[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who's still running on Nehalem and with some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: LD0003360000_2.jpg (152 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
LD0003360000_2.jpg
152 KB, 1500x1500
As someone who's still running on Nehalem and with some sub-par R9 2xx gpu, would you say it's a good choice to upgrade right now?

This skylake stuff makes me wet, as well as the M.2 SSDs even though for some reason the DDR4 latency seems pretty abysmal.

Question is, is it wise to update that stuff between now and christmas or am I too soon for some game-changing tech in the pipes coming out soon?
>>
>>55177288
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency
>>
>>55177288
Skylake stuff will be relaced by Kaby Lake soon

Z170 into z270, Wait till Christmas, then judge.
>>
>>55177611
Also fuck off.

<3
>>
File: c3-speed-vs-latency-table.png (207 KB, 1200x575) Image search: [Google]
c3-speed-vs-latency-table.png
207 KB, 1200x575
>>55177288
Ram access is designed to hide latencies and most of the time Mhz is more important.
Also, you realize the latencies stated on a ram is not absolute and is related to the Mhz?
>>
>>55177611
aw shit a whole new chipset??

might take this advice and wait.
>>
>>55177696
the only thing I realized is my current ddr3 has much better numbers but I hadn't researched it since I don't have a choice anyways.
>>
>>55177718
DDR4 speed has not completely matured anyway and they're slowing making faster ddr4 ram so it's better to wait.
>>
Do you really want to give a company money for changing sockets every time they fart for the sole purpose of making you spend money?

If you don't plan on running something that makes heavy use of AVX skymeme isn't much of an upgrade. As for super fast ssds do you really stand to benefit from any speeds that sata can't handle? I mean if you're regularly dealing dealing with 50GB data sets then yeah get one.
>>
>>55177814
>still running nehalem
>this was like 8 years ago

please anon
>>
>>55177913
>tick tock gotta get the newest socket goy
>>
>>55177952
you've convinced me
>>
>>55177288
Wait for Zen. Shintel will always be jewish with PCIE Lanes and cores.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.