[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sqt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: dwight2.jpg (89 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
dwight2.jpg
89 KB, 1000x500
Small Questions Thread
>>
Is it too late to get into x99 platform. Or is intel moving away from it?
>>
cpu cooler

what is better, push or pull for the fan? is there even a difference?
>>
>>55119098
This question
>>55119179
Let the tread die though please.
>>
Would a FireWire 800 RAID5 enclosure be a good idea or should I just upgrade to a case with more drive bays?
>>
>>55119214
pull/push air away from the cpu
t. mechanical engineer
>>
File: DjLSrBp.jpg (65 KB, 609x451) Image search: [Google]
DjLSrBp.jpg
65 KB, 609x451
So internet is dropping from my PC.

All of our connected TV's, phone, tablets laptop work expect my fucking computer.

It's also connected wireless and the modem is 10 feet away from my computer, we have 50mpbs and the TV takes roughly 10mpb (I dont know how to accurately measure this, my isp tech just said it takes 10mpbs and the tv is at 1080p)
>>
>>55119214
There isn't a big difference though I think push is the preferred method.
>>
I am having some weird issues. I have a wifi modem setup. Internet is connected and when phones connect to the wifi they can get through fine.
However an ipad and a laptop (thinkpad with win10) are both unable to get internet. They will connect to the wifi but it just says "No Internet, secured."

Anybody know what could be going on? I am literally on the other side of the planet from these people and cannot speak the language the modem so it is a bit tricky trying to troubleshoot this.
>>
>>55119098
reposting

guy with the German windows 7 here from the last thread, everything was going ok until I tried to install a certain driver to the computer.

after the restart my mouse no longer works and neither does my keyboard. they both have lights and neither turns on.

putting the computer in a certain safe mode, don't know which, its in german, allows me to use the mouse and keyboard again and I can use the mouse and keyboard just fine in bios as well

I tried a super simple usb mouse and it still wouldn't work

the mouse I was using before had a super faint flutter of light when I pressed down the left click key but still didn't didn't light up after

pulling out and plugging in the keyboard will make it light up again but the light goes out and I still can't do anything
>>
>>55119267
Probably network card problems, take it for repair or if you still have warranty send it
>>
>>55119351

Can't I buy a new one?
>>
If I'm playing a game and I get a minimum frame rate of 50 fps and a max of 70 fps, will capping at 60 fps result in less frame drops to down to 50?
>>
>>55119450
no
>>
>>55119467
Not even a little bit? Doesn't it free up some resources?
>>
File: thumbs up smile.jpg (19 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up smile.jpg
19 KB, 467x460
>>55119261
>>55119285
thanks mates

i was asking because my cooler is currently blocking one of the ram slots, if i put the fan on the other side it would fit.

i'll put it on the other side and check the temps again
>>
>>55119482
>>55119450
if the drops happen because graphics more intensive, then you won't see a change. drops are normal.

if the drops happen because the gpu gets too hot and starts throttling, capping the fps should help a bit.
>>
Is there a program that will automatically reverse image search all files in a folder and replace with higher resolution/lower file size if found?
>>
Do straight guys prefer softer beds?
>>
File: 51Ss52nxw3L.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51Ss52nxw3L.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
>>55119224
I'll just repost it here

Simple question, should I?
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XS423SC
I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck large as hell HDD to store movies and crap on.

I wont have any games on it, so as far as I know speed isn't a big deal (right?). It will be nothing but PDFs, movies, and other non-active crap.

I'm currently trying to decide between it and a WD blue 6TB for $199 since it has much better reviews.

Open to suggestions though, I know just about nothing.
>>
Do most routers have a limited-length [and relevantly short] event log?

The one in this specific case is a Plusnet Hub One.

