[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blu Ray, 4k movies, PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 2000px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png (79 KB, 2000x1073) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png
79 KB, 2000x1073
So I want to watch 4K movies on my TV and PC, what do I do? Seriously I've been browsing the internet all day and I can't find any good answers.

I need a Blu Ray player that can play 4K (because not all of them support it I think?) that I can connect to my PC and TV (or using some sort of workaround) what device do I need? I know I also need a 4K pc screen and TV. I'm thinking of just purchasing a 2K PC monitor so I can game on it too and then a 4K TV.

And when I buy Blu Ray movies, is there some sort of weird DRM on it, or is it just standard files that I can play with VLC?

Sorry if this is the wrong board.
>>
Go to Geek Squad and ask them.
>>
You'll need a 4k Bluray cd drive.. not sure if those even exist...

then you'll need a media player that can decrypt the DRM.. open source ones like vlc won't work with all the proper menus

then you'll need an hdmi 2.0+ monitor to output the damn signal
>>
There is no software that can play 4k Blurays atm and it doesn't likely to be in near future, because Sony doesn't want PCs to play them. It also won't be cracked in near future because of the mandatory blackbox hardware DRM. Your only option is to buy a stand alone bluray player or wait for Xbox One S/Scorpio/Playstation Neo, they will have 4k bluray movie playing capability.
>>
>>55157459
>>55157475
>>55157534

My plan was to buy a 4k pc screen and 4k TV and then a player that works for both, but if i can only get 4k blu ray players for TV i might as well buy a normal pc screen and a normal blu ray player for it. And then a 4k tv with a 4k blu ray player?

I guess im saving money on the pc screen at least ;_;
>>
>>55157644
You can connect your external player directly to the 4k PC monitor if it supports HDMI 2.0/2.1 like a TV, you just can't connect it to your PC and use software players like VLC.
>>
>>55157714

Holy shit I didn't think of that at all, sound perfect.

Btw do you know if a 4k blu ray player works with a non 4k screen? like if i just use a 2k pc monitor and a standard 1980p screen?
>>
File: 6832.jpg (81 KB, 1013x760) Image search: [Google]
6832.jpg
81 KB, 1013x760
>>55158178
>Btw do you know if a 4k blu ray player works with a non 4k screen
Comments on enthusiast forums say specifications instruct content to be downscaled to HD if your screen is not 4k or HDCP 2.2 encryption compatible, though I'm not sure if every player will do that or which ones support it though logically all of them should do it if it is in specs and they need to support existing TVs for wide adoption.

Btw you need to check your new 4k device also be HDCP2.2 compatible for native UHD display, some of the earlier 4k TVs don't support it.
>>
Yea updated HDMI 2.0 spec is REQUIRED for the monitor AND TV if you want full 4k playback. HDCP 2.2 won't allow a 4k steam without full HDCP compliance. So no display port 1.2 even though it supports 4k@60hz it doesn't support HDCP 2.2 so it can't playback UHD content.

You'd think the industry would want to make it simple so people can more easily adopt to the new standards but nope, they have to DRM the shit out of it, depspite the fact enthusiasts have already managed to rip the uncompressed UHD content (using very expensive capture card set up)
>>
>>55159383
>>55159571

So all screens with HDMI 2.0 can view UHD?
>>
>blu ray
>physical media
>2016
>>
You're going to be able to play 4K on PC soon. You're probably going to need a PC with Windows 10 (since it supports PlayReady 3.0 DRM), a TPM chip (because it's needed for remote attestation), a Skylake CPU (since it has Intel SGX which allows so called "trusted" execution) and GTX 1080 (because of Protected Video Path). Have fun with all that hardware DRM.
>>
>>55160142
If it's a 4k panel and it has HDMI 2.0 you should be fine since the HDMI 2.0 spec requires HDCP 2.2. Just make sure the TV and monitor both have at least one HDMI 2.0 port and you should be golden
>>
>>55160207

I honestly think that blu ray is the only future for physical media. I know that Nexflix has killed DVD, but most people can't stream 4K movies. Especially in the US with their slow internet speeds, and they are a huge market. It does have to get a lot cheaper and simpler than this though. Would like it if there was less DRM though.
>>
>>55160242
What about a 2k (1440p) monitor? Will it get fucked by DRM? (and will it look better than a 1080p monitor if i watch a 4k movie with a 4k blu ray olayer)
>>
>>55160523
It should downscale automatically to 2k. Assuming it has HDCP 2.2 anyway. HDMI 2.0 is the easiest way to be sure it has it. The only one I know of personally is the Acer H257HU.
>>
The new Xbox one s is the cheapest 4k Blu-ray player
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.