[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finish junior year of Comp Sci degree >doing cozy internship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 1424793470857.png (448 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1424793470857.png
448 KB, 900x900
>finish junior year of Comp Sci degree
>doing cozy internship right now
>decide to look for jobs once I graduate
>almost every Comp Sci job (even Entry Level) REQUIRE 1-3 years MINIMUM of Java or SQL experience

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE IF IT'S AN ENTRY LEVEL POSITION WHAT THE FUCK
>>
work freelance jobs, your internship counts (I think), program shit on the side and then show them that- perhaps a combination of these things might squeak you by
>>
>>55183926
>SQL experience
they slap that on everything just to fuck with you, apply anyway and follow up with a phone call
>>
General rule: if you have half of the experience requirements, apply anyway.
Welcome to the job market though, it's bullshit, enjoy your stay!
>>
>>55184095
I don't understgand how EVERY entry level position can require this though. The only thing I can imagine is that some HR lady puts this on the Reqs list because they see it on every other Req list.

I also don't understand if experience is just knowing the language, doing personal projects, contracts, or having an actual 9-5. Fuck this shit I just want a job.
>>
>>55184159
HR does what corporate wants. They basically look around and say "Huh, well this is what the market it is and we want the best." See who applies and choose the best.

You don't need the experience. Anyone who actually has that experience knows what their worth and will either not apply or are completely incapable.
>>
Why not get a return offer from your internship place. Tons of large tech companies hire new grads as well (MSFT, AMZN, Google, IBM, FB)
>>
>>55183926
Stop worrying and apply. I worked IT recruiting before and 100% of the job descriptions I received were bullshit. They throw stuff on a page that is completely irrelevant to the job. HR is writing these job postings not the programmers, they don't know anything about writing code. It's really odd and counterproductive when you think about it.
>>
>>55184095
>your internship counts (I think)
They only count if they are with real employers. Employers tend to not give as much of a shit if you had a research internship or did work studies while in school.
>>
>>55183926
>Comp Sci degree
>doesn't even know sql
>>
>>55183926
Apply for jobs you know you can do, not ones you're qualified for.
>>
>>55184401
how does one go about getting a job from a large tech company
>>
>>55183926
>HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE IF IT'S AN ENTRY LEVEL POSITION WHAT THE FUCK

- School
- Internship
- Hobby programming

Most are pretty lenient. They generally count a summer internship as a year. You're just an idiot frogposter. The upper bound there of 3 years is to catch people switching jobs, ie someone who graduated, worked for 2.5 years, then switched jobs. They'd enter the new job at entry level rather than a higher level.
>>
File: spacetube.jpg (593 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
spacetube.jpg
593 KB, 2000x1333
>>55183926

Think of a job posting as a personal add.

>6''4
>DD
>Ebony
>College degree
>Ambitions in life
>Must love dogs!
>Not fat

If they have the right combination of those things, you'll live with it. If they have all of those things and you don't have the money they want... they were probably out of your league to begin with.
>>
>>55183926
>>>/biz/1325185
>>
>>55183926
Its just a nigger filter dude, every company has to have one nowadays.

See you can't tell LaShaniqua that she's an illiterate monkey and has no business working at your establishment because 'das rayciss n shieeet oogh oogh eek eek', and because there's a thousand Bergblatsteins just waiting to make her ghetto-rich and put you out of business.

But what you can do is deny undesirables based on unmet requirements, or choose to make exceptions at your discretion, it works pretty well tbqh.
>>
>>55183926
You can learn everything there is to know about SQL in a couple of days and this is a habit you should get into now if you want to make it in this field
>>
>>55184159
>I don't understgand how EVERY entry level position can require this though.
The people who are good at this shit are the people who love this shit. And they're doing it on their own, job or not.
When I got my CompSci degree, I'd already been a professional programmer for seven years.
>>
>>55186096
This, not having any experience and hoping that your degree is going to get you a job isn't going to work
>>
>>55183926
2nd year undergrad here. Coursework/projects count as experience. Also SQL basics takes a few hours and "mastery" shouldn't take more than a week I imagine. Java is usually synonymous with "Understands OO." Job listings are usually bullshit (outdated, overly formal) apply anyways and knock their socks off
>>
>>55183926
and boom retards like you be been filtered out already
>>
>>55183926
then you are aiming too high
>>
>>55187181
This

They put high requirements just to filter out people who aren't confident in their skills and to get upper hand in interviews and salary negotiations.
>>
The problem with retards who stay below 50k a year is they care what the job offer says.

If the position interests you, you lie in your portfolio and CV and apply anyway, you dumb fucking cunts.
>>
>>55183926
lol its because HR looks at similar companies and copies their requirements. If you believe them to be true then you already lost
>>
>>55183926
What shitty uni you study at? Don't the companies come there for campus recruitment?
>>
>>55184159
You have a trade.

You can give a bullshitting man no trade, and he will lie, smudge, and work around dates, places he's worked and add in experience; he has a definition of the market; he will get the job.

You give a man a trade. Without much experience in the overall job market, he's lost. He can not secure employment in his field. The bullshitter will take the job. He will not get the job because he can not conform to the market. (I.e, bullshitting).

you need to conform to the market. Did you work at Mcdonalds? Say you were an IT Guy.

Worked at Lowes? Don't tell them you were a floor associate. You were an IT guy. Create, and print out recommendations from Bosses. Lie, cheat, and steal to get the position.

While you were in School, lie and say you completed work for companies as a part of your curriculum, (creating programs in SQL for small businesses, etc.)

Lie, cheat and steal. It's an entry level position, once you get it and build experience, you won't need to bullshit as hard anymore, and it gets easier.
>>
>>55183926
I didn't even have a CS degree and had little trouble finding a job. Apply anyway but cast a wide net. Are you smart? Are you motivated? If yes, then someone will hire you.
>>
>>55183926
Welcome to programming.
>>
>>55189864
This is excellent advice tbqh
>>
Considering you're interning that already counts as experience.

One of my friends interned for 2-3 summers in IT Security, when she graduated she got hired at the place she interned at for a pretty good salary just coming right out of college that most would have to take a few years to get.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.