[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you last use your DVD drive /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: lo-dvd-drive-large.jpg (90 KB, 1562x795) Image search: [Google]
lo-dvd-drive-large.jpg
90 KB, 1562x795
When did you last use your DVD drive /g/?
>>
earlier today to burn some dvd movies for a family member
>>
a few days ago to burn an audio cd for my car
>>
>>55182652
>>55182644
this
>>
>>55182621
I don't even own one anymore.
>>
Several years ago.

How long until they disappear completely?

I say 2-5 years.
>>
Probably a year ago, but for some reason I can't NOT have one
And I sell computers, so I really should know better.
>>
A few days ago when I burnt a copy of windows 10 for friend.
>>
Earlier today to play a region 1 dvd for my kid
>>
>>55182621
When I installed Windows, so like 7 years ago. I don't even think it works anymore, though. I tried popping in a DVD a few weeks ago and the drive said there was no disc inserted.
>>
>>55182621
Some days ago.
>>
Inb4
>i dont need one so why do other peoplehave different needs than mee
>>
are there any inexpensive exnlocsures to turn an internal optical drive into an external one ?

The cases I am looking at lack external bays, but I can't just get rid of the drive.
>>
>>55182621
i had to connect mine to my case to copy visual basic from a DVD because my cousins laptop wouldnt read the DVD for some fucking reason
i officially last stopped using them like 4 years ago.
>>
>>55182621
Do Blu-Ray drives count? I used mine to watch that bank heist movie Heat on my second monitor while I was working on making some Win7 and Win8.1 USB installers.
>>
>>55182621
Probably about a year and a half ago, when I was ripping some music off a CD. I ordered another CD not too long ago, so I'll be using it again soon.

>>55182835
The use cases for optical drives are VERY limited these days. They're pretty much only good for ripping CDs and Blu-Rays.
>>
>>55182621
I use it about once every 6 months.
>>
>>55182621
Last year desu
>>
>>55182857
>They're pretty much only good for ripping CDs and Blu-Rays.

Sometimes I want to give people something and not worry about getting it back, discs are great for this.

Also, I still occasionally make mp3 discs for my car.
>>
I'm going to guess 2006
>>
>>55182885
Honestly, I should probably start doing this seeing as I hit my data cap usually about a week or two after paying my bill.
>>
File: 7817.png (1 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
7817.png
1 KB, 480x360
used one literally less than 24 hours ago

burned pfsense for an older dell optiplex
>>
>>55182621
Yesterday, to check some untitled disc with my personal photos in it, oh and some driver disk.

Im just lazy to look for the links, sometimes poping in the cd is faster than search and download the right version on the web.

Inb4 weak google-fu, no. Im just lazy and the web is a mess of hosting sites.
>>
>>55182885
>Sometimes I want to give people something and not worry about getting it back, discs are great for this.
It's ridiculously easy to give people shit over the internet, even to 'normies', these days.
>Also, I still occasionally make mp3 discs for my car.
Buy a stereo head unit that doesn't suck ass and has an aux input.
>>
>>55182621
I do not own one
>>
>>55182621

Burned Shenmue and a bunch of PS2 games a few weeks ago
>>
>>55182931
>>55182931
>Buy a stereo head unit that doesn't suck ass and has an aux input.
are you 16 ?

The stereo is fine, it has an aux in too.
But maybe I don't want to be fumbling around with an mp3/cellphone in my hand while I drive.
>>
>>55182931
>normies

Like normies even know how short bit links works, ive had clients or people who cant even enter the web addresses correctly, and they're at their 30s.

Disc is still important like it or not, dying ? No, declining for mass usage ? Maybe. Until we have something that can replace or doesn't fail when the internet is down , cds is here to stay.
>>
I don't have one in my PC. I've never used the one in my laptop. Optical media is deprecated.

>>55182740
We're already phasing them out at work. We've got around 2000 PCs without an optical drive now. It's nice because we can use smaller form factor PCs when you don't need a massive 5.25" drive in place.
>>
>>55182961
>Not having the volume buttons be "next song" when your phone's screen is off
Enjoy being limited amount of music.

