[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long does it take to become an expert in python? How useful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: python-009.jpg (33 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
python-009.jpg
33 KB, 630x354
How long does it take to become an expert in python?

How useful is python?
>>
PROS
>VERY easy to learn compared to Java, C, etc
>high level (just import shit you need)
>indentation instead of curly brackets
>interpreted (no wasted time with compilations)
>can do MATLAB-level scientific stuff (I use it for my work)
>rich online community of non-autistic users

CONS
>can get slow with big-time computations
>annoying split between version 2 and 3

as I said, I use it for scientific work
I usually use it as a high-level language
and then use Cython or whatever for those hour long computations
>>
>>55179929
>>indentation instead of curly brackets
>> PROS

no.
>>
Gui's r fucking retarded.
>>
Python is, in many ways, BASIC for the 21st century.
>>
>How long does it take to become an expert in python?
Half an hour if you already know a real language.
>How useful is python?
Not at all.
>>
>>55180892
Ignore this troll
>>
>>55179891
10.000 hours to be an expert at anything.
>>
learn python.
1 year later create an app.
sell for billions.
>>
>>55180870
You can get pretty good salary for writing in 21st centry basic in google.
>>
Elixir is better.
>>
I've been keeping snakes for years, and some types of pythons are a good choice for beginners. If you're new to snakes you might look into getting a ball python. You can get them for about $30 and up, and they don't grow too big - about 5 feet long for females and shorter for males. They're safe, relatively easy to care for, and non-venomous.

Just don't do something dumb like get an African rock python. Huge snakes should NOT be kept by beginners.
>>
>>55179929
If you're here, can you tell me if Cython is unsafe or not?
>>
>How long does it take to become an expert in python?
let's say a year
>How useful is python?
quite
>>
See, the thing is not so much in mastery of the language (which is relevant of course, but python is so plain in itself that there's not much to learn about the language itself), but in mastering programming concepts.
Modularity, clean code, good patterns, reusabilty, granularity, algorithms, datastructures.
Python has the advantage that you learn it in a day and there are few surprises and few language-specific features to leverage.
Opposed to this, consider nearly every other major language. C has pointers, malloc() and free(); Ruby is heavily OOP, smalltalk style, and also has metaprogramming facilities. Lisp has macros. Haskell has monads. Perl has shortcuts for nearly everything...
That's why I say python is plain: it doesn't have (afaik) any feats, any unique features beyond the most basic semantics implementing the major programming paradigms in use: OOP, functional, procedural
>>
>>55179891
>expert in python
That's as useful as being a toothbrush expert.
>>
Pythons are such kawaii animals
>>
>>55179977
this
>>
>>55179891
A good programmer will be more effective after 15 minutes of "studying" Python when compared to a poor programmer who spends an entire year studying Python.

Learn to be a good programmer first. The fact that you have to ask this question shows us that you are not a good programmer.
>>
Not sure if that's a dark pastel or a bright normal, but that ball is a cutie.
>>
My python :^)
>>
>>55184505
I hope you get it a bigger viv soon anon.

I'm gonna have to upgrade soon for my boa.
>>
>>55179977
>real men don't indent their code properly
>>
>>55184469
>Learn to be a good programmer first

How does one do that? Read Intro to Algorithms?
>>
>>55179929
What's an example of an hour-long computation that you would do?
>>
>>55184818
Control Structures
Data Structures
Design Patterns
Algorithms

Then write code every day for a few years. Preferably for a project you are passionate about.
>>
>>55184839
you are a tool
>>
>>55182213
Kek
>>
>>55185227
No he's right. Just have a few projects happening throughout your free time and you'll learn stuff. Also working with others can give you:
- information on how stuff is done
and more likely:
- information on how stuff ISN'T done
>>
>>55185553
no fuck you and the horse you rode in on
>>
>>55184839
Recommended books for each of these topics?
>>
>>55179977
>he doesn't indent his shit properly
kys

>>55179929
>can get slow with big-time computations
understatement of the year. Takes 3-4 times longer than proper languages. Much better and simpler syntax though
>>
Good job mr snake
>>
>>55181429
hi brian
>>
>>55179929
This sums it up nicely. All around it is a great language and it should take anywhere from 6 months to a year to "master".
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.