[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HURD is a big OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: Debian-GNU-Hurd.jpg (25 KB, 480x410) Image search: [Google]
Debian-GNU-Hurd.jpg
25 KB, 480x410
HURD is a big OS
>>
>>55168586
FOR YOU
>>
>>55168598
you mean GNU. You had one job.
>>
>>55168598

Kek
>>
>>55168586
For YOU
>>
>>55168586
I feel suffocated when I look at this OS and read about it on their website. Why do people keep working on failed projects and vaporware that will never be complete? Like they are stuck in a time knowing that better stuff is already available.

Linux and BSD are ancient relics of the past when computing and servers were a thing. Today everything is automated and GUI based, they are obsolete.
>>
>>55168946
>ancient relics
You know that both Linux and FreeBSD are newer than Windows, right?

And both have GUIs and automation...

Also, servers are pretty much still a thing, seeing how PaaS and SaaS and various cloud services are an exploding market.
>>
>>55168946
my linux has no gui, and i make use of no scripts.
>>
>>55168953
Linux and BSD are useless. Without drivers and applications that people use everyday, they are just front ends for server consoles with a browser.
>>
>>55168586
Why does he wear the nigger clothes?
>>
>>55168978
>Without drivers and applications that people use everyday, they are just front ends for server consoles with a browser.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the reason I use Linux (both at home and at work) is EXACTLY because it has drivers I need and applications I need that doesn't exist for Windows.
>>
>>55168986
99% of commercial and industrial software is produced exclusively for Windows.

What applications are you talking about? I had a professor who only used Ubuntu in a VM to compile code. Other than that he used Windows and Office 365 for pretty much everything.
>>
>>55168978
ok, i will admit, i just tried FreeBSD and i couldnt make the video driver work with x11.
but as for linux, i've used mint, manjaro, ubutntu, arch, and debian, so ive used arch and debian really. and in both cases all of the laptop's features worked out of the box, including the sound and webcams, the two things that are most likely to break on linux/bsd work more than they do on windows.
>>
File: images (35).jpg (8 KB, 237x212) Image search: [Google]
images (35).jpg
8 KB, 237x212
>>55168986
Poorfag
>>
>>55169000
I spent a month working with multiple distros. They are unable to detect and configure my wireless and audio devices. Bluetooth shows up in my device list but Linux claims the device is not ready.

When I reboot Ubuntu, my Wifi disappears completely with a message 'device not ready' forcing me to use Ethernet which I don't have. I went back to Windows after a month.
>>
>>55168999
>99% of commercial and industrial software is produced exclusively for Windows.
That's not true at all.

All the big boys in the industry, you know, companies like Google, Amazon, Oracle, HP etc, use Linux not only for their infrastructure, but also for a lot of their server solutions.

>Other than that he used Windows and Office 365 for pretty much everything.
I'm not some fucking HR drone, last time I used Microsoft Office was in college for writing reports.
>>
>>55168961
>x is constantly broken and i have an uptime of 3m
>>
>>55168986
What applications are those? I work in consulting and maintenance for legacy industrial applications. None of them are Linux. I honestly can't say there's any point in time outside of the early 90s where I've thought "gee, this would be better if it ran Linux" or "this application is Linux exclusive". You're either a liar, or you play a lot of tux racing
>>
>>55169052
Well, for work all my development tools and software libraries as well as network monitoring and analysis software. I make my living as an embedded developer for a company that make network probes and network traffic analysis software for IPTV companies.

For home, I have a wireless network card that Windows 7, 8 and 10 doesn't like, but worked out of the box with Ubuntu.
>>
>>55169032
.*buntu is only one distro family for that purpose, not several, faggot
>>
>>55169032
i dont have that problem.
>>55169041
my uptime is 1d 8h 18m :X
>>
>>55169080
Yes but what applications are those that do not have a Windows equivalent? If it's preference fine I can understand that. I use a highly customized arch installation out of preference on my laptop. Bit I also dual boot Windows 10. Because you cannot access most modern grm, erp, or project management systems from Linux. Let alone millwright or COBOL based applications , whereas for the past two decades Microsoft has maintained compatibility. Linux kernel has made every effort to break that. So auto desk, SAP and the likes stopped bothering.
Sorry in advance if I seem rude, English isy fourth language so I am not perfect.
>>
>>55169032
its not about distros just dont use fucking pulseaudio
>>
>>55169142
>Shitty sound with pulse audio
>No sound
>Just use Windows or beos
What should I do anon
>>
>>55169041
Kill yourself mouth breather
>>
>>55169134
>Yes but what applications are those that do not have a Windows equivalent
Virtually anything that is based on libpcap, so stuff like tcptrace and mauzer for example. Using statistics from the Linux kernel, tcpprobe, some open source AQM classification tools, KauNet/Dummynet.. We also use a bunch of proprietary tools from our clients which program names isn't going to mean anything to you.