>>55182993
>Until we have something that can replace or doesn't fail when the internet is down , cds is here to stay.
Have you ever heard of a USB flash drive?
>>
File: stop_liking_what_i_dont_like.jpg (43 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
stop_liking_what_i_dont_like.jpg
43 KB, 400x350
ITT
>>
File: BLACKED.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BLACKED.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>55182621
W7 install
>>
>>55182621
Yesterday. I burnt my friend a recovery disc.
>>
File: 1343444784599.png (362 KB, 500x562) Image search: [Google]
1343444784599.png
362 KB, 500x562
July 2013 when I installed Windows 7 on my computer. I didn't even put the drive inside the case. I had to borrow the drive from a friend, I don't even own one.
>>
>>55182621
To install Windows 10.

I actually don't have enough SATA cables, so I took one off of a secondary hard drive, plugged in the DVD drive to install Windows, and swapped the cable back to the hard drive.

I still have the drive in my case, but its not plugged in... ;_;
>>
Its been years.
None of my computers even have cdrom drives anymore.
>>
>>55183103
SATA cables aren't too expensive, anon... Unless you're one of those people who has to have everything color matching that is. In which case, you're doing this to yourself
>>
>>55182621
2009 or so
>implying even have a DVD drive
>>
>>55182908
>data cap
>>
a few weeks ago but it spontaneously died during a backup and wouldn't read any discs so I trashed it and haven't bothered ordering a new one. probably won't do it.
>>
File: 1361219703179.gif (981 KB, 342x239) Image search: [Google]
1361219703179.gif
981 KB, 342x239
>>55182621
>not having an OD

this meme...
>>
>>55183120
Same here. After some thought I even replaced my laptop cdrom drive with a ssd cady and put in a sandisk ssd plus about a year ago. Last time I used the cdrom drive was like in 2012 when I bought some animu I could not torrent anywhere.
>>
>>55183008
So you give out free usb flash drive as disposable media transport to your 10k clients ?
Wow thats generous of you, i bet your boss is a generous person.

Please don't tell me your clients will bring everything back the way it was let alone bringing back the item you handed out.
>>
>>55183220
What the fuck do you use it for gramps? I download all my vydia and animu through something they call "the internet".
>>
>>55183235
>10k clients
Wow, what a normal use case that everybody can relate to.
Are you seriously going to spend the money on 10,000 CDs when you can host that shit online for virtually nothing?

Stop strawmanning, you fucking retard. When did anybody bring up businesses?
Even then, most consumer shit doesn't come on CDs anymore either.
>>
>>55183081
>>55183103
>>55183120

I dont use an internal dvd drive but,
I have an external dvd drive i keep for purposes said above, but heck baby, you guys still install windows via cd ? Ive been booting install via flash drive since 200X.

Man you guys are wrong in a strange way.
>>
>>55182851
Yes you can get one for 30$ off of amazon.
>>
>>55182851
Just get a USB optical drive for like $10. They're much smaller and thinner than stuffing a 5.25" drive into an enclosure.
>>
>>55183261
Hosting is confirmed to be one, a cd for devices as a backup media is a must. Stop moving the goal post, if internet is not an option for third world pajeets or dindu , how are you gonna get the stuff to them ?
Last i checked motherboard still provides cd for drivers, even a simple gigabit card. Not to mention enterprises.

Again, if you have no pajeet or dindu clients, good for you.
>>
I don't own any. Only use I could ever see for one is copying a storage bin full of CDs but most of it already is done. If I needed to do that, I would buy a USB one.
>>
>>55183307
And you continue with your fucking straw man.
>>
>>55183307
>Using optical media to distribute data to 10k customers.
Did you work for AOL in the 90's?
>>
200 years ago
>>
>>55183349
i'm almost done cracking your tripcode & makin dat vein pop in your head boy
>>
>>55183349
holy shit someone actually cracked it!
>>
A few days ago to burn an OS installer
A few days before that to burn a Dreamcast game

I use it at least once a week
>>
>>55183367
Good luck with that, I'll just change it.
>>
I burn backups to disc now and then.

