[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Want more women in open source? try paying them. Terri O
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
>Want more women in open source? try paying them. Terri Oda suggests that seeding open source projects with paid developers who happen to be women would help show a commitment to diversity and encourage more women to join.

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Open_Source_Software

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>55149619
They don't understand the point of open source, do they?
>>
>>55149619

they just wanna get paid and still be able to call themselves volunteers. given the culture nowadays, they can likely get away with it, so they're going to try.
>>
>>55149619
#givewomenyourmoney
>>
>pay me to make free software

No
>>
>volunteer project
>expects payment

Anyway they should at least actually work if they want to get paid because searchin for computer terminology to get offended at isn't developing
>>
>>55149657
plenty of open source projects have paid, full time developers and bounties, you have to actually contribute and not just be a woman though
>>
The entire volunteer thing is a fucking meme anyways.
Most successful (F)OSS projects nowadays have paid developers working on them.

Linux? Entirely bankrolled by companies that rely on it.
Django and Rails? Paid developers fix existing bugs that bother customers, and implement functionality that their customers need.
Python? I think Guido is at Dropbox right now, still.
>>
>>55149910
You realize free doesn't mean no price right?
It has always been like that, otherwise Linux wouldn't have grown beyonf being Linus personal neckbeard basement project
>>
>>55149619
>pay us just to exist
Yep, sounds like women alright.
>>
>2002 survey of open source communities found that approximately 1.1% of contributors were women
>2013 survey found that 11% of FLOSS contributors are women

Looks like some progress has been made, but not a whole lot. The biggest problem likely lies in the fact that women are a minority in computer science in general. According to some site I just googled, only 18% of computer science bachelor degrees go to women (https://ngcproject.org/statistics)

Offering monetary incentives for women to join open source projects doesn't really address the issue above, because it's just targeting an already small demographic in a male-dominated field. This likely won't lead to any great changes, but it's their money to spend.
>>
>>55150194
>The biggest problem
Why is it a problem? Problem is finding someone skilled, not hiring people depending if they have a vagina or not
>>
dumb cunts
>>
>>55149619
>Want more women in open source?
no
>>
>>55150335
Opening pandora's box here
>male privilege

Industries dominated by a certain demographic tend to be biased in favor of others matching their characteristics, either consciously or unconsciously. This affects employment opportunities, and also plays a part in places of work and education in regards to how people interact with each other.

All of the above can apply to other disparaged demographics and career fields as well. I mention male privilege, because when you're a male going into CSci, you won't face any of that bias / discrimination for being a woman, and thus it's easier to pretend there's no problem at all. À la "out of sight, out of mind". The same thing happens with the race-blindness ideology in white dominated workplaces, in which the same bullshit liberal argument is regurgitated:
"we don't care about race, we only care about skill"

If you got through all of that, I have a question for you. Why do you think there are so few women in computer science?
>>
>>55150474
>Why do you think there are so few women in computer science
Because women are typically not interested in computer science.
Why on earth is a tumblrfag like you here?
>>
>>55150488
Okay, fair response. I'm genuinely interested here, by the way:
Why do you think so few women are interested in computer science?
>>
>>55150510
why should anyone be interested in it?
>>
>>55150474
>>55150510
Because they're just not fucking interested in it?

There are plenty of women in bio, and chem, dude.
>>
>>55150510
it doesn't boost your social status. and still isn't trendy among society
>>
>>55150542
>Because they're just not fucking interested in it?
That's what I'm asking about. Any thoughts on why that might be?
>>
>>55149619
I don't disagree with that. It's sound logic. Want more woman devs? Pay them more.

Problem is that I don't give a fuck and men code for free.
>>
>>55150474
>Why do you think there are so few women in computer science?
Why does it matter? Having a vagina gives you programming skills?
>Inb4 hurr durr Meritocracy is mansplaining gender inequality
Why are so few women in mining? And garbage disposal?
Fuck off back to tumblr
>>
>>55150555
Who gives a shit? People have varying interests. It really doesn't matter if there aren't a lot of women in tech, as long as they CAN be in tech.

Women generally seem to be less interested in engineering related shit. Their brains literally work different from men's. They just don't seem to be as interested. It's not a problem that needs to be solved or some shit. There are just fewer who are interested, the same way there are many fields that women dominate that men aren't interested in.
>>
>>55150555
>Any thoughts on why that might be?
Because they're hardwired by nature to do so, women can't generally into logic and maths
>hurr durr its cuz of male dominated societal expectations
>>
>>55150194
>>55150474
>>55150510
>>55150555

This is some high quality bait, I'll give you that.
>>
>>55150586
>Why does it matter?
Because I'm curious and I want to know what you think about it, so I asked.
>>
>>55150586
>Having a vagina gives you programming skills?
Does it make you less interested in computer science?
>>
>>55149619

Do we know how effective this would be? Are there any studies suggesting that if you make a temporary commitment to pay female developers you can eventually stop paying them and have a more diverse community?
>>
>http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Open_Source_Software

Why were you even there?
>>
>Want more women in open source?
No
>>
>give women special treatment for "equality"
no thanks.
>>
Not a single boss cares whether you have a vagina or not, it's about your skills.
Want to beat a highly male driven environment? Become better than us, but don't whine about it like some child.
>>
>>55150555
Because chicks, even ugly chicks, can get attention from men.

A man sits in front of a computer, alone, programming, and its fine. We like being alone. We like our caves. Fuck you.

Women want a nest with babies and friends around. "It takes a village." A lonely ass computer job for the rest of your life doing shit your brain may not even be wired for is a stupid decision for a woman.

No one has ever encouraged me to be a developer and I have never seen anyone discourage a woman from doing so. No one fucking cares about your genitalia. Just shut the fuck up and go code, alone, forever. Again, fuck you.
>>
This shit is implying that the men get paid

They don't
>>
>>55149657
they're feminists, I don't think they would even understand the difference between a CPU and Dorito chip.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.