooks at that school" he said. Apparently people use and like them because they are cheap.
>>
you can get a x220 for the same price of a celeron chromebook.
The x220 will outperform the chromebook and comes with more storage (most refurbs uses ssd if they charge as much as a chromebook)
The question is if you want 6 or 8 hours of battery life and if you want a shitty keyboard or not.
>>
>>55210642
Fuck off with your nigger resolution
He should get an equivalent HP or x200
>>
>>55210833
It is fine for the screen size, and you will always connect an external screen if you want something better.
>>
An Intel based chromium is fine. But I wouldn't trust the ARM ones unless you read good reviews.

If you end up following the thinkpad meme, you can always install Chromium OS and 'upgrade' it to Chrome OS
>>
>>55210395
>using ARM
>not waiting for based power8 to take over
>>
>>55213653
Is POWER actually laptop capable? I just want a modern MIPS or POWER laptop.
>tfw didn't find out about the Lemote Yeeloong till they were impossible to find
>>
Chromebooks are okay if you need an internet access machine.

They are cheap, functional, but rather limited in what you can do with them.
>>
>>55213761
Depends on the model. Mine's got SeaBIOS and I can install and do anything I can do with my regular laptop.
>>
C201

The absolute cheapest garbage chromebook you can get.

But it can be librebooted, which is absolutely mint.
You get free as in freedom machine free of the NSA microcode shitware included in all x86 processors
>>
>>55213744
desu ive never seen anyone have one in person, just other peoples picks. as far as i know there isnt any higher end stuff available, for now, i hope with things like that the raptor engineering talos project do well so others can follow suit
>>tfw didn't find out about the Lemote Yeeloong till they were impossible to find
the pain is real
>>
File: 187638474304.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
187638474304.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1707
>>55213803
>c201
I'm shitposting this reply on my librebooted c201 with debian 8 and XFCE. It is literally the best machine I have ever owned. Having all the firmware blobs BTFO is so comfy and refreshing. It is either this or climb into a fucking time machine back to 2006 or earlier when the natzsec assholes didn't have such a grip on general purpose computing.
>>
>>55215225
I've been looking for something light to carry around with me instead of my other laptop... does the resolution bother you at all? What about the keyboard? It's about $180 here in Canada, worth it?
>>
>>55215339
Res is fine. Keyboard is fine. Though it only has F1 thru F10. And you have to map out the power button (top right) so it is ignored on press otherwise you'll be upset.

Librebooted makes it worth 2X or 3X more. If they free up additional models, then great. Battery is awesome - 8 to 10 hours. Even longer when screen is off or console use.

I can pull it off charge and get a nice long shitpost session in on the couch all day. It is very light and the screen has nice angle variability.
>>
>>55210438
medium kek
>>
>>55215465
Sounds good! Maybe I'll pick one up if I see one.
>>
>>55215465
What's package availability for ARM? Does your limited internal storage fuck things up? Could it be used with libre office or semi intense Linux software?
>>
>>55215695
Don't get ARM if you're planning to use it for Linux. No OpenGL hardware acceleration.
>>
>>55215225
>>55215339
>>55215465
>librebooting your C201 at all
reminder that 2D/3D is nonfree on this thing and you need to run the display in software mode.

we could have had it ready but some monkey who is writing a driver is having a long-standing emotional breakdown about "cleaning up code"
>>
Do offline docs work in chromeos? is there an equivalent to the desktop application version of drive in windows that syncs files on your hard drive?
>>
>>55215910
o i c

>>55217038
It's not offline by default, I think you have to enable it in the settings, but it's there somewhere
>>
>>55217189
Gotcha. I found some guides on it. But the comments indicated that the instructions had changed and I didn't see a clear yes/no answer on offline docs working.
>>
File: SymphogearGX_07_17.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SymphogearGX_07_17.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>>55210395
>Cortex A15
>160-pin QFP
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.