I own the drive so there's really no reason not to have it installed, even if I didn't use it.
>>
>>55183349

No, not in the 90s but 20s.
Face it, aa long cd still comes with motherboards. My point stands firm.
>>
Funnily enough I was rebuilding my PC a few hours ago (tidying up cables and shit) and was seriously thinking about leaving the optical drive out, but decided it's better to have one in there incase.
>>
>>55183459
You dont "need" to have one in there, you need it but not IN it.

You dont want its pcb fails in a sudden and then your pc wont boot into OS and scratching your ass figuring out what happened.

Buy an external case , slap it in. If the drive is no longer needed you can use it as a ext hdd drive.
>>
>>55182621
A few weeks ago to burn an acronis ISO
>>
>>55183455
Those CDs are just 90% bloat. You can find everything you actaully need on the motherboard manufacturer's website.
Even then, if you're using GNU/Linux, most of the shit you need is pre-installed.
>>
>>55182621
tfw mine doesnt work all the time and came reigion locked to usa

i might just remove it desu because i dont use it
>>
>>55183632
>bloat

Doesn't change the fact i mentioned above. Read>>55183307
>>
>>55183700
Also why dont you guys suggest oem or professional software manufacturers to stop sending barely useful 90% bloat disc with 10% driver.

When they stop, i gladly stop.
>>
Current burning a Blu-ray at this moment, all the 1080p rips of TRON:Uprising for safe keeping with PAR files as well.

Optical is still the most cost effective storage for me overall. Sure I could get a bunch of hard drives and lose fucking terabytes at a time when they go bad. With optical media, the most I'll lose at any given time is about 22GB since that's the most I'll put on a BD single layer disc anyway and part of that is always the PAR files for recovery (7.5%).

Haven't lost a bit of data on CD/DVD and now Blu-ray for the past 15 years with this strategy, not one fucking bit of information but I have most definitely had hard drives just give up the ghost at a moment's notice where hundreds of gigs of data are wiped out - luckily the really really important stuff is on optical media for storage, it was left on the hard drive(s) for regular use.

Big hard drives are nice, sure, even big SSDs are nice but, the idea of losing that much data in a split second, nope, I won't go for that.
>>
>>55183742
>cost effective

Damn right about that, in terms of storage and operational costs and maintain cost its cheaper and less risky compare to hdd or even ssd. Its not like i wanna access the files 24/7, else i wont store in dvd/bd

Inb4 anon saya its not viable for their music and videos.
>>
>>55182912
Do it with a USB-Stick
>>
>>55183778
>for an older computer
Maybe it doesn't support booting from USB.
>>
to burn ubuntu and win10 to cd
>>
>>55182621
I have a combo DVD/HDDVD/BDROM SATA drive that I'm currently using now to rip the last of my HDDVD's.
>>
>>55182621
Couple days ago to burn Red Hat 5.1 installation media for an old PPro I was messing with.

Firing it up again later probably for OS X 10.4 or 10.3.
>>
Yesterday because I found an old Massive Attack CD in the basement, but before that, couple months.
>>
>>55182931
>Buy a stereo head unit that doesn't suck ass and has an aux input.
>wasting hundreds fucking up my clean stock interior with a nigger rigged non-matching ricer shit head unit because optical media isn't trendy enough for some tech hipster on the internet anymore
Nah, I'm fine with burning a CD once every two months, thanks.
>>
I played Oregon Trail yesterday.
So.
I mean.
Yesterday.
>>
>>55184381
Was it at least Mezzanine? Also, why not just download it?
>>
>>55184452
Because he could just pop the fucking CD in his fucking optical drive, install it and play it right that moment?
>>
how do you troubleshoot windows without a cd? i mean you have windows 10 sitting right there, not being used, thanks to no OD...
>>
No, I mean if he liked the band, why did he not already have it on his computer?
>>
>>55182621
I'm using it to play my ps2 games at 1080p, pretty comfy.
>>
>>55182621
I use it fairly regularly. I have a BD drive for ripping movies in high quality, and I burn most GNU/Linux isos I install so that I have an archive of them.
>>
>>55184498
Tastes change, but it doesn't mean you can't dig up a CD now and again that you used to like and still enjoy listening to it.
>>
>>55182621
I'm using mine right now to copy a bunch of movies to my server
>>
>>55184452
Twas Mezzanine! I forgot I even had it...
>>
one minute ago ripping some dvds
>>
About two years ago, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
Burning CDs is very important for adults who need to keep important bills, photos and other documents. Trusting hard drives is retarded. BUYING dozens of hard drives for multiple backups is retarded too.
>>
it arrived yesterday, I'm rebuilding my rig sometime this week

