[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished writing thesis. lots of free time. trying to install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: ArchGentooFreeBSD.jpg (47 KB, 730x365) Image search: [Google]
ArchGentooFreeBSD.jpg
47 KB, 730x365
just finished writing thesis. lots of free time.
trying to install gentoo, arch, freebsd on a computer that already has fedora and windows.
in the end, it should have all five OSes with grub having all entries. how should I go about doing this? I never used a BSD. Any caveats?
>>
>>55188479
>This thread again

Gentoo if you have infinite time to read source and compile your stuff for the astonishing ~3% performance improvement

FreeBSD if you want security. They have a good trick, it's called having no software. Greatly reduces the malware attack surface.

Arch if you want a perfect DIY distro but get cucked by unstable updates
>>
>>55188789
>this reply again
tell me about installing all three. not about the OSes
>>
>>55188859
Follow each guide for install and then tell grub about it. Thats about it.
I don't know why you would want to do this and not just try them in a VM but thats your choice.
>>
>>55188789
But freebsd has support for Linux binaries
>>
>>55188479
Gentoo is the best and only distro I will use. When you actually use it you will realize its about freedom and control and not about the performance increases like people think.
>>
>>55191660
yea, 23mb used RAM without kernel after start
>>
>>55191660
>When you actually use it you will realize its about freedom and control and not about the performance increases like people think.

But that freedom and control naturally gives you performance since you dont have a bunch of shit you dont need
>>
in fedora install docker, and pull arch and gentoo.

-2 oses
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.