[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
More significantly than specs, though, is the fact that the TaihuLight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif (584 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif
584 KB, 320x213
More significantly than specs, though, is the fact that the TaihuLight is built from Chinese semiconductors. "It’s not based on an existing architecture. They built it themselves," Jack Dongarra, a professor at the University of Tennessee and creator of the measurement system used to rank the world's supercomputers, told Bloomberg. "This is a system that has Chinese processors."

The previous fastest supercomputer, China's Tianhe-2, was built using US-made Intel processors. There were plans to upgrade the Tianhe-2, but last year, the US government placed an export ban on all high-performance computing chips to China. The US Department of Commerce said that exporting such technology was "acting contrary" to American national security, and suggested that an earlier Chinese supercomputer, the Tianhe-1A, had been "used in nuclear explosive activities."

China's investment in high-performance chips and supercomputers in recent years has been significant and effective. In 2001, there were no Chinese supercomputers in the world's top 500 ranking at all. Now, there are 167 entries — more than even the US, which has 165. The development of the TaihuLight was funded under the so-called "863 program," a government project aimed at ending reliance on foreign technology.

>fucking step up, so called superpower.
>>
File: 1466370556760.png (95 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1466370556760.png
95 KB, 600x300
>doesn't run gentoo
>>
>>55180835
Banged out none the less!
>>
>>55180822
samefag

>America bans hardware sales to jolt enemy
>Enemy just builds better hardware

Lel
>>
>Sell cheap shit made of pig iron and junk aluminum
>Save the good metal and anything that might actually pass quality control for yourself
>Throw it all in a computer
>>
>>55180822
samefag

>"and slipping from page 1 to 7 is a hot topic the Demography of /g/ would rather ignore and stick to discussing the next generation of Graphics card.

I won't bother in future.
>>
>>55181267

and still out preformed your best
>>
>>55180822
ShenWei processors based off of Alpha, not to be confused with Loongson's processors which are based off of MIPS, or Elbrus processors which are based off of SPARC.
>>
>>55181267
Sorry busy doing other stuff, re-read:

>China is to fault for us being second fiddle to China. Pesky Chinese!

Dude really?
>>
>>55181382
That's fucking Hot.

>Take me were we are Stanley, i don't care about anyone coming into the Server room just fuck me NOW!!! you make me so fucking W-E-T with your dirty talk, you filthy fucking CUNT!
>>
>>55180822
>Ameritarded government decides to "stop China"
>bans Xeon processor export to China
>China decides to develop their own processor
>it's better than a Xeon, 256 cores and more efficient
T-the Chinese can only imitate...
>>
>>55181622
It's relatively easy to throw anything together when you can just dump government money into a project and use long standing IP which has had most of the work done for you already.

If I had a hundred million dollars to waste I too could come up with a semi decent 256 core processor based on whatever I choose. Now if it all was entirely designed, built, and programmed from scratch I might be impressed.
>>
>>55182509

My feelings exactly. This is like when everyone raved about how the Indians were sending a probe to Mars for less than the cost of the film (about Mars, but I've forgotten the name).
What new technology did the Indians bring to the party? What did they do that a well funded kickstarter project would not have been able to equal?
>>
>>55184507
designated shitting probes
>>
>>55181622
The thing is they would have imitated most of it. They've expanded on existing hardware and would have been given a massive budget to do it. They wouldn't have built it from scratch.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.