[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>install xubuntu >everything seems fine >WiFi password
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: xubuntu_logo_black.png (7 KB, 424x120) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu_logo_black.png
7 KB, 424x120
>install xubuntu
>everything seems fine
>WiFi password not remembered from installation
>huh
>no biggie
>panel randomly crashes at least once an hour
>xfwm can't place windows properly when using snapping or whatever the fuck it's called
>leaves gaps around them
>close laptop to do something else
>doesn't suspend
>no trusty beep
>lift lid up
>lock screen is the default
>no biggie
>change it, close lid
>open lid later
>unlock
>cursor has disappeared
>only logout cures it
>does this every time
What the fuck, Xubuntu used to be cool. I don't know what happened but it's fucking trash now. All the same bugs on my other laptop and my desktop, too. 16.04 can suck my turgid cock, LTS my ass.

Might finally have to try CLD or--ye gods--Arch.
>>
Did you also get the bug where the whisker menu button turns into a black box when moving tabs around?
>>
>>55125497
I would honestly try mate. It's been rock solid for me. I always had problems with XFCE.
>>
I have not been able to have a stable experience with any 16.04 so far. And I remember using 14.04 and 15.04 without issues.
>>
>>55125497
>>unlock
>>cursor has disappeared

this is a known bug with the latest xubuntu. you can get it back by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 then Ctrl+Alt+F7 or switching to something other than lightdm
>>
Cursor bug is caused by shitty intel drivers and there is easy workaround for it. You can also switch virtual consoles and it will come back but that's no solution.
Yes, 16.04 is dogshit, either learn how to fix your shit or wait for 16.04.1. Don't bother with arch, looking how you struggle with Xubuntu you won't ever like it.
>>
Did you update it from 15.04? I know I did on Ubuntu and it fucked my shit up. Did a clean install and all the bugs magically disappeared.
>>
>>55125596
Actually the fix for it is switching to UXA acceleration method for intel driver, which literally requires 1 line of code added to config file.
>>
>>55125533
No, thank fuck.

>>55125556
Right? Something deeply wrong 'ere, I tells ya.

I'm glad some workarounds exist until a bugfix hits, but it's still a shower of shit. Shouldn't have to put up with this crap in 2016.
>>
>>55125671
I don't understand why UXA isn't the default on every distro. SNA is nothing but trouble and fuel for whiny tards.
>>
Lubuntu fo lyfe!
>>
>>55125497
made a clean install of 16.04 on a desktop computer and it seems to be running just fine. I haven't jumped from 15.10 because I'm lazy. Probably will try Arch given it just works on my thinkpad.
>>
I don't use linux anymore but never had this problem op.Maybe bad ISO or install. Mine always remebered the wifi pass after installation.

gl
>>
Almost never hear of the many people talk about it werking in their machine.
>>
>>55125497
Bro, get on the Ubuntu:Mate train! It's your best bet. And 16.04 is buggy as shit at the moment. Hopefully the point release will take care of those issues.
>>
>>55128905
That's the only Ubuntu I haven't tried yet, maybe I will now and let MATE take me back to the glory days.
>>
There is no reason to use xfce in a world where MATE exists.
>>
The new LTS is fucking terrible.
>>
Would manjaro be a good replacement?
>>
>>55129207
The desktop environment is the problem, not the Linux distro! Ubuntu GNOME is working flawlessly on my system.
>>
>>55125497

I know how you feel, I used to recommend xubuntu to everyone because it worked perfectly and did everything I needed. Every version after 14.04 has been shit. There's always something that doesn't work correctly.

For example, renaming files randomly crashes Thunar. This has been a known bug for months if not over a year and has not been fixed.
>>
>>55125497
Had to be an installation problem or your computer went off during an update? I have no idea but that's really abnormal. Reinstall that shit senpai.
>>
>>55125497
To be expected when xfce development has basically stopped
>>
>>55125533
Any one knows how to fix this?
>>
Would the suspend issue be caused by the light dm greeter?
>>55129733
I doubt it, it's still on launchpad with people still posting when the bug was filed back in early 2014.
>>
>>55129781
Sad
>>
>>55129781
I'm suspicious of lightdm also, it's been a little fucking shit for me on Antergos lately too.
>>
>>55129781
>>55130104
Never had a good experience with lightdm on xubuntu.

>>55125497
Just fuck xubuntu and xfce altogether. It was great once, but now it's a steaming pile of shit.
Why would you use it on a relevant machine anyway? It was good for resurrecting old pcs, but it isn't worth the hassle anymore.
>>
File: Facepalm-Meme-08.png (26 KB, 487x380) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm-Meme-08.png
26 KB, 487x380
>all this pleb tier shilling against xfce ITT
>>
>>55125533
I get this. It's kind of annoying.
>>
>>55130402
Xfce is a buggy mess
>>
>>55130402
Enjoy bugfixes that take roughly 4 years to make it outside of beta.
>>
dont forget the screentearing
>>
>>55125497

>LTS

Kek
>>
ive also had issues with xfce,
should i try cinnamon or gnome?
>>
>using amateur neckbeard *buntu variants instead of the real deal
>>
>>55131337
Cinnamon if you're a winblows loving cuck. Gnome is you're kewl.
>>
>>55131398
gnome is shit tho pham
>>
>>55129639
This. As everything changes around it, it'll slowly rot and get worse. Like that hooker in my van.
>>
>>55125497
>ctrl-f "gentoo"
>no results
What the fuck?
>>
>>55131449
Doubt he's up for configuring Openbox or anything else tho.
>>
>>55131454
Xfce development isn't stopped, just slow. Software don't expire so i don't care.
>>
>>55125533
The is why dumped DE altogether. XFCE was the one and I can't use it without whisker-menu
>>
can you still use a mouse with a tiling wm or do u have to do everything by keyboard shortcuts?
>>
>>55125497
>he fell for the xfce meme
lmao
>>
>>55132087
This.
Nigga install Lubuntu.
>>
>>55132586
That's worse.
>>
I didn't have a good experience with XFCE either.
>>
Is there any reason why xubongo would cause chromium to crash all the fucking time?

Seriously thinking about switching to Fedora because of this. I cant fucking watch youtube and have 4chan open without chromium either freezing or having tabs crash. Its not chromium because i didnt have this issue on windows.
>>
>>55132612
This. The only good DE is mate.
>>
>>55125533
this has been a bug for a while, it's retarded

I like XFCE, but some of the bugs are really dumb. I stopped putting icons on my desktop with it entirely because it'd leave droppings when I dragged them around.

>>55132651
it's been a while since I bothered with Chromium on Linux, I distinctly remembered it getting worse and worse each release there (IIRC, it was like version 28 or 30 when I dropped it, somewhere around there)
it gradually stopped using native controls and all kind of dumb shit and eventually got slow as fuck
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.