[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't APUs more popular? They provide pretty great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: AMD-Carizo-APU-635x273.png (159 KB, 635x273) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Carizo-APU-635x273.png
159 KB, 635x273
Why aren't APUs more popular?
They provide pretty great performance both as a CPU and a GPU, for the price. Instead of buying a gaymur laptop for high performance you could buy an APU laptop and be done with it for a quarter of the original cost. A10 pretty much is enough for anyone's computing needs

Why aren't they popular?
>>
>>55189582
What's the difference between an APU and a CPU with an integrated graphics chip?
Aren't most Intel CPU's APU's in that regard?
>>
File: p8OchKp.jpg (189 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
p8OchKp.jpg
189 KB, 1280x718
>>55189582
Because the cpu side sux. AMD Zen should change that. I currently run a i5 and If i needed a cpu right now it would still get an intel. Hopefully Zen comes out this year so I can upgrade.
>>
Modular is more easily upgradable and dedicated graphics still blow them out the water. I see the potential in laptops but there isn't much in desktop.
>>
>>55189639
Zen comes out in Q1 2017
>>
>>55189606
It's mostly a marketing term I believe. AMD's APUs are designed to support the HSA specification also though
>>
>>55189606
APUs are faster because they have the GPU and CPU on the same die, aka silicon
Intel's integrated graphics are CPU + GPU on a single chip, but different die

tl;dr APUs is CPU+GPU share the same physical space, while Intel's ones are CPU+GPU in different physical space
>>
>>55189582
HARNESSING
LEVERAGING
COMBINING

That's why. Buzzwords.
>>
File: aae.png (261 KB, 1025x360) Image search: [Google]
aae.png
261 KB, 1025x360
>>55189672
>buzzwords
Reminds me of this
>>
>>55189649
>Modular is more easily upgradable and dedicated graphics still blow them out the water. I see the potential in laptops but there isn't much in desktop.
This
APUs in laptops are pretty great, my mom owns one. They run cool, are considerably powerful and the best of all, inexpensive.
But as far as desktops are considered, APUs dont hold against dedicated CPUs and GPUs
>>
>>55189681
Proactive result oriented team player
>>
>>55189582
Jack of all trades master of none
>>
>>55189681
>shower challenge
>capture your colleagues stakeholders
>>
>>55190297
Also very cheap.
>>
>>55190494
>>55190263
>>55189681
>Not the objectively superior High Altitude Approach
>>
1.] They currently fucking suck balls. Desktop A10s are only good for playing vydia in 720p resolution. They also struggle with the newest games out there in 720p.

2.] People don't understand them and are brainwashed to believe by ads that intel=good.

Hopefully AMD will release APUs that at least support dual channel 3.2 GHz RAM (51.2GB/s) soon and we will see better performance on 1080p resolution. Making better advertisements would also help, maybe hire tom hanks to do an ad or something.
>>
Intel Iris Pro already outperforms anything AMDefunct can provide
>>
File: bigmanneedsabigcomputer.jpg (73 KB, 649x487) Image search: [Google]
bigmanneedsabigcomputer.jpg
73 KB, 649x487
why do people use CPUs when they're deprecated?
>>
>>55191853
For 4X the price lmao
>>
>>55191853
A10 APU it's still better than iris pro and costs less
>>
>Why aren't APUs more popular?

Because they make shit CPU's and shit GPU's
Just look how they are priced, budget tier garbage.
>>
>>55191863
Deprecated by what senpai
>>
>>
AMD makes better APUs for laptops. Intel still can't make a proper gaming gpu.
>>
>>55189662
wrong
>>
>>55189582
>great performance both as a CPU
haha nope

>and a GPU, for the price
Nope, not really considering how shit they are
>A10 pretty much is enough for anyone's computing needs
ahahhaha, it's a shit APU.
>>
>>55192042
But they're not used outside of shit budget laptops since they're so inefficient and slow.
>>
>>55189582
APUs are the ultimate poorfag CPU. Lets you play games at decent framerates and still avoid getting a dedicated GPU. If you really want, you can get a cheap AMD GPU and run it in dual graphics mode.
>>
>>55192460
buy a used sandy machine plus buy/get a dedicated GPU for less money and much better performance
>>
>>55192544
>>>55192460
>buy a used sandy machine plus buy/get a dedicated GPU for less money and much better performance
Or just get an A8 + cheap gpu and crossfire it and avoid using used parts like a normal human being.
>>
>>55192544
You can buy used anything and get better performance, but that comes with all the usual drawbacks of buying used (no warantee, no guarantee of a refund, could be getting poorly abused/highly OCed parts, basically a crapshoot)
>>
>>55192574
>I'd rather spend my money and use really low end stuff because the junk might last longer

Suit yourself...
>>
File: 1465594109363.jpg (161 KB, 800x572) Image search: [Google]
1465594109363.jpg
161 KB, 800x572
>>55192574
>crossfiring low end GPUs
>>
>>55189582
The new Polaris/Zen APU will be great
>>
>>55192652
Sandy bridge and A8 CPUs are actually pretty close in performance. The integrated gpu + dedicated low-entry gpu can give you the same framerate as a mid-entry level card.

see pic related, the difference us like 10% in performance.
>>
>>55189582
APUs ARE super popular.
After all the biggest grafics chip manufacturer in the world is Intel with their integrated GPU lineup.

