[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was talking to a JAVA head earlier and he said me taking "C"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: java.jpg (107 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
java.jpg
107 KB, 1280x768
I was talking to a JAVA head earlier and he said me taking "C" next semester was pretty much useless and his disdain for it. He said he mainly hated all the pointers involved and that it wasn't easily cross-compatible with other operating systems. It basically described it as unessential for a programmer. Does he know what the hell he's talking about or just too dumb for most languages?
>>
>>55167733
Yes
>>
>>55167765
Yes to? Java is definitely easier for cross-OS.
>>
>>55167813
No
>>
I don't know
>>
Can you repeat the question?
>>
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
>>
>>55167818
If that was the case, why are console to PC ports so bad?
>>
>>55167916
And you're not so big
>>
>>55167733
>I was talking to a JAVA

Java, not JAVA. And before you ask, Mac, not MAC, unless you're talking about the MAC address of the Ethernet port on your Mac.

> head earlier and he said me taking "C" next semester was pretty much useless and his disdain for it. He said he mainly hated all the pointers involved

Bait.

> and that it wasn't easily cross-compatible with other operating systems.

Eh. C is, essentially, the minimal possible cross-platform language. It's not cross platform with regards to things like libraries (e.g. Win32 on Windows, GDI graphics on Windows), but it's entirely cross platform in terms of simply being a language that can be compiled on any platform.

> It basically described it as unessential for a programmer. Does he know what the hell he's talking about or just too dumb for most languages?

IMO you're nothing but a mediocre script-hacker unless you've learned C (or C++, but C++ is like the hideous, giant mongoloid lovechild of C and a trash can). Learning dynamic memory management is absolutely critical.
>>
>>55167956
Life is unfair
>>
>>55167956
>>55167733
honestly, where do you people come from?

>imo you're a script hacker unless you learn C
you guys are fucking nuts. I took one class in college, and never looked back. It's great for performance, but I've never needed in my career. You then go onto bash C++, which is the more prolific... ya'll are bait

OP: I hold this view and I'm a seasoned professional. you need to learn pointers but they're a PITA you have to live with.
>>
>>55167956
>IMO you're nothing but a mediocre script-hacker unless you've learned C
Sorry about the typos. I'm tired as fuck. It's funny you say that because that is essentially the type of program he sells.
>>
>>55167733
C is useless for cross-compatibility. Unless you're programming for HPC you won't be using C.
>>
If Java is so cross-compatible then why is it written in. C/C++ and not in Java?
>>
>>55167898
Bravo, enkor
>>
>>55167969
>Life is unfair

Okay?

>>55168027
>honestly, where do you people come from?

The real world. There's a huge difference between people who understand C (or better yet, assembly language) and those who don't.

>you guys are fucking nuts. I took one class in college, and never looked back.

Congratulations, you're mediocre. I'm sure you're great at pasting together libraries.

> You then go onto bash C++, which is the more prolific... ya'll are bait

Uh. I don't think that's true. At all. C++'s heyday was in the late 1990s. Meanwhile, C was THE desktop programming language from around 1980 - 1990, and proliferated across innumerable embedded devices.

>>55168034
>Sorry about the typos. I'm tired as fuck. It's funny you say that because that is essentially the type of program he sells.

WTF are you talking about? Typos?
>>
C has a lot of extremely serious downsides, more than Java has.
Its set of valid use cases has shrinked greatly in latest decades.
Its main problem is it being unsafe - much easier to make a mistake that will bring the program down - not compatibility.

But on the other hand learning C is an extremely valuable experience. Hating C because of "all the pointers involved" is unsightly for a good programmer.
>>
>>55168496
>Its set of valid use cases has shrinked greatly in latest decades.

Nope. It's exploding. There are more embedded devices today than ever before in history. By a long shot.
>>
>>55168908
And the amount of people writing C is not growing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.