Staying with family for a while, bit paranoid they might eventually look through things. Can't get the admin password to clear it, but if it's limited-length there's no problem.
>>
>>55119620
Do you not have something in a different location you can ssh tunnel your web through? Or how about only visiting wholesome math and language learning websites for a change?
>>
how do I disable download auto-start in Firefox? I don't know why but sometimes when I click a download link, even if I didn't choose the save location yet, nor which program to use to open the file, the download starts in background automatically.
>>
Is the gentoomen library torrent at https://g.sicp.me/books/ still alive? I'm getting a tracker error.
>>
Currently looking to get a 512GB-1TB SSD.
Any of the more known companies and specific models I should avoid?
>>
File: 1466120395435.jpg (22 KB, 600x578) Image search: [Google]
1466120395435.jpg
22 KB, 600x578
Is it safe to run a 1920x1080@60 IPS monitor at 1600x900@75?

Will it explode?
>>
>>55119658
avoid anything that isn't samsung or intel, but especially avoid kingston.
>>
W8 install came with a 20 GB recovery partition at the end of the drive, but it's only using 12 GB. Can I resize it to 12 GB, move it to the end of the disk and get those additional 8 GB of storage without fucking anything up?

My intuition says 'yes' but I always like to double check with you guys.
>>
Hey /g/, I simply don't have the time to build a new computer from scratch for the first time. Is there a recent list for recommended prebuilt computers? Do you guys have any recommendations for decent, general PC that can run games in the 1000-1500 price range?
>>
>>55119662
It will look like shit or just say "out of range"
>>
>>55119639
>Do you not have something in a different location you can ssh tunnel your web through?
if I'd had some foresight, maybe.

>Or how about only visiting wholesome math and language learning websites for a change?
Sometimes brain is tired and just wants tits.

Am I fucked in terms of just pushing things out of the logs with new connections?
>>
>>55119673
>I simply don't have the time to build a new computer from scratch for the first time.
then buy your parts at a shop that will assemble your pc for like 25 dollars.

prebuilts have shit tier mobos and powersupplies, that's why they never list them. only complete fucking fools would buy a prebuilt.
>>
>>55119673
You have time to stick some Duplos together. It's so simple, even gamers can do it.
>>
>>55119676
It works and it's noticeably smoother than 60hz but do I risk damaging the monitor?
>>
File: original.jpg (100 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
100 KB, 473x500
>>55119673
What will you doing with this computer you don't have time to assemble?
>>
>>55119698
I wouldn't worry about it. 1080 monitors are cheap.
>>
>>55119597
I've got a few. You need to know what you're getting. First batch had a huge reject rate but the v2 fixed this: still as with all hard disks look out for rejects in the first 2 weeks of life especially.

Reads at 250-300MB/s sequential. New writes at 90-150MB/s. Updates and overwrites can get into the sub 1MB/s bracket. ALWAYS use a journaled fs, I suggest btrfs but ZFS may work, and set ssd like it was not rotational: don't go trying defragmentation, it won't like it. Drive is not a 1:1 sector mapping but has a low density area for new writes before it migrates that data to the SMR areas. Do NOT slap it in a traditional RAID array which needs to write whole drives to rebuild, bail out on rereads/timeouts, etc, as the drive has a 600 second timeout and is not guaranteed to survive a whole continuous write in extreme circumstances.

If you write once, read many, it'll be fine. If you are using it to store your chinese cartoon collection and have backups, you'll be fine. If you have updates to the files frequently or want to out an OS on it or any kind of general use, pick another drive.
>>
>>55119693
>>55119706
>>55119694
I kinda expected this sort of response. It's just that I'm sort of intimidated by the whole idea of building a pc. I'm shitty at most DIY stuff and I'm terrified of fucking it up and wasting money. Are prebuilt pcs really that bad? Is there a way I could do this building shit through a third party or something? I really don't trust myself to do it
>>
>>55119597
Following up on above: the WD Blues are really Greens now. Avoid. Either Red, HGST Ultrastar, or go for the Archive drive which should be fine for your use.

Don't trust any of them to stay alive too much.
>>
>>55119804
>Are prebuilt pcs really that bad
They are good facebook machines.
>>
Guys my entire Settings thingy disappeared from Windows 10. Along with it Windows Update too.
>>
>>55119251
if it's purely for bulk storage then an external enclosure over firewire isn't too terrible. look at the node 804 though if you do decide to just add a card and replace your case.

>>55119267
did you even try to troubleshoot? leave continuous pings running to your router, another device on your lan, and something on the public internet and then see what happens next time it "drops".

