[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ I'm working on converting an old G5 case to atx
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: QbBxPDpYQKWDgWj1.jpg (138 KB, 800x593) Image search: [Google]
QbBxPDpYQKWDgWj1.jpg
138 KB, 800x593
Hey /g/ I'm working on converting an old G5 case to atx and I was wondering if I should go with the
Mountain Mods Modular Removable Motherboard Tray, or the
Lian-Li Replacement PC-6X Motherboard Tray.
>>
>>55181804
Buy a case that's not retarded
>>
>>55181824
/thread
>>
>>55181804
buy a mac pro instead of destroying something cool for your shitty hipster aesthetic nobody will ever care about
>>
>>55184491
>destroying something cool

Nobody cares about your shitty hipster aesthetic fruity toy brand.
>>
>>55184514
ebin
>>
>>55184514
/thread
>>
>>55181824
>>55182614
>>55184491
You all have no taste. Godspeed OP it is the best looking case ever made.
>>
>>55184491
>G5
>relevant
>>
>>55184491
>destroying something cool
to be fair if he got the liquid cooled model it probably destroyed itself long ago
>>
>>55181804
>Anything ever made by Apple

PAJEET MY SON
>>
File: 1445469159183.jpg (133 KB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1445469159183.jpg
133 KB, 3072x2304
>>55184621
>tfw i had to use one of these pieces of shit back in the day
>>
File: powermacg5v2.jpg (188 KB, 1696x1586) Image search: [Google]
powermacg5v2.jpg
188 KB, 1696x1586
>>55184608
>destroying those guts to fit a "BUT MOM I NEED THE FULL TOWER"-tier gaymer build into it is "taste"
lmao

>>55184614
>your shit opinion
>relevant

>>55184621
there was some dude who found one of those a couple weeks ago and posted it on here, it was fucking mint
>>
>>55182614
>>55184580
Hey /v/ could you do us a favor and stop trying to upvote everything, this isn't reddit thanks
>>
>>55184682
>it was fucking mint
I would think so considering they were useless and BTFO'd by air cooled Athlon XPs.
>>
>>55184682
>Gaymers use it therefore it's bad

fuck off
>>
>>55184701
XPs were old news by the time quads were shipping, you're probably thinking of the shitty entry-level single processor models in the PCI-X generation that pretty much just existed to run photoshop

>>55184710
>gaymers use it therefore it's good
dumb tripshit
>>
>>55184682
What guts? You mean the completely obsolete electronics?

Retro PCs are useful for retro games. The G5 can do nothing, and it will never be able to do anything.
>>
>>55184767
>MUHHHH GAMES
I'm posting from a G5 right now, it's absolutely fine.

Besides, if the hardware is your concern, then buy a fucking Mac Pro, their enclosures are much more expandable anyway.
>>
File: dell-dimension-4400-10w3-460.jpg (19 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
dell-dimension-4400-10w3-460.jpg
19 KB, 460x345
>>55184793
You can still surf the net on Dimension 4400. That doesn't mean it's worth keeping "for the sake of posterity."
>>
File: 1453681517205.png (133 KB, 610x1054) Image search: [Google]
1453681517205.png
133 KB, 610x1054
>>55184752
Keep chugging that koolaid.
>>
Perfect thread example as to why Millennials are a trash tier generation and will do nothing but make my coffee and suck my cock.
>>
>>55184682
there is nothing special about the G5 internals dear little goyim, the only thing worth retaining is the case.
>>
File: 20160614_224406-min.jpg (1 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160614_224406-min.jpg
1 MB, 5312x2988
Good luck OP use the laser hive
>>
>>55184850
>It's useful but it's actually NOT useful because that's stupid!
Nice.

>>55184864
I love this screencap, it seems to be all you guys can ever come up with. Even if we neglect the whole "Windows IT Pro" thing, it's basically nitpicking the shit out of standard OEM practice. Wow, they used a prototype system and a tuned compiler on hardware that wasn't even out yet? Color me surprised. What are you going to post about next, how Sun and SGI were hitler incarnate because Sun Studio and MIPSpro don't mangle your code on their hardware like GCC does?

I also love how they grasp at straws so hard trying to point out that the Pentium 4's hyperthreading was turned off, even though that was common practice, because P4 hyperthreading was so fucking shit for most tasks that it would bring your benchmarks down rather than up. The final part is just plain vague. What benchmarks? What system? A high-end Athlon XP will blow out an entry-level G5 1.6 all day long, and of course a high-end Xeon, especially L3-endowed MPs, will reign on top, they address a market segment the G5 was never intended to be used in.

