[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what was using linux like during the 1990s and really early 2000s?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: qt yuno.png (701 KB, 1000x1175) Image search: [Google]
qt yuno.png
701 KB, 1000x1175
what was using linux like during the 1990s and really early 2000s?
>>
>>55119763
It was like using Windows, except you had to do everything yourself over the phone.
>>
>>55119763
Better because there was no pulseaudio or systemd.
>>
Ugly as sin with a lot of file permission changes via terminal. I only ever used it for academic purposes because there was no other attraction for me to play around.
>>
>>55119763
worse because nothing worked right and no one knew why
>>
>>55119821
I know why
>>
>>55119821
This was true even from installation. I bought a big guide to Red Hat from the bookstore that came with a CD. Followed every instruction to the letter, tried over and over throughout the course of a month, fiddled with every little aspect of the disk and partitions...nothing. I wanted it so badly that I wonder whether my life would have taken a different route if I had the opportunity to chew through that book and learn. Instead I spent time learning about this thing they used in business called Windows NT.
>>
File: 1382678454911.gif (109 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
1382678454911.gif
109 KB, 209x193
hard
tons of hardware just didn't work. LILO was a piece of shit. XFree86 was also a huge piece of shit that requried arcane configuration known neither to man nor beast.
>>
>>55119899
glad we've made no progress in wifi stick drivers since then :^
>>
>>55119763
>install linux
>change one harmless setting somewhere like wallpaper or location of taskbar
>entire system hangs, freezes, and refuses to boot

Basically the same as it is now.
>>
>>55119763

my first experience was with slackware in 1996, which I installed with 14 floppies.

I also bought a corel linux box package.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.