>>55119324
what was the driver? anything to do with your usb controller? uninstall it or roll back with system recovery if you have it enabled. another old trick is to open up device manager, view devices by connections, run " shutdown -r -f -t 300" in a terminal, and then right-click and uninstall your pci bus. the computer will then reboot and redetect and reinstall your hardware.

>>55119597
relying on a single drive to store this much data is a terrible idea - it will fail and you'll lose everything. ideally you want raid5 with a hotspare but if you're poor then i guess you could just buy two drives and either relicate or raid1 them. use crystal disk info once per month to check if either drive is dying and replace immediately at the first sign of failure.

>>55119620
most home routers don't have any sort of event log - you only really see this on enterprise gear and even then it's extremely limited in length so you need to send it to a syslog server to do anything meaningful. did you download that manual for the router you have? does that make any mention of logs?

>>55119666
do you even need the recovery partition? it's just as easy to reinstall from a flash drive. you can probably reclaim some more disk space by using ccleaner and then having a dig around with treesize free, although it does sound like you might just need a bigger drive.
>>
>>55119830
>do you even need the recovery partition? it's just as easy to reinstall from a flash drive. you can probably reclaim some more disk space by using ccleaner and then having a dig around with treesize free, although it does sound like you might just need a bigger drive.
You didn't answer the question, but ok. I want to keep it just in case. I'm not short on storage space, I'm just that big of a jew.
>>
Which font should I use when LaTeXing letters to old people? Comic Sans is what they like?
>>
>>55119830
>most home routers don't have any sort of event log - you only really see this on enterprise gear and even then it's extremely limited in length so you need to send it to a syslog server to do anything meaningful.
What I can find in documentation is ridiculously sparse, but it does make mention of an event log here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-user-guide.shtml
>You'll also find useful information about your Hub in the Helpdesk section (which will help if you need to contact our Support Team) and a copy of your Hub's event log.
>>
>>55119098
Any advice on parts? I'm pretty happy with it so far but any input before I actually start buying the stuff would be appreciated. http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/bLcLkT
>>
>>55119830

>leave continuous pings running to your router, another device on your lan, and something on the public internet and then see what happens next time it "drops".

Literally don't know how to do this
>>
>>55119854
well you could shrink it but I think a better idea would be to write a windows iso to a flash disk along with a copy of your nic driver, and then delete the recovery partition (you'll need to use diskpart).

>>55119885
going by that i'd say that the support log just contains troubleshooting information about the actual broadband connectivity. it's highly unlikely that it contains anything about your browsing history.

>>55119949
well perhaps the technology board is not for you.
>>
what's the upper limit of how much javascript can be run on a page? hundreds of MB? gigs?

why are most facilities of the browser/web (poorly|un)documented?

am I expected to "just know" everything? is making unfounded assumptions what smart people do?

how/when/where are open source "communities" formed? how do I join one?

where can I find a mentor/friend/source of inspiration?

what if i don't want to write tests?

what if I don't think oop is a good idea?

is there any hope? does elon musk really think that mars will be terraformed in his lifetime and that AI can become sentient and destroy humanity?

why is there such disparity between the haves and the have-nots when it comes to technology?

why do most programs have such a problem with displaying or allowing the user to interact with extremely long strings of text but not with storing/manipulating that data in memory, or with other large data? (video, complex 3d simulations, etc)

how is it that every single idea I've ever had has been done? (and better than I could ever hope to accomplish)

how are there so many software companies? what keeps them in business?

what is the definition of "modern"?

what happens if you violate a code of conduct? a license? a patent?

why, when startups go out of business or, for example, when google kills a "product" do they do so quietly and not release source code?

what if I don't give a fuck about internationalization, accessibility, or backwards/forwards compatibility?

is copying and pasting a form of code reuse?

what's the point of the captcha if the botnet already knows the answer? how does it benefit them for me to "please solve more"?

please respond
>>
>>55120024
>well you could shrink it but I think a better idea would be to write a windows iso to a flash disk along with a copy of your nic driver, and then delete the recovery partition (you'll need to use diskpart).
I guess the sane thing to do is just dd the current OS partition to a flashdrive, but if I don't want it to be very big I'd have to remove all programs and bloat before doing so. Is this the right way to do it?
>>
>>55120082
yes
>>
>>55119884
>Which font should I use when LaTeXing letters to old people? Comic Sans is what they like?
Tryhard
>>
>>55120024

