[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eReader thread! There was one yesterday, and I said I was going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: ereader guide.png (1 MB, 2000x3002) Image search: [Google]
ereader guide.png
1 MB, 2000x3002
eReader thread!
There was one yesterday, and I said I was going to make a guide. Some people were asking for advice, too, so maybe they'll see this.
>>
>>55201492
Just got a kindle fire HD because I wanted something with color, anyone have any problems with them?
>>
>>55201605
They're basically tablets, but they're decent tablets, at that.
>>
>willingly buying a 1984 simulator aka reading surveillance and virtual book burning device
>>
>>55201625
>connecting to the internet on a book reading device
>>
Just buy an old kindle 5 nigga it works fine
>>
Why are there no ereaders designed to run a FOSS firmware/OS? Seems like the sort of thing that'd get funded on kickstarter overnight if marketed right
>>
>>55201679
You can technically flash a FOSS OS on just about any moderately popular eReader.
>>
>>55201605
It's not an eReader.
>>
>>55201690
yeah, but the OS and hardware aren't designed for each other so some level of compromise is unavoidable. that sucks.

there should be an open standard for tablets, ereaders, etc similar to the desktop PC standard
>>
>>55201706
I use KOReader on my Kindle, haven't had any actual issues.
>>
>Sony DPT-S1
When will it drop to a reasonable price?
>>
>>55201492
>you need to convert books to the only supported format by the ereader

How is this still a thing? They're computers. It's text. Computers do text.
>>
>>55201742
Sony is a piece of shit. They could release this today and make a shitload of money, because the world is craving for paperless note taking. But they prefer to rip off the few suckers that want to buy in. 80% of that price is for R&D costs. I think they will continue to do that, patent troll and finally sell it to someone. They don't have the vision or the capability to release this. Sony is not what it used to be.
>>
>>55201492
Just get an iPad.
>>
get a nook simple touch.

shit is like 30$ or less and it gets the job done.
>>
>>55201492
eReaders are a dead meme.

They started off as cool tech with the whole eInk fad, but as ULV CPUs were introduced along with bigger batteries, there is close to zero reason to own one because they cost as much as a real tablet. There's no sense in buying any of them anymore.
>>
What's a good ereader with a <6" screen ?
Do they even exist ?
>>
>>55201605
The whole point is the eink screen. Might as well get a better tablet if you want color lad
>>
>>55202297
There's more than just text in those files. Similarly a .doc isn't just what you see on the screen when you fire up Word or it could be read by any program
>>
>>55202818
Yotaphone 2. That's not a joke. It's the only sub 6 you'll be likely to find.
>>
>>55203364
Fuck.
>>
If I buy a Kobo, can I move my Kindle store purchases to it easily?
>>
Are e readers with colors a thing now?
>>
There is nothing wrong with a Kindle. I have a jailbroken Paperwhite 3, and it does everything a Kobo can do, with much better hardware whule being cheaper.
>>
>>55203875
>Glo HD and Paperwhite have the same hardware, for the same price
hwat
>>
File: tumblr_mldv7xTd9J1qalefio1_1280.jpg (378 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mldv7xTd9J1qalefio1_1280.jpg
378 KB, 1200x675
>>55202818
Kobo Mini.

Bought it during clearance. Still loving it.
>>
>>55203545
Yes but you need Calibre + deDRM plugin and the Kindle reader software on PC.
>>
>>55202346
>TransNote was released in 2001, 15 years ago
>still no better option for paperless writing/note taking
What the fuck.
>>
>>55202346
Sony has always been like this
>excellent design
>super high price
>shit marketing
>doesn't try to get business bulk sales (literally all it needs to make up R&D costs)
>doesn't sell at all
>lay off the division
>>
>>55203932
A Paperwhite 3 is like $60 on AWD.
>>
>>55204046
>using used prices
>>
>>55201492
Is there a decent PDF to Mobi converter yet?
>>
Is there an e-reader that respects my freedumbs?
>>
My old Kindle DX broke. what's a good large (10-13inch diagonal) ereader these days?
>>
Whoever the fuck made this guide is buttfuck retarded. It doesn't scale very well, it's too goddamn large, and there's no organization of the info at all. What the fuck right now?
>>
>>55201492
>paperwhite
>great built quality

It is creaky plastic shit. That scratches if you look at it too hard.

With the worse touchscreen I have ever used besides the shitty sign screens on card readers at wal-mart.
>>
>>55203941
>that gianthuge font size
You can make it smaller, right ?
Does it look bad if you do ?
>>
>Kobo Aura H2O
>Waterproof "meme"

It's not a meme. It's fucking awesome washing away all the dust and fingerprints.
>>
>>55201625
You fucking what mate?
>>
>>55201492
I was looking for a ebook a year ago. but there were problems with the format, with the functions... any good ebook costs as much as a little tablet. so I bought a little tablet and forgot about the problems. no regrets in my case.
>>
>>55202351
This. I have one rooted and it's great.
>>
>>55202710
Greatly reduced eye stain you fucktard

And tablets still can't last a month on a charge
>>
New Kindle is out, lighter and thinner!
>>
>>55206745
Do you live in the fucking woods?

No? Then 12 hours is plenty time.