>Because you cannot access most modern grm, erp, or project management systems from Linux
I use zero of this at work, I'm an engineer not a manager or a HR/accountant drone.
>>
>>55169134
>Microsoft deliberately avoid open standards and protocols
>"hurr durr Linux breaks compatibility"
>>
>>55168586
I called Linux today to ask for customer support regarding GNU/Hurd. They said the software has no warranty, explicit or implied, as far as the law will allow.
>>
>>55169210
I'm an actual engineer . Not a play play computer engineer. I work with large oil companies such as Valero, Mobil, tiger, shell, ups, WTMC, SNC, Siemens. In the past I've published papers on automation. I did my thesis in the applications of statistical ergonomics which that research was utilized by Hershey's and coke. To improve the spread of almonds on both their Hershey's kiss and Hershey's almond nut bar and for coke to reduce NOS wastage in bottle inflation. I have designed a variety of custom implementations and modules for several companies. Linux is fantastic, do not get me wrong. But unless your working almost exclusively in networking it's only a hindrance to use. There have been many studies on the practical applications of FOSS systems in the industry. FOSS software is far too immature to be ready for the real world unfortunately. Eventually, yes maybe. Hopefully windows will.be replaced. But that is decades from now. The back end and infrastructure simply doesn't exist yet. Red hat gets things very right in this regard. But Windows is the simpler and better known choice.
>>
>>55169304
>Red hat gets things very right in this regard.
too bad Red Hat is AIDS
>>
>>55169323
why?
>>
>>55169323
It is the Gentoo, Hurd and Ubuntu mentality that ruins Linux kernel for anything but fringe use. People like Stallman frankly do more harm than good by pushing these hippy ideologies rather than actually improving the kernel and fixing issues that span multiple decades. There should be a core group of people leading the project that actually reach out to manufacturers for support. Not a group of ill experienced children that sit around waiting for daddy Intel to be nice and publish some drivers that fit their special snowflake licensing needs. These things do not matter in practical application. Executives and decision makers look at it as a cost v support v uptime matter. And Linux loses every time.
>>
>>55169304
I work with embedded systems and networking. I work exclusively with Linux. I've also published papers, so big fucking whoop.

You say FOSS software is too immature to be ready for the real world, the problem with that statement is that FOSS software is already the industry standard and widely used in the real world.

Not every program is some lousy desktop computer CAD program.
>>
>>55168946
Your first 3 sentences were sensible, and I tend to agree with them. Your 4th and 5th sentences are retarded.
>>
File: 1457570641671.png (457 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1457570641671.png
457 KB, 690x460
> Install Ubuntu on my Toshiba laptop
> Screen brightness doesn't work, constantly stuck at max, can't configure power saving settings as it's basically detected as a desktop
> Check out the forums
> Find a thread with my same problem
> "Hey, you need to open the console and do x, y and then z. If you don't know how to do x here's a thread about it, and the continuation here, and here's another thread for y and another for z"
No thanks
>>
>>55169374
Again you ignore my points and are simply conceding with your statements. You work in networking. I made specific statements about many other industry applications that have no functional foss replacement. And in no way was i confrontational, I simply pointed out my experience level to show that I do in fact know what I'm talking about. Outside of networking foss software is immature and generally a nuisance to deal with. Windows can replace Linux in networking solutions. It is not quite as good, but it can do it and already is. Linux cannot however replace windows fully in any other application. This is the issue I am reffering to. Obviously Linux kernel systems are fantastic at network management, but networks are simply a support service for everything else. Not to say they are u important. But they are only a piece of the bigger picture. If you cannot reply sensibly I can only dismiss your argument
>>
>>55169362
>$5 have been deposited on your Magenty Hatty Treats(TM) account
>>
>>55168586
hurd isn't an os
>>
WHAT IS GNU/LINUX
BABY DON'T HURD ME
DON'T HURD ME
NO MORE
>>
>>55169362
>It is the Gentoo, Hurd and Ubuntu mentality that ruins Linux kernel for anything but fringe use.
>Ubuntu mentality
>fringe use
what
>>
>>55169419
>hurr durr Linux is only good in networking
As I pointed out, this is not true. Your experience is limited.

Linux is widely used as an embedded platform and it is widely used in other areas, such as HPC and rugged environments (I know, because my last job was at a company making PCIe-based interconnects for clients such as Lockheed-Martin and Boeing).
>>
>>55169473
That's a fair point. It is excellent in embedded or custom application. I programmed a series of micro systems currently embedded in a paint and dry booth. A lot of the niche things are very at home on Linux.
>>
>>55169459
I don't know how to better explain. The way these people think is toxic to the kernel development and core assets. There is no unity in their vision or direction. Does that make sense
>>
>>55169513
It's also the dominant/only viable hypervisor OS, so all those servers you use are running on top of Linux.
>>
>>55169558
Again, my question wasn't networking related. I reffered to. Specific set of very widely used services by a variety of industries.
>>
>>55169587
Virtual machines are not networking, you idiot.

You're just grouping everything you disapprove of into the category "networking" so you can make an absurd claim that Linux is only good for networking (and the even more absurd claim that Windows is taking over, completely ignoring the fact that Microsoft fucking released a Debian-based distro they use on their network infrastructure).
>>
>>55168999
>Office 365 for pretty much everything.

fuck off pajeet
>>
>>55168999

> Ubuntu in a VM to compile code. Other than that use Windows and Office 365 for pretty much everything.
this is literally the only real way to do things if you aren't a jokster
>>
>>55168978
Haven't tried BSD, but all the Linux distros I use have all the basic drivers pre-installed. Also, all the "everyday applications" included for most installs. Go fuck a koala, you fucking useless Australian nigger.
>>
>>55168978
>Toilets are useless. Without the pavement that people use everyday, they are just front ends for houses with a bathroom.
>>
>>55169015
Cuckfag, enjoy I hope you enjoy Microshit sodomizing your data.
>>
If bsd aren't stuck in lawsuits in early 90s there would be bsd everywhere today
>>
>>55168586
Serious question: Does HURD have any problem that Linux doesn't have?
>>
>>55169415
>Words on a screen scare me
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 640x359
Yes, yes. Well done HURD. Well done HURD.

HOWEVER
>>
>>55172763
not a lot of drivers is a downside. Also not nearly as many people work on it.
>>
Never HURD of it
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.