...what

Is this not what sqt is for?
>>
Is it possible for me to install MPC on my laptop and have it connect to MPD that's running on my desktop, or will i need to have mpd+mpc on both systems?
>>
>>55119287
Anyhume?
>>
I have a free server on amazon ec2
I don't remember what I did with it but now I can't rdp into it
I haven't touched the inbound rules
why won't it connect
>>
>>55120197
solved it.

mpc --host desktop-ip command

Still havent found out how to set it by default so ncmpcpp works.
>>
File: file.png (9 KB, 1301x279) Image search: [Google]
file.png
9 KB, 1301x279
>>55120235
the rules
>>
Is Mionix Naos 7000 worth 10-15 bucks more over Steelseries Rival 300?
>>
I'm doing a fresh Win7 install on a Dell Inspiron 15R- 5537, and I'm having a bitch of a time getting working Wifi drivers for it. After trying all the obvious fixes, including using a USB wifi adapter, nothing seems to be working.

The USB adapter isn't responding at all to being plugged in when it works fine on my desktop and I've made sure the USB port itself works obviously.

Every time I try to install the drivers for the onboard card it gives me an error.

I'm wondering why it would be utterly failing to recognize not only the onboard adapter but my USB one too (Obviously I've installed the drivers for the USB one, without luck.)
>>
File: TA_General Strike_Sabo Cat.jpg (359 KB, 1281x1980) Image search: [Google]
TA_General Strike_Sabo Cat.jpg
359 KB, 1281x1980
Should I decorate my laptop with this?
>>
I've setup my second monitor connected to my laptop well enough. I'm using debian and a little fooling with xrandr and it works well enough, but if I use the monitor exclusively after a while the laptop screen turns off.
Running the "xrandr" command as root shows "No protocol specified, can't open display". Running it not as root shows it working as normal, but obviously it isn't. Touching the laptop keyboard does nothing.
Honestly, I don't get why everything has to be such a struggle, literally it should just werk.
>>
>>55120362
No
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 468x212) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 468x212
>>55120322
After trying a different driver I've had this come up.

Do I need to change how my harddive is partitioned or something?
>>
>>55119781
>>55119819
Thank you for all the advice, as you can probably tell I'm fairly dumb as fuck with computers.
Few followups
>Don't trust any of them to stay alive too much.
Like what kind of a life are we talking? I've somehow managed to avoid literally any harddirve failures, I still have, and use, my first hard drive.
The thing is immortal I swear.
>Power On Count 9344 times
>Power On Time 1978.4 days
Just jinxed myself I bet.
Other than that I have 2 WD 1TB blues that I've had for a good while now with no problems

As for WD blue are greens now, what exactly do you mean?
What is the ACTUAL difference between all the colors? red/blue/black/green/purple, I know what they claim and all but what are they really?

>ALWAYS use a journaled fs, I suggest btrfs but ZFS may work
These might as well be magic words to me, I'll read up more on those spells
> don't go trying defragmentation,
I generally don't do things I don't understand, tends to help me not break shit. So no worries there

If you write once, read many, it'll be fine.
Now when you say that would putting new files on there a few times a day or so, but not changing them once they are on there, is that writing a lot?
Basically do you mean doing any activity on a drive, or only messing with files on it?
>>
>>55120362
No, but you should probably kill yourself.
>>
Can anyone recommend me a good pdf reader for OS X?
The current one is horrible to write LaTeX in, since it does not update the text and is super bloated.

