[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC build advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Dear /g/.

Can I ask you for a little help with planning my new PC?

In before - yes, I know about Logicalncrements. In fact, I was using it as reference, but Im still not sure about mixing items from different tiers. And thats why I made this thread. I tried asking at /guts/ before, but didnt got reply.

I plan to buy new PC around mid July or something around. I already decided about CPU (i7-6700K) and GPU (RX480), but Im still not sure about other elements.

In advance - I dont want to OC. At least not manually.

1) Mobos with chipset Z170 are usually recommended, but Im too "green" to see a difference between, say, Asus Z170-A, -P, -K, -M-Plus, MSI Z170A Pro or ASRock Z170 Pro 4S. And they have important difference in prices. I was actually thinking about Gigabyte GA-170 HD3P, but again - I would need somebody to help me decide.

Another important thing is that I noticed some sort of "Auto Tune" function in Asus mobos. I think that Gigabyte have something similar too ("Quick Boost" or something like that). Does this functions really work? Are they really safe?

2) How powerful PSU I actually need? extreme.outervision.com said I would need 620W PSU, but I, again, see differences in prices between same brand and same output. Corsair CX650M looks nice, but, for example, in what aspects Corsair VS 650W ATX is worse, since it have lower price?

3) What kind of CPU cooling I need, since i7 is provided without stock one? When I asked recently (outside of /g/) if 212 Evo (recommended by LogicalIncrements) or Cryorig M9I are good, I got told that they are not good enough. Next suggested position, NH-U12S, cost twice as much. What cooling I would need, if I dont intend to OC or at lest, I would only use "automatic" ones provided by motherboard manufacturer?

(cont in next post)
>>
4) What case should I look for? I was thinking about Thermaltake V3, but again, got told that it is "too light-weight" (they probably assume that it is made out of poor quality materials). I just want mid-tower that would fit three HDDs and basic components and would not cover in dust within week or two (problem existing with my current case).

Overall, I have around 850 EUR for whole PC, except of HDDs and optical drive that comes from previous PC.

Thank you for any advice or help.
>>
Anybody?
>>
>>55175641
>use pcpartpicker then pick psu 150 watts above that atleast is good, don't want it running on max 24/7 and good warranty (5+ years)
>asus or asrock are good mobos, msi can be iffy
>auto oc will give you lower results then manual as it has a safty margin, don't know too much about it though
>212 evo is okay commonly used aftermarket cooler but make sure case can fit it as aftermarket air cooling is fuck all huge
>most cases above 60$ should be good
what are you using it for? OS?
>>
>>55175641
>>55175662
i didn't read these posts
>>
>>55177690

>msi can be iffy

Could you explain further? And what about Gigabyte?

>auto oc will give you lower results then manual as it has a safty margin

Still better than nothing, all I care if this is safe solution. I dont want to risk manual OC, since Im totally unexperienced with those things.

>>212 evo is okay commonly used aftermarket cooler but make sure case can fit it as aftermarket air cooling is fuck all huge

Cryrig M9I seems to be smaller than the rest. Most of what I was recommended, outside /g/ and Logical Increments, was huge as hell (like, two radiators + fan on the top).

>most cases above 60$ should be good

Im actually concern about air flow and such, thats all. I dont really want any fancy "gamer" case for 100-150$, if 50$ one can do well enough.
>>
>>55177764
did u come here for advice or to write essays holy h*ck nerd
>>
>>55177764
>>55177690

Oh and as for usage - while so far, the most demanding soft I was using was games (uni stuff, like programming or lab data stuff, was not very "heavy"), this time I might also run more CPU demanding soft, made at my faculty, for simulations (I kinda started to experiment with data fitting using genetic algorithms, but that might just be temporary fun).

As for OS, right now Im using Windows 7, but I will probably have to install either 10 Edu or 8.1 to dual boot with 7 on new PC. I had partition for Mint as some sort of experiment but it ended like that - just as experiment that I stopped using after some time.
>>
>>55177764
>Could you explain further? And what about Gigabyte?
just get a asus or asrock, they are considered the top two brands you could get quality wise, I hear alot about msi boards failing or being doa compared to others.
>Still better than nothing, all I care if this is safe solution. I dont want to risk manual OC, since Im totally unexperienced with those things.
they tend to have built in safety margins, they just up the clock speed among other things until the computer crashs, then it lowers it a chink and starts going higher again to determine the final speed, your really going to want to do some research yourself on this, oc does void warranty. Also do you really need a 6700k? it's pretty overkill and you seem a bit inexperienced.
>Im actually concern about air flow and such
it does not matter too much as most cases will have enough airflow, I have one of the more expensive cases and it does not really make a difference besides looking faggy and having cable management features. corsair cases are pretty good for minimalist looks and have decent enough airflow
>>55177831
win 7 loses support for skylake cpus(6700k) in 2017, win 10 has major privacy issues far more then 7 ever had, keyloggers,ect. You could go with a older cpu like a 4790k to get around that and you wouldn't notice much a difference in performance. If you are just playing games you should get a i5 instead to save money to put somewhere else, i7s do not benefit games at all for the most part as they do not make use of all the cores, i7s are mostly for heavy data processing or the cores could be useful for vms.
>>
>>55178179

>just get a asus or asrock, they are considered the top two brands you could get quality wise, I hear alot about msi boards failing or being doa compared to others.