shall be used for burning PS2 games
>>
>>55185575
You just need 1 backup you fool. Hard disk comes in 8TB these days. There are also cloud backup services like Crashplan.
Trusting CDs to not rot is also more retarded. Enjoy your illusion of backups until you finally check the CDs to find that 50% have rotted away.
>>
10 years ago, who the fuck still uses this outdated shit
>>
>>55182621
>like 4 months ago

I don't have a DVD drive in none of my three desktop computers, but I still have one in my sandy bridge Latitude, which was godsend when I needed to hand in my coursework last semester in print AND CD for whatever retarded reason.

TL:DR they still sort of have a place
>>
>>55182621

burned a 360 game
>>
Some weeks ago because I couldnt get seatools to boot from a usb.
>>
>>55185737
People who use
>old consoles
>computers that don't support USB booting
>etc.
>>
>>55185737
me
>>
I can't remember. It was at least the last incarnation of my computer, because I can't even use it now with my IDE-less mobo. It now sits in the case unplugged because I'd have nothing to put in the empty slot
>>
>>55185645

>look kids, someone that doesn't know what an M-DISC is
>look at him, look at him and laugh
>>
2010, or thereabouts.
>>
>>55185645
>You just need 1 backup
>calling others fools
>>
>>55182621
When I burned a data cd for my car. Seriously.
>>
last week, burned new freebsd install image
>>
>>55186488
For Jeep, you get firmware updates by mail sent on USB drives.

For Lada, you have to download updates from Kazaa and install via CD player.
>>
On my main machine I have an external Bluray writer but I haven't had it hooked up in about a year and a half. I've mostly used it to rip movies and music. I haven't used a disc to install an OS since... 2006 maybe? Roughly around Vista anyway.
>>
>>55184319
I miss HD-DVD. All of my Warner Bros titles have disc rot, glad I ripped them to my Plex server when I had the chance.

Last time I used an optical drive was three years ago to rip my Breaking Bad blu Ray set
>>
>>55186438
>expensive per GB
>can't even rewrite disc
I just updated my old movies files with new x265 encodes by downloading them and deleting them off my hard disk with a key press.
Enjoy reburning your optical media.
>I-I don't want to do that anyway, totally not sour grapes
>>
The only times I've ever used a CD drive it has come in very handy making life easy

Installing a windows CD with no PC to create a disk, installing motherboard drivers with no way connect to internet without them

Although now I have an external HDD and flash drives I don't need them, but still. Was good.
>>
I always use it after doing works. Optical drive still worth it nowadays. I feels more safe actually.
>>
>>55186784
>backing up shit you can torrent
>>
>>55186926
>trusting torrents to exist forever
>>
>>55186947
The exact one may not but you can't tell me you legitimately expect anything remotely popular to just disappear off the Internet.
>>
>>55186971
You can't tell me you legitimately expect me to watch only popular things.
>>
>>55186990
I never said I did
>>
>>55182621
If removing it counts, a month ago.
>>
>>55186996
That's good.
I don't get to decide which is popular so I have to keep everything I want and not rely on torrents.
>>
>>55182621
>When did you last use your DVD drive /g/?
Installing Windows 7.
>>
that's where i keep my live dvds and system recovery disc
>>
>>55182652
>car with cd

