[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Networking - Possible to Connect Wireless Router to External
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: Linksys_WRT54G.jpg (442 KB, 2768x1560) Image search: [Google]
Linksys_WRT54G.jpg
442 KB, 2768x1560
I have two Linksys WRT54GS routers running DD-WRT (full) and Tomato. I'm like to connect one of these to an open wifi network (truly open - no authorization/ToS acceptance required) that my campus broadcasts so that I can connect multiple wired clients to the open wifi network from the router's MAC address.

I swear to god, I remember this being a thing that was an option in either DD-WRT or Tomato. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't even recall what the method/protocol is called, despite my googling.
>>
>>55196588
WRT54GS is deprecated.

Buy any worthwhile buffalo or asus router and use tomato; you only need one 2x3 or 3x3 router instead of two pieces of crap.
>>
>>55196627
This is completely irrelevant. I, and I'm sure all other WRT54G-series owners, are fully aware that our decade-old routers lack a number of modern features.
>>
Under basic->network I'm pretty sure you can set wan connection to connect to a wlan in tomato. I did it many years ago
>>
I think it's wireless bridge mode in dd-wrt
>>
>>55196699
>transfer speeds greater than 10MB/s
>Range greater than a single room

Spend a hundred bucks on a proper AP and you won't have to shitpost on /g/
>>
File: what.gif (1 MB, 320x236) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
1 MB, 320x236
>>55196719
>>55196750
Thanks guys, found the option on both firmwares! You're both right - much appreciated.

>>55196792
Consider what qualifies as "shitposting" - a question and discussion about networking, or unsolicited purchase advice implying that buying a newer version of a product would somehow help me find an option in the same firmware settings menu my current version is running. You literally have no idea what this thread is about, do you?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-21_18-57-01.png (156 KB, 966x525) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-21_18-57-01.png
156 KB, 966x525
>>55196847

/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

For tech support/issues with computers, use /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests or one of the following:
https://startpage.com/ or https://duckduckgo.com (i.e., fucking google it)
https://stackexchange.com/
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

You can also search the catalog for a specific term by using:
https://boards.4chan.org/g/searchword or by clicking on [Search]

Always check the catalog before creating a thread
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-21_19-08-55.png (183 KB, 1036x599) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-21_19-08-55.png
183 KB, 1036x599
>>55196847
>>
>>55196627
>>55196792
>>55196938
Holy fuck, the illiterate shitposters are out in force today. Wanna enlighten OP and I how a powerline adapter would allow one to connect a Wireless AP to an open external wifi network? You're both assuming you know why OP wants to do this, but I'd bet you're wrong, since he mentions wanting to connect multiple wired clients to this specific open wifi network using a single MAC address - he's obviously torrenting, connecting to hidden services, or trying to anonymously host something. Take this bullshit back to your graphics card threads.

OP - I've done this with DD-WRT, never with TOmato (despite trying). If you're on the full version of DD-WRT, you should have enough flash memory to store your connectivity settings, but if you're not (do double check if you aren't sure, since only certain 54G models have enough NVRAM for this), you might run into my problem where it randomly "forgets" - might have been a bug that got patched, as my experience with this was, like, circa 2009 or so. Also, back then, it was called WDS mode. Set it as an AP and a repeater/bridge/whatever it says, not just as a repeater, since that'll disable your LAN ports.

PS - note that you'll have to specify which channel the external wifi connection is broadcasting on. This is going to be a bitch if, like most routers, it's set to change channels if/when it detects too much noise. So, if you randomly drop connectivity after a couple days, this would be the first place to look.
>>
>>55197073
>you have to specify the channel
nope, it's a college as op mentioned, shits gonna be fucked up anyways.

54mbps / 8 = 6.75MB/s, maximum transfer speed not including noise and interference. microwaves are pretty prevalent in colleges.

>single mac address
an extender does the exact same fucking thing as two ddwrt routers. frames are relayed from interface to the next.

fucking clueless plebs.
>>
>>55197057
Why should he buy some new shit piece of hardware to do a simple task that he already had two shit boxes perfectly capable of doing and just needed some pointers to get set up? Don't barge in with your poor purchasing advice when a topic is outside of your limited field of knowledge, especially when you're replying to a post where OP's telling you to stop doing exactly this, fucking retard.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.