It is just that, at first sight, this Gigabyte mobo (GA-170 HD3P) looks like pretty much as good as Asus Z170-A, and cost less. The only experience I had so far with mobos was that my previous two PCs used Gigabyte mobos (last one was P55M-UD2) and I dont recall any problems. So this bugged me.

If you say that ASRock is good too, then fine.

>oc does void warranty

Even this automatic one? I dont expect something like 5 Ghz, of course, more like 0,2 more.

> Also do you really need a 6700k? it's pretty overkill and you seem a bit inexperienced.

Truth to be told, I always try to get better CPU than needed. I did it last time with i5-750 (my current CPU) and it served me well for nearly 6 years. I kinda expect that this i7 would serve me at least 4.

>win 7 loses support for skylake cpus(6700k) in 2017

How exactly? Its not like they will refuse to work properly...

>win 10 has major privacy issues far more then 7 ever had, keyloggers,ect.

I was checking that since some time and after reading various articles or checking different sources, including MS own official articles, I think I can avoid much of those. I dont see use for OneDrive (I hate idea of cloud storages anyway), Skype (have better alternatives after all) or Edge.

I dont really want to turn this thread into another "Win10 war" thread. But Im still investigating (lately, since new PCs at uni came with Win 10, I can test it first-hand).

Thanks for your replies, by the way.
>>
>>55178493
holy h*ck lad do u really expect any 1 to read all this
>>
I'm kind of bummed out how so many cases are neglecting external 5 1/2 drives.

I think I've settled on the Air 540 as it meets my requirements, just need to measuring things out and see how it will fit on my desk.

My build so far
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wxdK8K

I already have in my possesion a 6700K
and a 500GB samsung SSD on the way.
Everything else is subject to change.
>>
>>55178493
>looks like pretty much as good as Asus Z170-A, and cost less
it costs more due to using higher quality parts, I can recommend asus from personnel experience of them being good, I've had a am3+ board and a x99 board from them with both being solid boards. asus and asrock are both solid choices in general.
>Even this automatic one?
any oc voids warranty, it's pretty unlikely a automatic oc would break anything since the safety margins along with it making the company handing it out look like shit which would hurt sales.
>I always try to get better CPU than needed.
cpu tech has stagnated so i5 or i7 will still be good and usable after 5-10 years unless they figure something out, the i7s just have hyperthreading for programs that use multi able cores such as heavy data processing type stuff and they usually have a couple more cores then a i5, none of that matters if your playing games at this point.
>How exactly? Its not like they will refuse to work properly...
it's security shit, they are dropping support for it to encourage people to upgrade to 10
>I was checking that since some time
win 10 is botnet and there is no way to turn it off as of now, the reason they are giving it out for free is because they are selling your data for profit, I'm just going to stick with win7/linux for now.
>>
I was Asus fanboy for several years, then tried Gigabyte. I love Gigabyte and I'm not going back to Asus.

I have a GA-x99p SLI & have a Plex server on it. This thing has no problem pushing out requests, ever!
>>
>>55178820

>it's security shit

Should I worry?

>cpu tech has stagnated so i5 or i7 will still be good and usable after 5-10 years

Thats actually good from my perspective, CPU is hardest to replace component (usually require new motherboard).

> the reason they are giving it out for free is because they are selling your data for profit

Actually, in my case they are giving me for free, since Im university student, just as they did with previous systems. Edu is just fancy named Enterprise, where even MS openly instruct how to disable data flowing. Most of Home or Pro users wont even read that, tho.

But I get your point.
>>
>>55179154
>Should I worry?
I guess it's possible someone could find a way to exploit it, I'm paranoid enough that I went haswell-e instead of skylake
>Thats actually good from my perspective
me too, I have a 5820k and the x99 boards are at rape prices right now compared to others.
>Actually, in my case they are giving me for free
they gave it free to anyone with 7, a free product from a corporate entity usually can't be out of the kindness of their hearts.
>where even MS openly instruct how to disable data flowing.
I wouldn't trust them, wouldn't be surprised if it had a built in backdoor for the nsa
>>
>>55179308

>they gave it free to anyone with 7, a free product from a corporate entity usually can't be out of the kindness of their hearts

That would be Home/Pro, Edu/Enterprise are not upgrade options. Edu is provided only to universities and yeah, its not kindness of heart (although DreamSpark as a whole was Bill idea), rather both actions for public ("we suport students!") and business ones (basically free product samples, hoping that those students will get used to product and brand - kinda like how kids at school mostly use Windows instead of various Linux distros).

But we get away from topic.

Thanks for all the advices, I have better view on the case right now. While it is still around two or three weeks before buying, I just wanted to prepare beforehand. Thanks again.
>>
>>55178179
>Win 7 loses support for Skylake in 2017
CITE
YOUR
SOURCES
>>
>>55179455
search for "Win 7 loses support for Skylake in 2017" and you will get dozens of articles on the topic
it's 2018 now, they announced the 2017 date in January of this year and they extended it to 2018 in march which I just found out.
>>55179442
one last thing, enter all the parts into pcpartpicker as that can help catch incompatibilitys and determine wattage for the psu
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.