Enjoy your 20 yo wrack, poorfag
>>
>>55182750
install windows 10 from a usb stick, moron
>>
>>55183794
you're just retarded. even my 440cdx toshiba laptop from the pentium 1 era supports usb booting
>>
>>55184471
literally takes less than 5 seconds to torrent an entire album if you're not a complete retard. without the retarded optical disc noise and waste of space
>>
>>55187402
>not using a usb
famalam i am disappointed
>>
>>55187780
and now watch him reply how he's incapable of booting from usb because of his mental retardation
>>
>>55182621
Yesterday
>>
DVD's are still the only viable throw-away storage we have.
>>
>>55182621
about 2 weeks ago, brought 2 music CDs for some cents, and ripped them on my computer
>>
2012 i think
> i used to download youtube vlogs and burn them on cd's
>>
>>55182652
same but a few weeks ago
>>
Is there any disadvantage to just using a USB based external optical drive?
>>
burned a shit load of dad rock onto a cd and gave it to my dad for fathers day
>>
yesterday, replayed deus ex from cd
>>
>>55182621
Installing USB and Ethernet drivers for old school pc
>>
>i'm using right now
currently in the progress of ripping my old cd's to flac
>>
I use them all the time. Infinitely easier to have a bootable disc with dos tools on it than trying to get a USB stick to do it
>>
>>55182621
Burned some drivers for a noob. Used an external DVD drive to install Windows 10 on a laptop with no internal drive. Copied some old superplay videos from some DVDs someone gave me ages ago.
>>
>>55187769
My premium asus 775 lga mobo doesnt...
>>
File: not even my final form.jpg (237 KB, 710x474) Image search: [Google]
not even my final form.jpg
237 KB, 710x474
I still use 3.5" floppy.
>>
A couple of days ago to rip a CD i bought.
>>
I actually had to connect mine for the first time in like 5 years a few weeks ago. It's been installed the whole time but I never bothered to plug it in when I moved cases last time.

I bought a bunch of bargain bin PC games at OfficeMax and they were all on disc so I had no real choice.

Haven't used it since.

I'd use it more if discs weren't the most fragile bullshit medium in the fucking world. I used to burn DVD's all the time, sometimes for backups, sometimes for movies, and almost all of them are ruined from getting thrown around in moves so much. Feels bad man, I had a lot of good shit I'll never get back.
>>
>>55182621
Installed Windows 8.1 with a burned DVD-R
>>
DVDs are a pretty good form of backup imo, i burn a few a week
>>
last week for backing up some files
>>
>>55182621

Three weeks ago to reinstall win7/Debian Jessie. I have a Gigabyte motherboard so basic stuff like booting from USB doesn't work. (BIOS claims it can but won't power the pendrive until AFTER booting something goddamned chinks)
>>
>>55182621
About 3 years ago
>>
I don't even have one
>>
>>55182621
My current laptop does not have a disc drive.
>>
>>55182644
That's against the law.
>>
>>55193173
You're a little bitch.
>>
>>55193173
it's not
>>
>>55182621
yesterday, to watch some pirated scary movies that ended up being in Spanish rip
>>
A couple years ago when I used my DVD drive to burn Wii ISOs to play on my homebrew Wii.
>>
When I installed Windows and some old games.

Now it just in the drive bay, disconnected.
>>
1 week ago. Ripped 350gb worth of stuff off of blurays.
>>
I just installed Debian Stretch with a CD earlier today
>>
>>55183103
>having a drive plugged in when not in use

You`re saving electricity when its not plugged in anyway, Anon.
>>
File: 1444689047974.png (683 KB, 680x264) Image search: [Google]
1444689047974.png
683 KB, 680x264
>>55193525
>power is mere pennies/KWh
>being worried about an optical drive that's not even spinning a fucking disc
>>
A few days ago when I confirmed my life is over.

Popped in the mri CD to see a partially torn distal bicep.

