[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which meme OS should i choose ? I'm so confused
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1415979348495s.jpg (4 KB, 250x109) Image search: [Google]
1415979348495s.jpg
4 KB, 250x109
Which meme OS should i choose ?
I'm so confused
>>
Gentoo if you want to use dwm, and really rice your shit with USE flags when installing from source.
Arch if you want to use i3 and have access to proprietary binaries.
>>
>>55155890
jus b urself f@m
>>
Gentoo if your machine is powerful enouh to compile shit quickly, Arch if you don't want to waste time compiling.
>>
Why would you even ask this? If you're mature then go with Gentoo. If you're immature then go with Arch.
>>
>>55155890
Depends on the time you have.

Gentoo is not meant to be a primary OS, neither is Arch. But if I have to pick one, I'd pick Arch over Gentoo anyway. Gentoo is a timesink in comparison to Arch. Even the creator of Gentoo uses Mac and left the project because he ran out of autism.

Both Arch and Gentoo has literally the best wikis. Although incompetent Gentoo maintainers got their server crashed and they have almost made as good wiki
>>
>>55155890
Do you value your time?
arch
worthless neet?
gentoo

install mate desktop, everything else is retarded
>>
>>55155890

if you're choosing out of the two, pick arch if you have a weaker machine or absolutely do not want to have to wait before using new packages (hint: some packages have binary versions for software that takes excessively long to compile)

otherwise, while having a steeper learning curve and as a result taking longer to learn, gentoo is absolutely the better choice

>>55156532
>Even the creator of Gentoo uses Mac

it's not uncommon at all for people to dev for gnu/linux while using osx -- it's generally about as good for development while still being mostly unix-like and not as much of a nightmare to use on the desktop

the creator of gnome and the mono project also used osx, but then again he wanted a job at microsoft for decades but couldn't cut it until fairly recently

>>55157056

they're both time sink distros but at least gentoo has a decent build system going for it

time waiting for packages to compile isn't wasted provided you're not planning on using them immediately but if that is an issue run another distro in a vm either as host or guest - there's a hell of a lot of good integration between gnu/linux virtual machines that there's no real reason not to at least know how to use it
>>
Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.
>>
>>55157359
Too bad i have a shit pc. But it will only take time to compile. When i have everything installed it should run smoothly?
>>
>>55157419
If you run stable, yes, it's a bit outdated sometimes, but you can always use a few ~amd64 (i.e. unstable) packages to counter it.

You can do a monthly update on stable and end with 20-30 updates, normally. Also, you can use binary versions of big packages, such as firefox and libreoffice (truly a nightmare to compile, even on great CPUs).
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-06-19_18-59-35.png (64 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-06-19_18-59-35.png
64 KB, 1366x768
>>55155890
this
>>55155913
>>
>>55157419
Why do so many people complain about compile times, sure it can take a bit. But are you honestly telling me you can't go a day or two with out your pc? Once you have X and a browser compiled you've basically got the functionality you need to entertain yourself while you sort out the rest of your machine.
>>
>>55156532
Why are they not meant to be primary OSes? I have had arch as my main for ages now. Am moving over to gentoo at the moment. Have been using it on my netbook for a while. I find both stable and comfy enough to server my day to day needs. I even have a mon-fri job that doesn't involve computers.
>>
>>55155890
Holy fucking shit. Gentoo is a meme...nothing more. I'll admit I fell for it once. Not worth it with all the USE shit. Arch works awesome and has the best wiki and best package setup
>>
>>55158166
Because people don't want to spend days waiting to get a slightly more optimised binary than the already available binaries of packages
>>
>>55158238
Gentoo and Arch have both good wikis
Arch wiki has more articles
Gentoo wiki has more decribed articles
>>
>>55158455
Then why are they in gentoo threads? If you can't go a day or two without a computer, or only own one machine you're a pleb.
>>
I don't understand why everybody moans about Gentoo compile times waaa waaa. Fucking cry me a river, I was using Gentoo in 2005, toasters are more powerful now than that box I was running it on back then. We've got it easy today you fucking millennial shitlords.
>>
>>55157290
>they're both time sink distros but at least gentoo has a decent build system going for it
No. Only gentoo is because you have to wait for packages to compile. With arch you can install packages quickly.
>>
>>55158688
NO one forced you to use Gentoo retard
>>
>>55158881
I don't think he implied he was/felt forced to use gentoo...
>>
>>55158946
Then he must be a masochist.
>>
>>55155890
>Gentoo
>Arch
Go with Manjaro
>>
>>55158992
/wretch

If you're gonna do it then do it properly.
>>
>>55158965
No masochism involved. Just because it takes a little longer doesn't make it masochistic.
>>
>>55155890
Depends if you want a logo with hole in a heart or fat guy in a tent.
>>
File: lost.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lost.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>55159408
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.