[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Continuing from... >>55160554 Sorry I fell asleep after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 8
File: abandoned12.jpg (281 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned12.jpg
281 KB, 1200x800
Continuing from...

>>55160554

Sorry I fell asleep after the last post I made. I saw someone make a comment about using an iPhone. The pics were actually a mix of iPhone 6, Sony RX-100II, and 6D pics depending on what I had with me at the time.

Here's a view of some of the remaining upper level equipment. Back when they decommissioned this radar policies were a bit different. They would pull everything that is usable and then abandon in place anything that was unneeded. It then just generally becomes a free for all. It also helps that you can't exactly truck off scrap where we are so the site has remained mostly intact.
>>
File: abandoned13.jpg (243 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned13.jpg
243 KB, 1200x800
Basically things are literally just as they left it after decommissioning. All sorts of bolts all over the place....you can see how they tossed things to the side and they never have been touched since.
>>
File: abandoned14.jpg (244 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned14.jpg
244 KB, 1200x800
Again from the lower level. There were giant klystron tubes and their associated gear to the right and I believe a ton of capacitors to the left. The caps were known to occasionally explode :)
>>
File: abandoned17.jpg (299 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned17.jpg
299 KB, 1200x800
A bunch of gear oil drooled down some columns I believe from when they ripped the old dish down. Looks freaky in person.
>>
>>55178193
fantastic threads
Thank you for sharing
>>
File: abandoned18.jpg (255 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned18.jpg
255 KB, 1200x800
a few more pics. This is the same main entry corridor in my building but tons of changes to it. Lots of support equipment, extra doors, etc. Oh and it doesn't look like its been abandoned 30 years.
>>
File: abandoned19.jpg (305 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned19.jpg
305 KB, 1200x800
An earlier view of the doors without the snow and before dark season. The crates are empty sadly. I was hoping for cool things too.
>>
>>55178193
This is awesome OP, what kind of work do you do down there?
>>
File: abandoned20.jpg (298 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned20.jpg
298 KB, 1200x800
>>55180597
I'm a radar operator.

Fun side note. There are interesting differences between mu building and the abandoned 2 (one of which has since bene torn down). In 4003 the tunnel intersected at the rear of the building. In mine, it intersected at the 3/4 point roughly. This was because by building once housed all of the computers used to decipher the inputs. These spaces were then converted into usable staff space when they built the new phased array radar on top of it in the 80s. What once was 2 floors of mainframes and support equipment became a room of servers and the like.
>>
File: 12SWS.jpg (1 MB, 2736x1824) Image search: [Google]
12SWS.jpg
1 MB, 2736x1824
>>55180776
Apologies on the typos. Didn't check for errors.

In all honesty it is amazing to stand in the presence of history. BMEWS has stood guard since 1961 and even with the upgrades we do the same job regardless of the tech. Terms and tech have changed but even today we do the same job as our predecessors. It's hard to put in words the respect I have for those before us.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.