[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the pros and cons of various operating systems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1399341891197.jpg (169 KB, 487x740) Image search: [Google]
1399341891197.jpg
169 KB, 487x740
What are the pros and cons of various operating systems like Linux based systems, BSD, Windows, OSx, templeOS, MenuetOS? Including the many others that I've missed.
>>
>>55120365

>Ubuntu
>Pro: Just works, hardware compatiblity, fonts
>Con: No software

>FreeBSD
>Pro: Secure
>Con: No software

>Windows
>Pro: All the software
>Cons: Costs money, fonts, vulnerable

>MacOS
>Pro: Just works, some software
>Cons: No hardware support, being closed down in time

>TempleOS
>Pro: Learning?
>Cons: No internet

Disclaimer: I used Ubuntu because Linux alone is not an OS
>>
>>55120365
I use windows on top of Linux to get the best out of both. Linux is my primary, for security and privacy, windows in a VM for Office suite
>>
>>55120447
That's why I said Linux based systems
>>
>>55120365
>GNU/Linux
>P: fast
>P: you can change anything imaginable
>P: respects your freedom
>P: good for servers
>P: tons of free(libre) software
>C: opengl kinda sucks

>FreeBSD
>P: fast
>P: change anything imagineable
>C: not as much software as GNU/Linux
>C: pushover license
>P: respects your freedom

>Windows
>C: proprietar
>C: infested with back doors
>C: has the motherload of software, but is usually proprietary freeware
>P: DirectX is ok
>C: extremely susceptible to viruses
>C: only supports ntfs and fat

>MacOS
see >>BSD

>TempleOS
Temple OS is not intended to be used as an operating system, but as developer toy box, and a tool to talk to God.
>>
File: 1439852716512.jpg (19 KB, 389x257) Image search: [Google]
1439852716512.jpg
19 KB, 389x257
>>55120365
>Linux based systems
Pros: modularity, customization, stability (with no gui and limited packages and services), good security if you know how to set it up
Cons: usability is all over the board, stability goes completely out the window when loaded with packages, security is dependent heavily on your own competency

>BSD
Pros: security by design
Cons: literally zero software and near useless outside of a limited handful of server services

>Windows
Pros: universal software support, universal hardware support, 24 hour response times to any security breach
Cons: that 24 hour response time is a requirement due to being 99% marketshare and being the world's largest target, and even 24 hours is enough time for a breach to do real damage, always have to be on alert and up to date on patching

>OSx
Pros: somewhat decent software library, software ecosystem works together easily with little configuration, easy to set up for technologically incompetents
Cons: extremely limited in functionality, locked out of your own hardware, security risks are ignored for weeks, months, and years because Apple just doesn't give a shit

>templeOS, MenuetOS
Pros: none
Cons: meme OSs
>>
>>55120534
Then be more specific im not listing them all
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.