[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pertaining to /brit/, what's your preference and opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: fiber.png (100 KB, 300x249) Image search: [Google]
fiber.png
100 KB, 300x249
Pertaining to /brit/, what's your preference and opinion on your ISPs?

I'm going to switch to a new fiber package and everyone is more or less offering the same deals, however whether or not they are a reliable and trustworthy provider is another story.

So tell me /g/, which ISP best deserves my shekels?
>>
File: VXjEkCC.gif (3 MB, 348x287) Image search: [Google]
VXjEkCC.gif
3 MB, 348x287
Sorry if it's not really 'techy' stuff, but trust that through the shit posting on /g/, there are valuable answers.
>>
Plusnet, they give better upload speeds than most of the competition and no bullshit caps or throttling.
Check uswitch for deals.
>>
>>55158899

Thanks for the tip.

I was thinking about either them or BT.

I'd like to be able to use my own router and upspeed is under looked in the UK, thanks.
>>
>>55159568

Don't listen to >>55158899

Plusnet are shite. It's mediocre and support is non existent. Total bollocks. Go with Sky or BT.
>>
>>55158899
you get throttling on your phone lines ?
what the fuck
>>
>>55158734

Is SSE still doing thier discount deals? Went with them for fibre broadband, think i pay about £20 a month for line rental and fibre. Not had any issues with them so far and its speed is consistant but not the fastest.

Avoid BT.
>>
>>55160105

Avoid BT? Why do you say lad?
>>
>>55160160

I sadly had a horrendous experience with them, beyond farcical. The person who came round to install my broadband never clicked finish on their laptop, after 14 days my phone and broadband stopped working. they said i wasnt a customer even when i had all the equipment. eventually after getting further in solving my issue somehow a password was added to my account. So i had to wait 7 days for them to mail me my password which i never set up (turns out it was a phone number for bt customer support). They tried a second time but didnt set up to transfer our number so they cancelled that installtion, so now i got 2 home hubs doing nothing.

ended up emailing their support director who in their defence set me with someone from executive level complaints who then dealt with me personally. But in the end it took nearly 2 months to get online. They did make concessions but it was a nightmare and at the time they had a year monopoly on fibre in my town.

So from my experience i'd rather not deal with them and hope no one goes through the same.

(maybe my issues is with openreach but they are all incompetent until the personal complaint advisor)
>>
File: 1464532019034.jpg (115 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1464532019034.jpg
115 KB, 720x540
>>55160334

I'm stuck without a solution then. I've been told to avoid TalkTalk, Plusnet and BT. I'm already with Sky and they've rinsed me before.

It's dire mate, it's dire.
>>
>>55160392
Its going to be like phone contracts, everyone knows someone with horror stories. My BT experience wont be the norm, but its certainly made me avoid them.

SSE broadband is ok but its only worth it if you got their intro 2 year deal for dirt cheap.

Talk Talk is horrendous so do avoid it, sky is only good when you make a deal with them to renew if you have sky tv. are you in a virgin cable area? They always had good speeds when i used them.
>>
File: 1464242034894.jpg (54 KB, 598x403) Image search: [Google]
1464242034894.jpg
54 KB, 598x403
>>55160559

Nah, no Virgin for me. Waited years now and the fuckers still haven't put down any connections.

Looks like I'll be renewing Sky then. Not the TV, not for phone either but purely cable. Hopefully they make it worthwhile.

Cheers for your input lad.
>>
Virgin Media for speed. I've also used Plusnet in the past and they're not bad.
>>
>>55160620
I've had horrible experience with sky support. Nothing but pajeets from a script.
>>
Virgin Media is pretty decent senpai
>>
The smaller boutique ISPs usually give you more flexibility and better support

The bigger ones, the Skys, BTs and Virgins - are for the masses. They usually have very cheap deals, but the support is invariably terrible and the service is generic and limited
>>
Where are you living? There's companies who do gigabit internet now.
>>
>>55160334
Incompetence is rife in Openreach. I used to work for Sky and dealing with Openreach and BT was the bane of my fucking life.

Most of Sky's broadband and telephone complaints are because of things that are in Openreach's remit, and Sky has been very vocal about this. But Sky are fucking hypocrites because they they just want to make an easy profit off Openreach's services when they could be building their own Virgin style network
>>
Virgin is a really good choice now that they've made their routers use 5GHz and AC. The old superhub was shit.
and the VM speeds are really quick
>>
>>55162575

South coast, near Brighton.

>>55162633

I've been waiting for Virgin lines for years now. Still not available in my area, insanity.

The only provider I want is the only one I can't have. As for the smaller ISPs, something about them still feels sketchy to me.
>>
If you can go with Virgin, do. Avoid TalkTalk. BT and Sky are acceptable alternatives. I am with BT and generally satisfied.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.