>>55184994
Not really, especially compared to whatever piece of shit he's going to put in it.
>>
>>55185035
your rebuttal doesn't make any sense, it will become an ATX case and the OP can put into it whatever he wants and maintain it for perpetuity. Why should he stick to a proprietary internal layout that will become inevitably obsolete.
>>
I knew I was going to get some shit because of all the anti apple fags that live here but holy shit this is better than I expected :)
>>
>>55185035
>I can barely perform a generic function accomplished better by half a billion smartphones and PCs
>But it's APPLE! That makes it timeless!
>>
>>55185103
I'll try to give you a serious answer here:

G5s, especially the very last of them, with DDR2 memory, SATA disks, and multi-core processors, are probably the fastest affordable non-x86 hardware you can get your hands on. They have a massive software base (including currently maintained software by hobbyists) for OS X, as well as great GNU/Linux support, and they still have a ton of life in them, even some value, especially to hobbyists, collectors, even some professional media work here and there if you really want to stretch it due to the extensive array of peripherals available to you, and of course, they do look great while they do it, inside /and/ out.

They did make fucking millions of them, meaning they're a little less rare than enterprise gear like Sun/SGI RISC boxes that were tossed into landfills by the fucking pallet load, but they are starting to get harder and harder to find, and maintain too, since I doubt these guys ever bother to think of selling off the parts.

>>55185175
I think the only problem I've ever had with this thing is choppy captcha animation.
>>But it's APPLE! That makes it timeless!
Nice meme. Tell me, can /v/ discuss a brand they don't like without crying about it?
Besides, I'm not the one here who's going through such efforts just to stick a MicroATX build into an Apple case, and defending it every step of the way despite the fact that powerful x86 systems in a vastly improved version of the same case already exist and can be had quite cheaply.
>>
>>55185256
>G5s, especially the very last of them, with DDR2 memory, SATA disks, and multi-core processors, are probably the fastest affordable non-x86 hardware you can get your hands on.
Which means nothing since the software isn't relevant. No one is going to put together a 286 to just to use EDIT.COM.
You have obsolete hardware running obsolete software. No one needs to put together a G5 to have "a native QuickTime experience."

It's a case with nothing of value inside. Get over it.
>>
>>55185435
>Which means nothing since the software isn't relevant. No one is going to put together a 286 to just to use EDIT.COM.
The fuck are you even talking about? What exactly is "irrelevant" about Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, current browsers, tons of games for OS X and OS 9, a reasonably powerful Unix environment? Do they not work anymore because Windows 10 came out, or they're just not hip enough since there's a (C) 2008 in the about dialog instead of (C) 2016 despite being literally the same exact shit? Who gives a fuck?

And with such a shitty, hyper-rational attitude, why are you still attempting to justify OP's actions at all? He's spending hundreds of dollars, and wasting hours of time modding an old piece of shit nobody cares about for the sake of pure aesthetics when he could buy an infinitely more functional, useful case for a quarter of the price and effort that won't dent and scratch up like shit if he so much as looks at it wrong.
>>
>>55185571
I spent 15 dollars on case and 50 on the mobo tray which I can reuse at a later time. Did you really think I bought a shitty 13 year old apple computer for full price?
>>
>>55185571
>here, let me put together an obsolete system so I can use obsolete versions of software extra slowly!
Quick, someone find me a Pentium III so I can encode DivX on Windows ME!

His case is more useful as a flower pot than it is hosting obsolete internals. He wants to rip out the garbage to put something useful in it. Stop complaining about it.
>>
>>55185606
$65 for a hip tinfoil MicroATX case with ITX-tier expandability and a full tower footprint.

You could've done worse, but that doesn't really make it any better. You probably could have just bought a used Lian Li PC-V1000 for half of that and saved yourself a hackjob.

>>55185637
>maybe if I take what he said and twist it around enough to look REALLY stupid I'll win!
I bet you're one of those dumbshits who blogs about their boot times in SSD shill threads, you're trying so hard at this point it's not even funny.
>>
The Apple cult is real.

OP, offer the thing to this fool for $1000. After all this preaching he has no choice but to shell out.
>>
>>55185757
>better start meming!!!
lmao
>>
>>55185256
Yeah, I love the Powermac G5 look but I wouldn't gut a working G5 to get a case. I'd try to find a hopelessly fucked G5 or even a first-gen Mac Pro instead, because really, who gives two fucks about hardware as common and uninteresting as C2D-era Xeons?
>>
>>55185795
They're better cases too, four disk bays, dual ODD bays that you can always repurpose for something else if you're one of those types that gets triggered by optical media, and much better PSU mounting prospects than the G5's retarded nigger rigged Xserve PSU.

Hell, if you don't give a shit about having the latest GPU, you could probably still get a lot of mileage out of a maxed-out Westmere config.
>>
>>55185876
>Hell, if you don't give a shit about having the latest GPU, you could probably still get a lot of mileage out of a maxed-out Westmere config.
yeah, it's definitely still usable but the power bill would be "fun"
>>
>>55181824
/thread
>>
>>55185930
For sure, though at least Westmere should have some more competent power management than older chips to make it not overly extravagant.
>>
>>55184514
this desu senpai
>>
>>55185876
Steve Jobs said it's worth $1999, so I'll offer it to you for the same price.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.