Feels fucking bad man, rip the best years of my life.
>>
File: 14650309340880.png (40 KB, 485x319) Image search: [Google]
14650309340880.png
40 KB, 485x319
>>55193708

Don't worry man, you'll be alright
>>
I wish mine still worked, I have a craving for old video games and I want to watch Futurama again. Don't have a DVD player because why the fuck would I have one when I have a PC.
Last used it to rip a ton of my music so I could put it on my mp3 player and to install LabVIEW.
>>
>>55187756
That's the more expensive route
>>
About 2-3 years ago. It's not installed anymore.
>>
A couple years ago to install roller coaster tycoon 3.
>>
>>55193525
>sent from my 980ti/Intel build I use to shitpost and grasp at every straw
>>
>>55193203
you have the vocabulary of a street person
>>
>be on /g/
>post from a Thinkpad running NT 4
>nobody gives a shit
>post from a Power Mac running OS 9
>nobody gives a shit
>post from a 486 running DOS and Windows 3.1
>nobody gives a shit
>own scores of floppy disks and use them regularly
>nobody gives a shit
>mention that I've used optical media in the last five years and didn't hate it
>300 replies and 100 images hidden
>>
3 month ago, installing intuos drivers (which doesn't work on Windows 10)
>>
File: tvnviewer_2016-06-21_15-34-06.png (261 KB, 1922x1156) Image search: [Google]
tvnviewer_2016-06-21_15-34-06.png
261 KB, 1922x1156
Fuuuck, you made me accidentally open my desktop's drive from my bed. I heard it open and now I gotta get up and go close it
>>
>>55182621
Couple of years ago.

To make a TrueCrypt recovery disk.
>>
>>55182621
~2 months ago to watch a DVD when the internet went out.
>>
>>55194907
Why didn't it invite you along?
>>
>>55182621
today to rip some PS2 isos
>>
>>55193756
Get an external one then.
>>
>>55194682
just restart the pc dumbo (unless its a slim form factor drive, then youre fucked)
>>
>>55194974
I tried using nircmd to close it but the drive didn't respond to the close command. I literally had to get up and walk over. Fucking awful
>>
>>55182621
Had a pretty severe accident six years ago and got a bunch of CTs, MRIs etc on CD. As I lost my long term memory for quite some time after the accident I looked at those scans to puzzle together what happened. There was one full body CT just an hour after the accident and a very detailed CT of my head on it (Concussion etc). It's weird, because when you render a CT of your head it's hairless and plain white. It's kind of like looking at a ghost and that's how it felt, like looking at my ghost.

Anyway, tl;dr six years ago.
>>
>>55194518
it's now trendy to hate optical media. I still use an optical drive, because I own dozens of CDs and DVDs. I have a lot of installation media for different operating systems laying around, having them all in different bootable USB drives would be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>55195062
My dad is a CT tech :)
>>
>>55195062
>As I lost my long term memory for quite some time after
What is it like hearing about your past?
>>
I still use my for backing up. Just got some DL discs too since they were in the clearance bin and really cheap.
>>
>>55195062
That was the real you anon. We all ghosts here.
>>
>>55182621
The years was 2014. The date was October 19th. The hour was 10 PM. I had just finished having sex with my mistress. we were both covered in sweat. Jizz laid on the cheek of my partner. We had taken racy photos of ourselves during our passionate lovemaking session. My lover wanted a copy of the photos and I copied them onto a CD-R. I labeled the CD-R with lipstick - the same lipstick I used to draw a ring around his gape. I doubt that CD-R disc is still readable today.
>>
>>55187854
>>55189310
>>55190525
>>55190820
>CD's
>DVD's

What are those CDs and DVDs in possession of?
>>
Who else still buys them or installs these in their builds just out of habit?

I haven't needed one sine 2009 yet ever build thereafter has included an optical drive.
>>
File: 1465637486198.jpg (27 KB, 414x508) Image search: [Google]
1465637486198.jpg
27 KB, 414x508
There is literally external optical drives for this VERY MARKET of people that think they are "obsolete" and don't include them in their builds.

I last used mine to rip porn DVD's since I picked up some 15,000 DVD's from a ghetto VHS store that closed down. Many of it I can't even find online versions so that's why I've been ripping.
>>
>>55193774
How in the world is it more expensive? All it requires is a 4gb USB stick, and everyone has a least one.
>>
>>55197668
This. The last time i used one practically was almost 9 years ago. But up to that point in life i'd treated them as being necessary parts of any complete build so i guess i'm married to that habit I've made sure to install one in every rig I've built ever since..... even after i'd gotten the feeling that they were starting to serve nothing more than a ceremonial purpose in my computer.
>>
Like a month or 2 ago.

