[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell does windows explorer never remember this setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: datemodfd.png (43 KB, 366x459) Image search: [Google]
datemodfd.png
43 KB, 366x459
Why the hell does windows explorer never remember this setting after each power down? I have to either sleep the PC instead of powering off or keep re-adding it in options if I want to sort my folders by date modified again.

What the fuck is this shit?
>>
Are you running some kind of "cleaner" which is wiping your registry changes?
>>
>>55175973
Not to my awareness no
>>
do a registry dump
switch that setting on
do a registry dump again
diff them
>>
>>55176189
I'll try that then
>>
>>55176353
did you find anything?
>>
>>55177154
no I'm way over my head messing with the registry like this, I dont know what I'm doing I'll just deal with the mild annoyance of this shit resetting, I think others have this problem too with windows vista and 7 so maybe its just a win 7 bug that microsoft never patched
>>
>>55177261
reg export

change it
reg export

diff 1 2

I don't know how to diff on Windows but on linux you
diff
>>
>>55177311
Unfortunately there is no took built into Windows for Diff'ing. You can use a tool like Winmerge or BeyondCompare to do it though.
>>
>>55177485
Can't you just type "bash" into Powershell to get a Linux-like enbironment?
Doesn't that include the GNU diff?
>>
>>55177311

So I exported the entire registry into txt and am trying to find the diff with https://www.diffchecker.com/, but each text file is almost 600MB so its gonna takeawhile
>>
>>55177541
and it finally loaded in notepad but its too big to paste on the website, nothing happens

Does it have to be the entire registry thats exported? Not just one folder or something
>>
>>55177541
why
stop
what the fuck
Windows users

GNU diff!
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm
>>
File: 12445345436345645646.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
12445345436345645646.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
>>55177587
fuck it I give up, whatever, its not that big a deal, I thought maybe there was a simple fix for it but there isnt, just ignore the thread thanks.
>>
Windows explorer needs a revamp
>>
>>55177640
YES
>>
what the actual fuck

WINDOWS USERS CAN'T EXECUTE THREE COMMANDS IN A FUCKING HOUR
>>
>>55177643
>>55177640

It blows my mind that Explorer still has no tabs whatsoever. I I use kubuntu now, and dolphin's split feature is so great.
>>
>>55175936
>>55177628
I've been using win7 like this for years now, the right click, scroll down three times and chose date modified has become utterly ingrained by now. Shit sucks but hey at least everything else works great with this OS
>>
>>55177909
look as next windows user fails to run 3 commands
>>
>>55177520
You could if you're on Windows 10 and have the Insider Preview needed to get Bash. Unless they moved it out of insider preview, which I haven't really paid attention to.
>>
>>55178767
So, you can if you update tour system and turn a flag on? That practically means you can.
>>
>>55178806
You could. But that also means opening yourself up to fun bugs like the one they had a few builds ago where any file operation such as copy, delete, etc, didn't popup the progress bar anymore. Or an even buggier start menu.

I mean, I'm running an Insider Preview, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it to normal users just to get Bash.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.