[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much has codding to do with math and why? Aside from problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: _mh0ycvM9UY1r539hzo1_500.jpg (30 KB, 500x295) Image search: [Google]
_mh0ycvM9UY1r539hzo1_500.jpg
30 KB, 500x295
How much has codding to do with math and why?

Aside from problem solving thinking.

Not talking about basic math like 1+1 1*1 etc.
>>
Depends on what you're doing with it

If you're doing JS stuff, very little math

Most other programming does involve math. Not only in terms of computation and algebraic manipulation, but more theoretical concepts that are "math" but not what you learn in the first year of undergrad. (e.g., git uses graph algorithms)
>>
>>55201568
The difference between the code monkey and the software engineer is the fact that the second is good at math
>>
>>55201568
For business programs, add, subtract, and percentages tax/interest. That's it.

For science, some depending on field.

For games, lots. :^)
>>
>>55201629
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
Prove that 2^n can begin with any sequence of digits.
>>
>>55201629
>what are optimization problems
>what is load balancing
>>
>>55201568
when you want to rig a gambling/luck game.
It gets very lengthy.
>>
File: 1451140663319.png (74 KB, 286x312) Image search: [Google]
1451140663319.png
74 KB, 286x312
>>55201684
>he can't code the program and run it in his head

What a loser.
>>
>>55201626
This.

You can do programming without math. But don't expect it to be glamorous work, and don't expect to be paid as much for it as someone who can do math.

Anything dealing with encryption, signals, statistical analysis, machine learning, compression... those things require you to think a little bit.
>>
>>55201568
boss asks you to write an algorithm to calculate how to use the wearhouse storage to maximize the value of the goods in it.
you start coding
once you are done you start your progam. it takes abour 35 years for find a solution
>>
>>55201764
That still doesn't require any advanced math.
>>
>>55201803
ok, how do you define advanced math ?
>>
>>55201803
>Optimization doesn't require math
I bet you can't prove why the needed moves for solving the hanoi towers is (2^n)-1 where n is the number of disks
>>
>>55201803
>np-hard optimization algorithm doesn't require any advanced math
>>
>>55201678
Yeah, what are those. No really, what are those?
t. business app devs everywhere
>>
File: plz_send_me_back_to_mexico.jpg (337 KB, 1100x1650) Image search: [Google]
plz_send_me_back_to_mexico.jpg
337 KB, 1100x1650
All in all it seems you need to know somehow what highschool level of math?

Normal/binominal distribution, y=a*b^t kind of stuff?
>>
I'm currently TA'ing a CS course. One of the students is complaining about the math being too hard. I really want to ask them, "Why the fuck do you think these classes have math prerequisites?" Like, do people think we do this for shits and giggles?
>>
>>55201984
see >>55201764
>>
>>55201568
>how much has to do with
go away pajeet
>>
>>55201568
All coding is math.
>>
>>55201568

>How much has codding to do with math and why?

Depens on the field.

For most "coding" you need almost no math.
You can be the best Java Senior Develloper in the world without ever using higher math.

For some stuff, you need some mathematical concepts. For exmaple:
0.1 + 0.2 = 0.30000000000000004 in most langauges.

This is because floating point arithmetics. Basically every decimal digit is stored as fomular. It's not that complicated, but you should have a basic understanding of exponential calculation.

For networking you need some math to calculate stuff like throughtput. It's not a big deal though.

Yes, you should know about stuff like number systems (gray code, binary, hexadecimal and so on) complexity classes (N, NP, NPC), Big O notation, turing completeness, Finite State Machines and so on. But while this is rather theoretical and requires a "mathematical way of thinking", you don't do real big math actually.

The ony fields that come to my mind where you need real advanced math are Computer Graphics (doing funky stuff with matrices), everything realted to Sound (you should know your FFT inside out) and of course Cryptography, where you are better off with studing math and CS at the same time.
>>
>>55203085

Oh yes, I forgot stuff like combinatorial optimization, AI, graphs, constraint programming, backtracking, markov chains, simulated annealing, scheduling and so on..

(These fields are closely related.)

While these areas are rather theoretical aspects, they can be usefull if you are solving really tricky problems.

But again, this is more about know differnt algorithms and theoretical conepts than real "higher math".
>>
>Le travelling salesman meme xD
>>
>>55203187

It's all applied math once you get past the freshman year. It's usually not math proofs, but sometimes it is.
>>
File: 1388186049571.gif (1 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1388186049571.gif
1 MB, 350x300
>>55201568
Math can be applied to programming, but not all programming tasks require math. Programming in general is more about defining a sequence of actions the computer should perform.
Also please refrain from calling it "coding", which is an abstract term that can mean many things depending on the context.
>>
>>55201660
>coding
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.