A friend of mine wanted some dvds made up. Before that it was making some os disks.
>>
File: a.png (85 KB, 478x567) Image search: [Google]
a.png
85 KB, 478x567
>>55193756
just download them
>>
>>55198130
how do u protect yourself when torrenting? is a virtual machine and a proxy good enough?
>>
>>55198215
a VM won't do anything
get a vps/seedbox in a country which doesn't care and transfer completed downloads over ssh (sftp)
>>
Watched a movie last month
PC has been down for most of the subsequent month though
>>
>>55198272
ehh at 40$ a month its almost worth to just buy a shit pc and use wifi hotspots no?
>>
>>55198379
using an alternate machine won't help you
using someone else's wifi will, though
>>
>>55198379
>>55198414
Just get shit from the library and burn it.

Damn.
>>
A couple of months ago when I bought a new one because I needed to format and reinstall Windows 7.

I eventually upgraded to W10. Haven't used it since then
>>
>>55198478
Those disks are read only
>>
I burn dreamcast and sega saturn games I need my drive family.
>>
>>55198496
Right, read the disc and copy the info to your system. I did this was a bunch of shows like The Simpsons. Earlier I just sat in the library and burned 007 movies until the place closed. A lot point in life but no one cared.
>>
>>55182621
Today actually, I burnt my friends some dvds and mp3 discs for their cars. Now I'm debating to take it out and add another hdd?
>>
>>55182621
whenever I buy a new cd otherwise never
>>
November for Fallout 4
>>
File: guhn.jpg (80 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
guhn.jpg
80 KB, 960x540
>>55182621
i used the laser diode to make a laser pistol, but otherwise i havent used it much
>>
>>55193173
Are you american or something?

lmao
>>
File: Capture.png (7 KB, 267x79) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7 KB, 267x79
fight me fags
>>
>>55183003
>It's nice because we can use smaller form factor PCs when you don't need a massive 5.25" drive in place.

I wish more case manufacturers also realized this. I'm still seeing even ITX cases with fucking optical drive bays.
>>
>>55201601
Demand and supply...
>>
File: imagen.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
imagen.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
>>55201654
why don't they just take up a laptop odd bay instead
>>
>>55182621
two days ago to view a foreign movie I bought.
>>
I was watching Stargate DVD box set the other day. Other than that, I still use DVDs to backup photos, videos, or whatever. I have CD's from 15+ years ago that still access data fine. I have gone through a bunch of hard disks since then.
>>
>>55182621
Sometime during the second Bush term, I think.
>>
>>55182621
2011 I think for Battlefield 3 install disk
>>
>>55193173
kek what the fuck
>>
>>55202011
I think the problem is normies don't care about smallest size, if their full-sized ODD they already have don't fit they get mad and buy another case.
>>
Today, had to burn Ubuntu to a dvd.
>>
Couple days ago actually.

My wife uses her blu Ray drive constantly.

Anyone who buys a computer with no optical drive is a fool.
>>
>>55204115
i remember being excited about bluray... 11 years ago before they came out
by the time they got reasonably affordable, hdds got fuckhuge, and i got better internet access
i still have not ever used a bluray drive, though i did touch a bluray disc once 5 years ago

i do use cd's and dvd's sometimes for;
- the rare need to send large-ish amounts of data to people too far away to bring a usb hdd over (posting dvd-r's)
- burning games for old consoles
i haven't bought a dvd drive in a long time though, they don't break easy
>>
>>55182621
I burned a CD for my grandparents, they wanted some Christmas tunes.
>>
>>55182621
This morning, to change legacy to uefi by using win8.1 dvd. I could have used a usb disk but I already had the disk. I almost never use it though.
>>
>>55194481
>a street person
...a what?
>>
>>55182621
Last month to reinstall Halo.
>>
File: falloutcollection_full_tns.jpg (390 KB, 1500x1010) Image search: [Google]
falloutcollection_full_tns.jpg
390 KB, 1500x1010
For this.

