[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tablets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: Manga-Mango on tablet.jpg (786 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Manga-Mango on tablet.jpg
786 KB, 2560x1440
Are tablets really that useless? Most of them are way too expensive and I can't even fathom why people pay so much for those glorified huge smartphones that aren't even phones. That being said, reading manga and comics on it is very comfy with the added bonus of some novels being nice despite it not being glorious eink. On that note, which tablets are affordable and not shit? Some like Cube, Teclast, and Chuwi make good Chinese tablets and I remember the Nook HD+ with CM being really good. Bigger than 9 american centimeters is a must, 7 american centimeters is nice, but not that big for mango.
>>
>>55177843
I use tablets almost everyday atm, theyre currently helping me get rid of my flu
>>
I only use tablets to read manga and fap to crossdressing doujinshi, but they're great for what they are.
A passive display for reading books.
>>
>>55177869
Must be comfy. I just have a TV on the bed with wireless keyboard and a horde of pillows, it's max comfy when I don't want to even move.
>>
I have a Linx 7 (basically a Nexus 7 running full Windows), it's very useful for travelling when I have to shuffle files from video cameras to backup hard drives because Android stuggles with exFAT and, AFAIK, doesn't have a file copy utility that lets you dump files to two drives simultaneously while verifying both transfers.
>>
i've been looking into buying one but can't justify the cost

i'd like something better than my craptop for reading educational pdfs

e-ink is the right price, but needing to convert from pdf to the formats they better support seems to resize the text and break all the graphic tables, in addition to not being able to use the hyperlinks

"real" tablets, in order to get one with a quality screen that you can read from any angle, seems to defeat the point of frugally self educating, since i could probably buy over 30000 physical pages worth of real books for the cost of the tablet
>>
>>55177947
I've been getting into cough syrup a bit more though, tablets don't really provide that instant relief
>>
>>55177968
>i'd like something better than my craptop for reading educational pdfs

On the move or at home? Sometimes, I have to have up to 5 documents open as well as the one I'm working on (I could switch but it's faster to have them all to hand) and I've found that a nice 28" 4K IPS display is absolutely excellent for this purpose.
>>
>>55177968
Chinese tablets are usually cheap and carry rejected retina panels.They're good enough and don't break the bank. You'll also be able to carry more than 30000 books on one device.
>>
Got a cube i7 stylus a while back, it's a bit over kill for just a tablet, but the passive cooling and coreM are actualy quite good once modded.

Still waiting for something running windows, 8inch oled and decent battery life., but I can wait a while longer.
>>
I wouldn't call my Nook HD+ "really good." It's hanging in there and the screen is gorgeous, but it's always been on the slow side. It's budget and acts like it.

It also taught me the lesson that you can't get ahead by asking "what use is this tablet?" You have to start with a use and ask "can a tablet do this?" If you don't know what you're aiming to do ahead of time and have actually tested that use case, you're almost guaranteed to find the damn thing useless.

For what it's worth I ended up getting a second one specifically for use in the car. I put tons of hours into those tablets but only because I knew going in exactly what I'd do on them. The Nook was meant for reading PDFs and watching movies/TV on the go. The car tablet was meant for media, GPS and keeping an eye on vehicle performance.
>>
>>55178019
the mobility of the laptop has proven extremely useful for messing with network equipment i'm not smart enough to operate in the basement, or reading while pedaling away on an exercise bike

my 27" desktop display crapped out last year and i've been using a tv for a desktop ever since
obviously harder to read on this thing but the comfort level of getting away from office chair sitting all day would be hard to trade

>>55178036
30000 books isn't something that concerned me as much as the reading experience
actual paper can be handy sometimes, thought digital usually has the bigger advantages
i've seen cheap tablets my parents have bought off tv shopping channels and definitely wouldn't be willing to have those 15 degree viewing angles on something i'm trying to read, but if there's some cheapo chinaman tablets with acceptable panels out there nowadays, maybe it's something i should be looking into
thanks for the heads up
>>
>>55177843
I was thinking of tablet for manga and other media and the pixel C looks really nice
>>
>>55178316
I meant it as far as pricing goes. The tablet itself is a little laggy at times, but it's good enough for reading.
>>
>>55178036
Do I need to deal with vpn to torrent all those books?
>>
>>55178602
Depend in what country do you live
>>
>>55178725
Muriga
>>
>>55178743
Get a vpn, or just DDL. I don't know if Encryption of torrent or Private trackers will make your situation better.
>>
>>55177843
I use a 13 inch Lelnovo tablet for reading manga and browsing 4chan. It's great - no zoom needed. Tablets aren't exactly things that need to be replaced, at least not for a long time.
>>
File: Teclast x98.jpg (452 KB, 2880x1620) Image search: [Google]
Teclast x98.jpg
452 KB, 2880x1620
>>55180427
>13 inch
Jesus fuck. Is that even comfy? 10 inches is the sweetspot to be quite honest familia.
>>
What's the recommended size if I'm going to use one for nothing besides reading manga and books?
>>
File: Nook HD+ and Mango comparison v2.jpg (410 KB, 1371x1038) Image search: [Google]
Nook HD+ and Mango comparison v2.jpg
410 KB, 1371x1038
>>55180754
>reading manga
At least 9 inches.
>>
File: 1463930235551.jpg (39 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1463930235551.jpg
39 KB, 500x442
>tfw you have an original ipad and you can't even download manga reader apps anymore.
>>
>>55177843
I had a Galaxy Nexus 7(Gen1) then upgraded to a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7"
I use it almost every day to read books, browse email and read comics
>>
>>55180997
Wait you can't?

