[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HALP!!! Boot SSD Failures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: despair.jpg (186 KB, 899x598) Image search: [Google]
despair.jpg
186 KB, 899x598
I'm ready to cry /g/; tl;dr;
>Editing on several hundred photos
>upload them overnight via Google Drive
>system freezes up at around 2:30am
>45 photos weren't uploaded
>turns out boot SSD failed
FUCK. It's a Patriot Blaze 128GB that's about 2 years old. This is the second time it has "failed" on me. When I cold-resetted the system, I got that 00000000e Windows System missing boot drive error but though again, for the second time I just did a hard power reset, reallocated it primary boot in the UEFI and it worked on me.

I'm professional photographer so this is my main source of income. I nearly lost a whole event's photos and another day's worth of editing.

What's the best (most affordable) solution that's possible for me stop this from happening? Got a recommendation for a more reliable SSD? Or should I just go back to HDDs which have never failed on me?

I'm literally shaking with fear that I nearly lost all my work /g/ :(
>>
>>55163057
>professional photographer
>main source of income
>doesn't regularly backup
nigger are you serious
>>
Lesson learned! Never have 1 copy of a set of photos. Ever.
>>
>>55163115
I actually back-up straight after a shoot and after an editing session (so I have a clone of my mass storage drive/HDD). So I could have just re-uploaded those BUT the fact that I nearly lost a night's worth of uploading (ADSL2+ is the fastest possible for me) is scaring the ever-loving shit out of me.
>>
>>55163181
Then I guess you didn't learn your lesson.

One day you might. Always have 2 copies. Before editing, during editing, after editing.
>>
>he fell for the SSD meme
>>
>>55163257
>doesn't have an SSD in 2016
lol, enjoy your potato computing
>>
>>55163245
It's early in the morning here so later (probably at lunch) I'm planing to get a W&D NAS Enterprise 24/7 HDD so I can use that for a rolling back-up. But also planning get UPS as well as a more reliable SSD.

Are those Samsung EVO Pros worth a damn?

What can you recommend?
>>
>>55163289
EVO pros are rock solid and have like 5 year warranty. Have you considered a RAID?
>>
>storing photos on a ssd
why
>>
>>55163445
No-no-no. I only use my boot SSD as a scratch disk. I store all of my photos (about 3TB worth so far) on a HDD (and the clone/back-up HDD).

>>55163433
I've never considered a RAID actually. I'm too dumb for that :(
>>
>>55163616
I mean, if you have a backup drive anyway, why not just do a RAID 1 to save yourself the hassle of backing up, it does it automatically
>>
>>55163616
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-set-raid-1-windows-and-linux-2015/
>>
RAID is the easiest way to handle this problem.
>>
>>55163697
>>55163666
>>55163644
Just read through this, doesn't RAID 1 duplicate everything? So doesn't that mean corrupted data or KEK forbid, viruses etc. are cloned too?

I was thinking of setting up a NAS and manually updating it periodically with selected files. I really don't need to back up everything I guess...

I'm OP by the way.
>>
>>55163815
you are retarded for failing for the solid jew meme

you deserve rape
>>
TAPE BACKUPS
>>
>>55163815
Very true about the virus thing, though if you're not retarded its pretty hard to get a virus in this day and age. You have to weigh up what's a greater risk, corrupted data or storage drive failiure? Or you could be super autismo and do RAID 1 + NAS backups
>>
>>55163857
Fuck mayne, I just wanted super-dooper loading loading time speeds...

>>55163923
What about optical too? I have a Blu-ray burner that I've only used once (to make a back-up Windows installation disc). Blank Blu-Rays are cheap now, right?

>>55163924
Probably could go with the Autimso route. This is my livelyhood at stake...
>>
>>55163987
Blu ray backups are cool if you're not backing up very often but doing it frequently would be a ballache, plus there's the matter of storing gorillions of assorted bluray backups.

The autismo route is about the safest you can get short of off site cloud backups. Bretty expensive though.
>>
File: workflow.png (9 KB, 658x452) Image search: [Google]
workflow.png
9 KB, 658x452
What do you think of this?

Blue arrows are my current work flow. Red is the additional new option. I'm not sure about RAID 1 now because I've got a mini-ITX system and there's only room for 4 internal storage drives. Only room for a single 3.5" HDD :(
>>
>>55164218
can't see much wrong with that, however
>NAS over WiFi
>>
>>55164295
So I can back up my laptop as well? Or that's too risky for the convenience?
>>
>>55164372
Oh yeah of course you can back up your laptop over wifi, but I'd do ethernet from your workstation purely for the speed and stability benefits
>>
>>55164218
Well you can also fork out a few extra bucks for a full tower case and dump a bunch of HDD and SSD in there. Not much of a problem there mate.
>>
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
>>
>>55163057
This isn't a problem on the Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
>>
>>55163644
Repeat after me please:
>RAID is not a backup
>>
The Sandisk Pro drives have 10 year warranty on them.
You should back up photos as soon as you are finished shooting, after import, after editing. WTF is the issue with uploading to cloud failing, oh no your have to reupload for another hour, just do other work in that hour while you wait. Also you didn't loose important data since you already backed up nbd.
If loosing an hour is costing you a deadline or sth allocate time better so that you have a larger buffer between your upload and delivery.
>>
>>55166475
I had three different jobs in three days. My fault for trying to jew myself.

I also guarantee a 24 hour turn around from the end of a shoot to processed images (including download link).
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.