If possible, anything like Sumtra PDF would be super good!
>>
File: Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg (52 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg
52 KB, 500x329
>>55120561
>>>/hm/
>>
>>55120586
Hi summer
>>
>>55119398
just grab a cheap intel pro/1000 or broadcom bcm5751

>>55119269
probably, if you have no warranty and no money its time for the hot air gun
>>
My HDD started to click.
It still functions but I reckon it will fail soon
What's the best way to safely clean and format it so I can throw it away?
>>
>>55120586
How is asking for a good pdf reader shitposting you cocksucker?
>>
>>55120623
Fuck off shitposter
>>
>>55120635
>fuck off shitposter
nah mate you fuck off, go suck Stallmans cock you babby
enjoy your NEET life
>>
>>55120623
Because some random kid somewhere on the Internet thinks he gets to decide what's technology and what's not.
>>
>>55120644
This is the world we live in.
>>
>>55119098
1. Why Mega have to force people use their client when downloading via mobile
2. Is it possible to use Microsoft Office IME 2010 on Win8/10? Win8/10 come with higher version of same software so direct attempt to install Office IME 2010 onto those OSs would result in error, but the newer version preinstalled on the two OSs are missing some functionality. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/when-will-the-cantonese-input-method-be-available/9eb2d03c-e326-4eb6-9f72-c1320e32102b for further detail.
3.My mobile operator banned VPN usage because they think using VPN enable tethering. How to browse Japan-only site via their network? Without changing to other operators/plans, because those other operators charge 3x more while giving 1/3 as much data with a 1/2 speed cap.
4.Is the use of q value in accept language field not supported by IE11?
5.How to prevent sites/apps does not support my language setting zh-HK fall back to zh instead of zh-Hant? Especially on mobile Android devices where you can only pick one language as system language.
6.How to represent a document with a mixture of two different languages in IETF language tag? Note that the two language is snot used side by side, instead they are used in a fashion like "Watashi's favourite keitai manufacturer wa Apple desu."
7.When Win8's dwm.exe (desktop window manager?) killed itself due to lack of memory, and then using taskmgr > start new task > dwm.exe give no response, how to restart the process?
8.I heard that Symbian were once opensource half decades ago, why no one port that to other phones?
9.How do I keep multiple (three) IC cards in my wallet and prevent them from interfering each other while still allow them to work when I tap them onto individual card's reader?
10.How to post on Japanese sites like 2ch outside Japan without buying their pass? They block foreign IP and also vpn
11.Is it legal/possible to invest in US stock without revealing my actual identity?
>>
>>55120652
Just report him and carry on, mods/janitors will eventually take care of it
>>
File: thisgameistooeasy.jpg (36 KB, 624x349) Image search: [Google]
thisgameistooeasy.jpg
36 KB, 624x349
>>55120669
>dynamic IP
>>
>>55120683
I wasn't even expecting them to ban you, I was more referring to them deleting your shitposts.
>>
>>55120669
>him
>assuming everyone is your "default person"
You are contributing to a hostile environment for women, sithlord.
>>
when you feel shitty about procrastinating but also can't get yourself to work. How do you get rid of this feeling anons, it's been haunting me forever.
>>
I got an XFX HD 7970 Ghz Ed. for free.

It holds up well enough with newer games at 1080p, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to go for a Crossfire setup. A used 7970 or a 280X already costs less than the 480's MSRP and I imagine those prices will be pushed lower when the 480 comes out.