Also pro tip:
Pairing a Xeon with a high end dedicated GPU for gaymen is not always the best idea. I ran into quite a few situations, where my dedicated GPU fucked up, and the integrated graphics saved me from having to fix my PC using my phone, which is quite awesome.
>>
>>55192788
You'd be very surprised especially with the newest AMD drivers how well it works. A $80 A8 APU + $79 R7 250 (1gb gddr5) will go a long way with crossfire in 1080p.
>>
>>55189582
OEMs are being leveraged by Intel to not use them.
>>
>>55189582
>lack of upgradeability like a laptop
>lack of portability like a desktop

Worst of both worlds. Pieces of shit.
>>
>>55193242
What the fuck are you talking about? All desktop A8 builds have at least 1 pci-express 16x slot for a dedicated graphics card.
>>
>>55192834
Now compare it to a 9 year old Q6600
>>
My Laptop has an A10 APU, and let me tell you, this thing runs HOT when doing ANYTHING even remotely demanding. It's actually fucking ridiculous although it could be the thin retarded design of the Laptop. I've set the max clock speed to 0% (which is 1.35Ghz) just so it keeps cool and quiet when browsing. However even with the clock speed limited it still gets very hot if I play a game or something. The funny thing is the CPU side is so shit there isn't really much of a difference in performance when running it at 1.35ghz.
>>
>>55193389
Most laptops tend to overheat with intensive tasks because they're not meant for them, APU or not.
>>
APU are really popular, just not under the name APU.
>>
>>55193506
Then what's literally the point in buying a Laptop with better specs than another? Why aren't we just buying celeron Laptops and nothing else?
>>
>>55189639
The GPUs are also shit. DDR3 is still a huge bottleneck. This might change when they implement HBM for the GPU side, or some type of L4 cache like Intel did with their Iris Pro.

Compare a lowlevel GPU like a GTX 650(M) or R7 250, the memory type does easily increase the performance by 30 % or more.
>>
>>55192834
What are you using to compare them? Just curious, looks handy.
>>
>>55189582
APUs only get fit into garbage laptops and most people don't really give a shit about games performance on a portable
>>
my a10 sucks
>>
>>55193979
passmark, though single thread scores aren't very useful since most processors have turbo boost that varies the cpu frequency too much.

In the end it is a synthetic benchmark but overall trustworthy than most especially with the number of samples used.

The multi-core passmark score (in red) is what you should pay attention to.
>>
Wake me when Zen is released
>>
>>55189582
Probably because of that overt, obvious, pathetic fucking marketing example you just added.

It literally says NOTHING in even MORE words than either the CPU or GPU alone. The easiest way to sell it would be to simply put "The power of two in one."

No wonder AMD's sales are in the shitter. They overpay for shitlord marketing.
>>
>>55194051
>Can't wake up
Its going to be dissappointing anyway
>>
>>55194064
You nervous? So am I.
>>
>AMD marketing
>Yeah well its cheaper and you're supporting freedom and...
>Shit nobody cares about

Intel and Nvidia
>Bazinga
>Its just the way its meant to be played you poorfag

AMD just needs better marketing
>>
>>55194064
If all the rumors are true then Zen has 2X the performance of bulldozer.

That would give an 8-core 3.6 GHz Zen chip about 16,000 in passmark or about the same performance as a non-overclocked 8-core i7-5960X.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!
>>
>>55192118
Correct him then, fag
>>
>>55194173
>If all the rumors are true
>AMD

You know they aren't
>>
>>55194203
Look family, if AMD fucks this up then they could go bankrupt. They had based Jim hauling ass with Zen so I got a good feeling it won't be shit.

You better hope for the same thing because if not then only intel will be produce high performance processors and raise the prices 2-4X of what they are now just because they can.
>>
>>55194184
Different anon, but an APU just means that the iGPU and the CPU are designed to work together for computational tasks. My 2500k has the CPU and the GPU integrated on the same silicon, but nobody would call it an APU. Hate to quote Wikipedia, but it gets the term correct here:
>the marketing term for a series of 64-bit microprocessors from AMD designed to act as a CPU and graphics accelerator (GPU) on a single chip
>>
Because being stuck on DDR3 cripples any attempts at getting decent performance out of APUs. Getting DDR4 in next-gen APUs out to help with that, at least somewhat.
>>
>>55194041
Interesting, thank you.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.