Couple years ago.

Now its sata is on my ssd.
>>
File: 5234232.webm (189 KB, 570x322) Image search: [Google]
5234232.webm
189 KB, 570x322
>>55182621
Yesterday

Watched some Miraculous Ladybug from the Season 1 DVD
>>
Ripping a [spoiler] love live! CD [/spoiler] about a week ago.
>>
>>55182621
today, to play morrowind
>>
Like 2 months ago to rip a cd I bought.
>>
File: 1378684375479.jpg (94 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
1378684375479.jpg
94 KB, 625x469
>>55182652
kek your car has a cd player?
what bloated piece of 2000 jap car are you driving
>mfw own a suzuki alto gl s6 87'
>mfw no face
>>
File: baka_panic.gif (2 MB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
baka_panic.gif
2 MB, 350x400
Just yesterday to check a few cds I had packed away. Making sure they didn't have any porn I may of burned to them in high school. Found some good music I had lost after a hard drive failure.
>>
Burned some cds for my dream cast a few days back because I couldn't get powerstone to work with emulation and 4 players
>>
>>55182851
Or you can buy one of those USB adapters with power supply from the Chinese. I recently got one for 6€, it have ATA, SATA and the old small ATA from laptops and Molex power conector so its useful for many kind of drives
>>
>>55183245
I rip flac copies of my Japanese CDs. What about you senpai?
>>
I burn music cd's for my car still.i wonder at what point that will become hipster.
>>
>>55208476
>>55197644
>>
>>55208118
>suzuki alto gl s6 87''

mmmmm, sexy
>>
>>55208487
?
>>
>>55208538
He's linking you to a post making fun of you for using an apostrophe.
>>
>>55208550
Guess so, I did mean it as plural.
>>
>>55182621
A month ago, to install Arch.
Turned out the DvD drive was broken and thats why it crashed every time I scanned for hardware, the only option was removing it and using USB.
>>
Any of you just own an external USB Enclosure? Any disadvantages?
>>
>>55208653
I don't see what disadvantages there would be. I just use an eSATA one, going to get a drive for my laptop's dock instead though.
>>
>>55182621
I burn bootleg movies all the time still
>>
>>55185839
This.
also playing old pc games
>>
Use it once a month maybe.
Had to buy a cheap external one tho, too many drives, no SATA ports left, didn't feel like buying one of those convertors to make more sata ports.
>>
>>55208641
>DvD
>>
>>55183261
Even if you are just giving something to one person, the amount of data that 10 MP3 files would take or even FLAC files, do not justify the $6 for the cheapest flash drive in your local store, or even ordering one, when you can buy CD bundles for the same price and have DISPOSABLE media available to you for less than $0.50 a piece.
>>
>>55183742
Why?

How many times do you plan on watching Tron?
It's just a fucking movie.
>>
>>55210331
Not him but maybe he likes it, there are movies I've seen at least 20 or 30+ times
>>
>he doesn't just keep an external DVD drive for the odd chance that he needs it
>>
>>55210394
>he doesn't just keep a drive in the empty 5.25" bay he has anyway
>>
File: 1423690806509.jpg (407 KB, 1260x1782) Image search: [Google]
1423690806509.jpg
407 KB, 1260x1782
>all these hipsters who get absolutely assblasted at the idea of someone even occasionally using optical media for a thing and feeling satisfied with it
God damn it /g/, this is too much.
>>
>>55211303
hipsters don't use digital. they still buy records. they are lmore like you then you like to admit.
>>
>>55182621
A few months ago to burn a boot disk.
>>
>>55193173
It depends on what you're burning.

Making movie dvds is not against the law. Unless you're burning copyrighted material.
>>
When my gf wanted to play The Sims 3 on my computer. Before that, burn some CD's for a project.
>>
>>55182621
Last week to play the dark souls 3 ost that came with day 1 edition on ps4.
>>
To burn some images and a powerpoint to a CD, because we're not allowed to insert personal devices into government computers at work.
>>
A couple weeks ago. They work pretty well as backup for me. Every time I get more than 4GB I want to save forever I burn a DVD.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.