[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The most powerful programming language is Lisp. If you don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: pp_asdk_trekera.jpg (498 KB, 2952x2384) Image search: [Google]
pp_asdk_trekera.jpg
498 KB, 2952x2384
The most powerful programming language is Lisp. If you don't know Lisp (or its variant, Scheme), you don't know what it means for a programming language to be powerful and elegant. Once you learn Lisp, you will see what is lacking in most other languages.

Unlike most languages today, which are focused on defining specialized data types, Lisp provides a few data types which are general. Instead of defining specific types, you build structures from these types. Thus, rather than offering a way to define a list-of-this type and a list-of-that type, Lisp has one type of lists which can hold any sort of data.

Where other languages allow you to define a function to search a list-of-this, and sometimes a way to define a generic list-search function that you can instantiate for list-of-this, Lisp makes it easy to write a function that will search any list — and provides a range of such functions.

In addition, functions and expressions in Lisp are represented as data in a way that makes it easy to operate on them.

When you start a Lisp system, it enters a read-eval-print loop. Most other languages have nothing comparable to `read', nothing comparable to `eval', and nothing comparable to `print'. What gaping deficiencies!

Lisp is no harder to understand than other languages. So if you have never learned to program, and you want to start, start with Lisp. If you learn to edit with Emacs, you can learn Lisp by writing editing commands for Emacs. You can use the Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp to learn with: it is free as in freedom, and you can order printed copies from the FSF.

You can learn Scheme (and a lot of deep ideas about programming) from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Abelson and Sussman. That book is now free/libre although the printed copies do not say so.
>>
()()()()(((((((((()((((((()(((((((((((((((()))))))))())))))))))))((()))()())()
>>
>>55186696
(((Schemeberg)))
>>
>>55186696
You know what I can't stand. Programmers claiming superiority and saying that their language is the best yadayada.
You are only a true programmer when you respect other programmers and their preferred language. You should try different types of IDE:s and languages if you have the will and time sure..
Perhaps people are stuck in a environment where you are forced to write code in a certain language. Claiming that they are retarded for not having the time is only making you look like the fool.

I get it, it is awesome and you wanna promote but stop with that shitty rhetoric.. You are making us all look like idiots. Btw. MSE Cs (5 y) here
>>
>>55186987
Finally, some common sense.
>>
>>55186696
No, it's shit because of the arguments you just named.

Also, >>55186987 applies.
>>
Autolisp is shit tho
>>
>>55186696
>>55186987
Its clearly a joke ffs. Op is being extremely mimetic
>>
>>55189762
OP is actually quoting Richard Stallman verbatim.

>>55186987
It's still important to point out languages that people can learn from. There are languages that don't have a place in enterprise but the mere act of learning them teaches developers a lot. Lisp is one of those languages.
>>
>>55189961
>quoting Richard Stallman verbatim
Ahhh that actually makes a ton of sense then
>>
>>55186987
> MSE
You had me until you lost all authority
>>
>>55186696
I spent years learning Common Lisp but never felt like it was a good tool for production code. Finding other cl programmers was the biggest hurdle, followed by readability issues and variations in implementations and IDEs.

I was a lot more hopeful about Clojure. Transducers, first class maps and sets made it like a better cl. The fact that it runs on the jvm made it work friendly.

Sadly the lack of tools and other lisp programmers made it pale in the face of Scala, which I adopted instead at my job. It brings the benefits of functional programming and a lot of the customizability of lisp but keeps oop, our industry's sick addiction to which makes it truly hard to adopt a lisp in a real company.
>>
>>55190059
Because I'm deflecting the faggots that claim I have no experience?
>>
>>55186696
haskell is better
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.