[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people trust corporations not to mine your data just because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: url.png (5 KB, 151x151) Image search: [Google]
url.png
5 KB, 151x151
Why do people trust corporations not to mine your data just because they promised they wouldn't?

There's new sites and services that pop up every day promising security and privacy but why would any of you choose to believe them?
>>
Because regular people don't really care.
>>
>>55184210
Clearly the target audience for services like startpage and tox are people who do care though. Otherwise they'd just use google and facebook chat.
>>
>>55184226
There are people that use tox?
>>
File: 1433983237201.jpg (25 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1433983237201.jpg
25 KB, 433x380
>>55184235
None that I know but i see it mentioned here pretty often.
>>55184100
>>55178964
>>55156806
>>
Should I believe DuckDuckGo?
>>
>>55185292
Why would you?
>>
>>55185311
Because they told us and have app on f-droid.
>>
>>55185311
Because if they are a problem , you can say that in their policy they said that so they can't do shit.
They are forced to do what they say or it's pointless so and still better than gaagle
>>
Their entire business model falls apart the moment they can't uphold their word, and only one person is enough for this. It's in their interest as much as the users' to provide what they say.
>>
File: iStock_000000746781Medium.jpg (2 MB, 1700x1129) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000000746781Medium.jpg
2 MB, 1700x1129
>>55185449
Who would hold them accountable for that? Not only would it not be against the law for them to track you at the request of the government, it would be illegal for them NOT to and it would be even more illegal for them to tell you about it.

That is the world we live in.
>>
>>55185686
So far there haven't been any incidents of DuckDuckGo providing any information about its users. If that does happen, then DDG as a company collapses since it will lose nearly all of its userbase. Any company that boasts privacy and doesn't implement it will be short-lived because of this. Obviously the risk of DDG sharing it's info at some point in the future is more probable than if it was based in Panama or something, but that doesn't necessarily mean that DDG lying about its policies.
>>
How does DDG make money?
>>
>>55186012
It is best not to ask too many questions.
>>
>>55184271
I hope you die you stupid pedophile
>>
Startpage is better though.. Right? I mean they even let you choose what servers to access (American, EU, Asia), and let you make POST https requests. So that means it's at least safe from the nsa and my isp..right?
>>
>>55185292

The guy who started DDG used to run a dedicated data/email mining company, you can't trust them.

>>55186012

They just sold off to Yahoo.
>>
>>55187704
I'm weirded out by that Yahoo partnership.

Does anyone here use ixquick?
>>
>>55188158
You should be, Yahoo is eventually going to want a return on their investment and the only thing DDG has to offer is user data or the advertising, and since most of their userbase blocks ads, guess which one they'll probably pick.

No word on ixquick, I use Startpage. It's apparently run by some paranoid Russian whack-job who hates the government so there's not as much risk of him farting your data off to the NSA if that's what you care about.

But honestly, if they want your data, they'll get it, and there's nothing you can do. Same goes for advertisers.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 313x286
>>55184271
>>55187443
Whats tox anyway? Im so far behind i should have been to jail and released by now
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.