I lucked out by getting an ipad 2 then all these years back.
>>
>>55180903
>implying the DPI isn't far more important

>>55180754
Kobo Aura HD.
>>
What is the usual processor speed needed for tablets?

How do I know if one is too slow from the get go?
>>
Somebody gave me an iPad 2. Great 4chan machine, kinda. Can't view them .webm. I like how I can shitpost from anywhere now with it. If I'm lying in bed I can't grab it and browse in an instant without even getting up. It's OK for reading books too I guess.
>>
>>55180997
IKTF, though afaik, if you have a mac(tm) you can download the latest version of every old app.
>>
>>55180997

>tfw apple says it wont release IOS 10 for Ipad 2

i feel death coming

wait, cant i just jailbreak and download shit?
>>
>>55180754
Don't even bother, dpi on tablets is shit, only plebs read manga on tablets. All the gray tones get crushed cause of the low resolution and you end up with no gray patterns.
>>
>>55181928
>dpi on tablets is shit
>what is the Kobo Aura HD
>>
>>55182228
an e-reader not a tablet
>>
>>55181779
Ipad2 is already slow as molasses on ios 9. I regretted upgrading from Ios 7.
>>
File: weebo.jpg (53 KB, 960x547) Image search: [Google]
weebo.jpg
53 KB, 960x547
>>55177843
I bought this Samsung galaxy 10.1 inch tablet a couple of years ago refurbished with a 32 GB microSD card. At 2560 x 1600, the viewing quality is pretty high, and it's pretty handy to keep music, ebooks, manga, and anime all in the same place.
>>
>>55178000
Shit meme 2/10
>>
>>55177869
I use tablets to "get it up". Hopefully my wife will stop "turning to" other men soon!
>>
>>55177843
>Are tablets really that useless?

Back when I used to take the train to work... I would put manga on my tablet and read em on my hour trainride to work. It has it's uses.

Nowadays I drive to work so no time reading manga, but at least I get home much faster these days.
>>
>>55182380
only problem is it's a fat and heavy piece of shit
>>
>>55182948
Really? It feels pretty light to me, at least compared to my surface pro.
>>
File: flipadmini.jpg (44 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
flipadmini.jpg
44 KB, 770x433
>ipad mini since release (work gift) and never jailbroke it
>mostly for casual stuff like youtube and spotify
>ios 9 but no nightmode support and wont get ios10

Might as well start jailbreaking it. I've been out of the game for a while but any cool things to do with jailbroken apple devices now?
>>
>>55182982
nevermind that
I was thinking of the first 10.1 tab inside a really fat case
>>
>>55183039
Does the shit screen bother you?
>>
I sure wish others would hop on the OLED train. It'd be nice for mango and darker than black backgrounds.
The Cube i6 is pretty nice, I got it last year for around $150 or so. Shame on them for giving out a shit tier power adapter though, it's garbage.
>>
>>55183413
nah, i mostly use it at night with low brightness.
Its no OLED but its been a great tablet for years
>>
>>55181058

>can't view webm

Have you considered jailbreaking it and installing Fortune?

>>55181928

Hahaha, no. DPI on tablets is fucking stellar. If you're smart and use an iPad, that is.
>>
>>55183766
>If you're smart and use an iPad, that is.
I would just grab a retina panel reject for a much lower price. Most of those tablets are less than $200 and run dual OS.
>>
>>55183851

I considered that before I bought my iPad, actually. I eventually decided that it wasn't worth the risk, buying a reject product from a sketchy overseas vendor with low odds of warranty service. And Windows on a tablet is worthless.
>>
>>55177843
How is the translation on Mushishi?
>>
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T713NZKEXAR?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000427
Welp.
>>
>>55180696
I find it to be quite comfy, but I'm a little rough around the edges. I have the Yoga Tablet Pro 2 - its little brother and successor is the 10 in Pro 3.
>>
File: 0620160106.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0620160106.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>55177843
Get the amazon subsidized fire ones. Super cheap, rootable, and surprisingly powerfull.
>>
>>55183413

No iPad has ever had a shit screen. My iPad 1 is still amazing. I only use it on my iCade though.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.