Or is Crossfire never worth it and my money would be better spent on a 480?
>>
>>55119098
12. Is there any dedicated music player with large enough storage space that can replace an iPod Classic?
13. Is there any tools that can allow mass upload of pictures in a folder onto a mediawiki wikifarm? Givan I can only access its database via interfaces provided by mediawiki
14. For Nokia N1 tablet, it use USB type C connector but only support upto the speed that is equivalent to USB 2.0. Which pins have been actually wired in the tablet's socket?
15. Is Apple still releasing new Darwin OS and do they have any actual value nowadays?
16. I have a few Android 2.1-2.3 devices stuck in infinite boot loop, including LG E720 and Sharp 007sh, how to resolve the problem? I read that it's possible to use recovery but i can't seems to find a recovery for 007sh.
17. My mom's phone (Xiaomi Redmi original edition running Anddoid - MIUI) keep getting tons of force close without changing any setting beforehand. Local phone shop ppl said it is because of a virus and the only way to deal with it is to wipe the phone. Is there any method to stop those force close from happening and get the contact info out? They are neither stored on sim card nor synced to cloud. The current status of the phone make it impossible to access any menu in the phone.
>>
File: 1433970530344.jpg (42 KB, 495x390) Image search: [Google]
1433970530344.jpg
42 KB, 495x390
>>55120709
It saddens me that there are people who actually think this way.
>>
>>55120729
>Crossfire
You'll get caught up in it.
>>
>>55120131
thx
>>
>>55120738
>12. Is there any dedicated music player with large enough storage space that can replace an iPod Classic?
Why would you want something other than the iPod Classic?
>15. Is Apple still releasing new Darwin OS
They release the source code. Darwin 8 was the last version to have an ISO rekeased
>>
>>55120661
>1
file buffer size for browsers, or something like that
>2
probably not.
>3
probably not at all.
>4
no clue, no one uses it anyway
>5
there might be an app. that's your only chance.
>6
latex maybe? don't understand the question.
>7
you don't. It's windows.
>8
no clue.
>9
tin foil. the third one, I dunno. you might have to open it a little.
>10
there's a website that I don't remember.
>11
extremely doubtful. Do janky stuff through auxiliaries, of your own or others.
>>
I'm using a friend's laptop for a new job, they're letting me do whatever with it with the stipulation that I have to use Win 8.1 since they're normie scum that don't want me using "pirated" software.

Any way to make Win. 8.1 as AIDS-free as possible?
>>
>>55120642
Are you 11 years old?
>>
>>55120786
lol yea, some tard derails my question and I'm 11 as fuck.
kys
>>
it's been a while...is using tor with a vpn still untraceable or has a new method come up for the super paranoid?
>>
>>55120811
What's worked for me is not being a pedophile.
>>
>>55120738
>12
anything with a little storage and a 128gb sd card.
>13
linux has CLI for that sort of thing.
>14
not the right ones. whatever spec they used it was probably cheap.
>15
no idea
>16
if XDA doesn't have it no one does. XDA has it somewhere.
>17
pony up for a compatible cable and pull everything off. there has to be some GUI or other to do that sort of thing.
>>
Where do yall buy your hardware/peripherals? any good deals outside of Newegg?
>>
>>55120824
I'm not a pedophile nor do i deal in drugs or illegal things. I just like knowing how things work
>>
>>55120840
r/buildapcsales
>>
Anyone have a Z210? Looking for an aftermarket cooler and I'm not really sure if a backplate fits behind the motherboard. Also difference between CM 212 Evo and 412S? Thanks!
>>
Do you pronounce the SE in SUSE with an s sound or a z sound?
>>
>>55120729
pls help
>>
>>55120718
Cocaine or amphetamines
>>
>>55120884
It's only been 17 mins since you posted you fucking impatient spaz.

I'm not even going to answer you now.
>>
>>55120777
1. But in desktop mode they work just as fine as desktop browsers
6. With the use of IETF language tag, you can label an English document as en and a French document as fr, and then there are numerous extension and such to represent specifically how a document is written
>>55120826
13. Can you provide more hints or link for that?
16. Is there any methods other than recovery?
17. I can't think of a method that can access contact via usb....
>>55120771
12.It can't last forever
15.Then is those source codes still relevant to anyone ?
>>
Starting new company for ~10 people.

Win 10 or Win7?

Is it possible to get cracked win7 and install to w10 for free, like we can do at home? I'm still at 7 so i don't know
>>
>>55120905
Does cocaine make you happy?
>>
>>55120978
Let's pretend I'm the next edward snowden or i hacked and found hillary cliton and donald trump's sex tape, what then?

I'm not even close to a political career but i like to have contingency plans
>>
Is there anything I can do to keep away songbirds? They're very annoying.
>>
>>55120959
Yes you can but I'd Google the upgrade deadline, I know its soon. I recommend windows seven, its easier to use, and better looking unless you like minimalistic designs for autistic children who can't speak.
>>
>>55121011
Move
>>
>>55121011
>gun
>bb gun
>diy blowgun with metal darts
>>
Why won't Yahoo let me check my mail when I'm on le VPN?
>>
>>55121055
Why does blowgun need to be DIY when I can just buy one?
>>
>>55121061
>le
nice meme
>>
>>55121074
Thank you, but you didn't answer le question.
>>
>>55121066
it's an overpriced tube, anon
>>
>>55119450
Yes.