Reduced eye strain is a meme. Turn down your brightness and the difference is less than negligible.
>>
>>55207836
>reduced eyestrain is a meme
>>
>>55207885
[citation needed]
>>
>>55207899
>he doesn't understand refresh rates and back lighting vs front lighting
>>
>>55207923
you mean lack of refresh rates? Enjoy your 0.1Hz screen.
>>
Have owned a couple Kobos. Currently a Glo HD. I recommend.

The hardware between Kobo and Amazon is really a toss up. If you intend to pirate books, then the tradeoff is that Amazon's firmware is more stable, but it's also a lot less customizable and featureful than Kobos.
>>
>>55201492
+1 for kindle glowlight (not plus)
easy to find cheap, takes any format, shocking battery life
>>
Is there a better (e.g. Oxford) dictionary for the Kobos I can download? The stock dictionary really does suck.
>>
>>55207996
forgot image.

had to compress because it's 2002 the year of our lord and we raid floppies for storage
>>
Are any of the ereaders good for reading scientific literature? Mendeley support or anything?
>>
>>55208072
>>>/sci/
>>
Can the Aura H2O run Android? I need something to keep my topographic maps on.
>>
>>55208072
I suggest you a little tablet. this was one of my problems. You'll have a bad time with pdfs on ebooks, and if you try to convert them they'll get totally messed (citations, graphics and so)
>>
>>55208137
Alright.
>>
>>55208072
Don't know bout Mendeley but I know a lot of scientific literature have epub export.
>>
>>55201625
Some of us like to read instead of watching their mom bath. And who the fuck tells you to keep 'em connected to the wifi all the time? Download books, read and be done with it.
>>
>>55202346
Over-priced yet well-engineered hardware with outdated specs has been Sony's MO since forever.
>>
>>55206850
I wish Kindles had .epub support. All of my pirated books are in that format (and I'm sure that that's why they don't support it).
>>
>>55209033
Doesn't make sense. A lot of pirated books are in mobi or come in both formats. Plus conversion from epub to mobi is easy as fuck and can be done on websites or software like Calibre.
>>
>>55209033
Amazon doesn't support epub because epub doesn't support DRM. One of the azw versions is literally just a wrapper around epub to add DRM support
>>
>>55201492
Just FYI, Calibre does some great conversions (need plugins) for both Amazon and Kobo ereaders.

For Kindle:
Convert all EPUBs to AZW3 and MOBI to AZW2. Those are the native containers for those formats and should enable most features that are otherwise missing from unconverted side-loaded books.

For Kobo:
Convert EPUBs to KePub. You can leave MOBIs as is or convert them to KePub if you want the KePub features (reading time estimates, among other things)

Finally, you can strip DRM from Amazon ebooks by installing the Amazon Kindle desktop app (not the Windows Store Kindle app) and then using the DeDRM plugin for Calibre (just drag and drop the books that the Kindle app downloads into Calibre).
!!!!You can strip DRM from rented and trial Amazon books too, but it's disabled in the code... it's written in Python, so it's super easy to fix (try to convert a book, search for the error string it gives you in the plugin's ZIP, comment out that one line, rezip and reinstall the plugin)
>>
Any ebook readers with native CBR/CBZ support?
>>
>>55209194
>>Convert EPUBs to KePub

You can literally just rename the file from .epub to .kepub
>>
>>55209224
Does that enable the KePub features? I've never tried doing that. My Kobo can read plain Epubs fine but some of the features are disabled when doing so.
>>
>>55209219
.CBR and .CBZ are just different names for .RAR and .ZIP respectively. Every E-Reader supports them, except Kindle I'm sure.

>>55209244
Works for me.
>>
>>55209219
Kobos. I've read through Elfen Lied (CBZ format) on my Kobo Aura.
>>
>>55209244
Have owned 3 Kobos. Never looked into Kepub. What am I missing out on?
>>
>>55209388
...although I've purchased some books from them which I suppose would make them Kepub, and don't remember any differences.
>>
>>55209260
Well yeah, I'm just wondering which of them can display pictures and which are intelligent enough to know how to unrar/unzip.

>>55209269
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>55209416
>I'm just wondering which of them can display pictures
Every E-Reader that supports CBR and CBZ can display pictures.

>which are intelligent enough to know how to unrar/unzip
What? There's no unpacking. The E-Reader simply looks inside the folder and displays the pictures in order.
>>
File: amazon-kindle-3-2[1].jpg (197 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
amazon-kindle-3-2[1].jpg
197 KB, 1000x1000
Still have a kindle 3 and love it.
>>
>>55209447
>There's no unpacking. The E-Reader simply looks inside the folder and displays the pictures in order.
Huh, I didn't know that. Then how come my Gahnoo plus Linux tells me that Application-X/RAR is not supported whenever I try to open a CBR without having unrar installed?
>>
>>55209486
Because you're using a program on Linux and not an E-Reader, I'm sure. Things work differently depending on your platform and which programs you've chosen.
>>
>>55207937
Because the one thing people want to do on their ereaders is watch YouTube videos

Tell me, how does it feel to be 14?
>>
>>55209486
Because unrar is used to extract the files so they can be read by your external program. People aren't going to write their own RAR or ZIP readers, it's easier to use someone else's as a dependency.

It won't store the extracted files to the disk (or if it does, it just caches them). Ereaders do essentially the same thing, and Kobos probably even use unrar to load the images (if I have a terminal emulator running on mine I'd check).
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.