[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chattanooga mayor: Gigabit speed internet helped revive city
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: chattanooga.png (19 KB, 226x160) Image search: [Google]
chattanooga.png
19 KB, 226x160
http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/06/14/chattanooga-mayor-gigabit-speed-internet-helped-revive-city/85843196/

>shit city
>install municipal fiber
>every tech worker in the region moves to city to bittorrent at gigabit speed
>housing price rebounds
>retail rebounds
>tech businesses move their offices there since a large chunk of their employees now live there

Why aren't more cities installing municipal fiber?

Do they care about Comcast lobbyist bucks more than actually improving their cities?
>>
>>55174015
Jewgle Fiber is moving into my city, and should definitely be encouraging business and the aforementioned. It's already a huge banking center of the South and wagecuck landscapers are digging up the neighborhood, will be nice to have those kind of speeds, plus time warner has to compete so I now pay 80 bucks for 29 megabytes/ps
>>
>>55174015
>>Do they care about Comcast lobbyist bucks more than actually improving their cities?
most politicians do, yes. Their first priority is always getting re-elected, because nobody who doesn't get off on power goes into politics. Their second priority is always making money.

really nobody who is ambitious enough to be a politician should be trusted with political power. not that I have any idea how you'd set that system up.
>>
>>55174157
>Their first priority is always getting re-elected,

But, wouldn't they get re-elected if they shill their municipal fiber initiative hard to the voters?
>>
>>55174163
to shill anything to voters you need to buy expensive TV ads, send junk mail, and pay for a staff that recruits foot soldiers to make calls and knock on doors and shit. That money has to come from somewhere, and generally corporations, big unions, or wealthy people are the only ones that can stump up enough to finance it.
>>
>>55174163
yeah, this mayor of chattanooga has a golden opportunity here because of bringing in municipal fiber. If this article isn't exaggerating, then you'd have to be an idiot to vote out someone with the ability to make it happen.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.