Instead of your FX card busting a gut to get Max FPS constantly it'll take a break when it gets to 60.

This gives it more time to render difficult frames.
>>
>>55121095
OP forgot to include this
>you are NOT entitled to an answer
>>
File: slightly confused miyako.jpg (335 KB, 454x558) Image search: [Google]
slightly confused miyako.jpg
335 KB, 454x558
do you think in the future hyperintelligent operating systems will wonder if they are running in a VM like humans today wonder if the universe is a hologram
>>
>>55121132
Where would I get tube of the correct diameter? I don't think Home Depot sells PVC that narrow.
>>
File: m-45g_quad_50.jpg (904 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
m-45g_quad_50.jpg
904 KB, 2272x1704
>>55121011
Anything else and you simply lack conviction.
>>
File: 1412340841282.jpg (70 KB, 627x310) Image search: [Google]
1412340841282.jpg
70 KB, 627x310
>>55121149
pic reminds me of a Katy I met on a GBA JRPG phpbb site and chatted with on AIM when I was 12-13
>>
File: mshv-overview.png (61 KB, 1170x501) Image search: [Google]
mshv-overview.png
61 KB, 1170x501
I currently have a Hyper-V host with VMs splitted on like 3 different tiny SSDs. I want to replace them with a single one.
What ~250GB SSD can you recommend?
>>
File: jpg.jpg (68 KB, 720x1026) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
68 KB, 720x1026
>>55121145
OP forgot to include this
>no shitposting

With all the time you wasted calling out le ebin maymay you could of actually contributed.

>>55121154
Pic related, it's Home Depot's PVC sizes
>>
is there a way I could bring my own prefered keyboard layout onto someone elses laptop via some usb program and when I take the usb out its gone?
>>
File: ysfgjcepaextghbnlnpl.jpg (173 KB, 800x882) Image search: [Google]
ysfgjcepaextghbnlnpl.jpg
173 KB, 800x882
>>55121203
>>
>>55121219
?
>>
Riddle me this:

I have a desktop computer, on which I run OS X and Windows 10, at some time I also had Linux Mint installed.

I've got RGB LEDs on the back of my monitor, they're powered by one of the USB ports on the back of the motherboard.

Whenever I shut down OS X or Linux, the LEDs would turn off together with the power indicator LED on the case.

When I shut down Windows 10, the power indicator on the case turns off, so no doubt the computer is turned off, but the LEDs still stay on. I haven't checked if they'd still turn off after some time, but they stay on for at least a half a minute after powering down the computer from windows 10, but turn off right away when powering down from linux or os x.

Why?
>>
>>55121011
What kind of faggot are you that doesn't appreciate birds. Move to the antarctic or something, last I checked penguins don't sing.
>>
ANybody tried downgrading a windows7 enterprise to Pro ? The laptop also has a win 7 sticker on it.
I want to repair the installation, but can't without the enterprise credentials which are long gone.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>55121278
win 7 pro sticker on it *
>>
I'm using an Alfa antenna cause wifi is low where my main pc is.
Does the heat affect performances? I usually have lag spikes in some games.
>>
Where the hell are the aftermarket 1080s already? It's been 3 weeks now.
>>
File: slant.jpg (65 KB, 620x336) Image search: [Google]
slant.jpg
65 KB, 620x336
>>55121178
bump.
tl;dr what is the cheapest but still good ~250GB SSD
>>
>>55120784
What exactly is your problem with win8? Just use classic start menu and you dont have to look at that metro menu ever again
>>
>>55120959
>Starting new company for ~10 people.
>Win 10 or Win7?
Mac
>>
>>55120795
Are you 12?
>>
>>55119098
What's a good name for my new software? it converts files to 4chan compatible webm, for lulz
>>
>>55120795
Reported
>>
>>55121389
>Upstart
>Mac

