[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
perl -ne '/perl/ and print'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Perl.gif (44 KB, 643x326) Image search: [Google]
Perl.gif
44 KB, 643x326
Perl Thread!
>>
All the faggots using php and now JS on the server can suck camel cock
>>
>>55159060
lol people haven't been making perl web apps since like 1999.

Bugzilla is literally the only common app out there still perl based.
>>
I'm learning perl right now.
It's fucking comfy with all these variables.

I don't care if it's used or not in webz. I use it for my own simple tasks and it's great.
>>
>>55159394

I agree. I mostly stick to using it as awk++. Awk, even GNU Awk is pretty painful to use once your problem becomes evenly complex. Capture groups don't actually capture. Standard Awk functions only operate on strings and you have to loop over aggregates explicitly yourself.

I actually really like the older style procedural modules like `Data::Dumper`. You've got a few global variables that you can tweak to modify the behavior (like indentation level or sorting keys), but because you have dynamic scope in addition to lexical scope, you can confine your changes to an arbitrary block.
>>
$ perl -p -e '$|=1; s/#\[(.*)\]/eval($1)/ge' | $COMMAND
# replace $COMMAND by an interactive program of your choice.
# What this does is wrap your interactive program with a perl script
# that takes strings enclosed in #[ ] and executes them as perl code
# much like $( ) expansion happens at the shell
# If the pipeline breaks the I/O sync use this instead
$ mkfifo fifo
$ $COMMAND <fifo & perl -p -e '$|=1; s/#\[(.*)\]/eval($1)/ge' >fifo ; rm fifo
>>
>>55159166
>booking.com isn't common
>BBC iPlayer isn't common

There are plenty of enthusiastic perl web developers out there. They just prefer to get the job done using their favourite tools rather than forcing their choices on others.
>>
Perl is the best shell language because the interpreter only runs the line of code you enter and immediately shuts off. It seamlessly integrates with bash *nux utilities. It has implicit collections and iterators that allow one liners to do the work of multi-line scripts. Its more powerful than sed/grep/awk (which it was designed to replace). As a shell language nothing comes close to Perl, anyone who writes bash scripts is an idiot
>>
>>55159166
Mojolicious is a Perl web framework that has every possible feature you could want in a framework like REST, web sockets, templates, etc and is written entirely in Perl, no dependencies
>>
>>55160647
>two shitty examples

Only hurting your argument desu
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.