He'd blow through all of his capitol.
>>
>>55121320
Kingdian S280,240gb

Check /csg/
>>
>>55121397
Baconverter
>>
>>55120510
Anyone willing to answer my retarded pile of followup questions?
>>
is my gpu too hot
>>
>>55121850
It should never be above 22 degrees.
>>
Re-ask: How to enable dual access across different mobile network on a dual sim phone?
>>
>>55121850
Slightly. I usually adjust my fans in such way that my gpu never goes above 70-72C under full load.
>>
>>55121900
>It should never be above 22 degrees.
What kind of fucking liquid nitrogen cooling system are you running?
>>
>>55119662
why do you want to do that in the first place?
>>
File: 41mRsRockdL._SX425_.jpg (13 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
41mRsRockdL._SX425_.jpg
13 KB, 425x283
hi /g/, i have a set of speakers. something like this, it's pretty cheap but the right tweeter stopped properly working, as in it's too soft compared to everything else.

I'm not sure I'll be able to troubleshoot this, so my question is, can I buy any other pair of tweeters and plug them into the big subwoofer?
>>
>>55122840
Depends on the exact make and model of your speaker set, but probably not. You'd need to find another """"""tweeter"""""" (it's actually a full range speaker) with the same cut off point as your current set. It'd also have to be matched to the left speaker for it to sound half way decent.

You'd be better off just buying a new set since as you said yourself, they were cheap anyway.
>>
>>55122840
Now would be a good time to get some real speakers? Big speakers are not louder, just wider. And often softer so they don't annoy people. They push instead of punch.
>>
>>55122852
yeah sorry, these aren't tweeters.

>>55122855
I'm okay with having cheapo speakers just so that I don't have to wear headphones (which by the way have also fallen into disrepair, I'll probably have to make another post for it).
>>
is Acer Predator XB271HU worth buying or are the some cheaper alternatives that would be as good but cheaper?
900€ seems like an awful lot for a monitor.
>>
>>55122994
I wouldn't get that because it's overtly gamer and the red feet don't match everything.
>>
>>55120784
voat aegis + classic shell
>>
>>55123019
getting a monitor mount as well so the red feet aren't an issue
>>
>>55122855
actually which real speakers are you talking about here
>>
>>55123111
The kind that have a woofer and tweeter instead of just a jack of no trades and bad subwoofer to compensate for the lack of woofers.
>>
>>55123136
how about some nice names? models?

I also make music but I'm not willing to spend on 'monitor' or 'bookshelf' speakers just yet, my room would have to be acoustically treated to be ready for that
>>
>>55123153
You don't need acoustic treatment for cheap bookshelf speakers. They're the minimum you should have for anything.
>>
I need a compact graphics card. Should I wait to see if the RX series will have any, or should I just get one now? And if I should get one now, which one?
>>
>>55123174
I used to do most of my work on my headphones which are now broken.

I know, bad practice and all that, but okay
>>
>>55123175
Why does it need to be compact? Make sure you have enough PSU for it if installing in one of those slim prebuilts.
>>
Hey /g/, any tool for someone pretty tech illiterate on Windows that can reduce file size on videos?
>>
>>55123194
I upgraded the PSU the last time I added a graphics card, but that's outdated now and I need a new one (under 200). Size is the only thing thats constraining.
>>
>>55123273
Are you aware the parts don't need to stay in that case, or any case?
>>
>>55121278
http://mp7000.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Enterprise-Downgrade-159805048
or changing the registry works, had problems with the chosen win 7 pro image, had to find an older one, then a bigger flash drive... and hte installation is slow as fuck. hope it works ok

what was the recommended free antivirus, which is unobtrusive running in gaming mode ? avira or avast ?
>>
Which linux distro is best for my shitty old 2007 macbook?

Just want something that twerks so I can shitpost and watch jewtube.
>>
>>55123304
No, how?
>>
asked before but nobody responded

If a GPU usually uses 150w but an aftermarket one comes out with the ability to use more wattage what does that mean? It will use 150w but if you overclock it hardcore it might use 230w?

Or will it go up to 230w by default when under 100% load?
>>
Hey /g/,
I was putting my CPU in its socket, but I fucked up, and it was misplaced, and some of the sockets' pins are crushed.
Is there any way to fix this, or do i have to get another motherboard?
>>
>>55123371
>>>/g/fglt/
>>
>>55123467
That can happen with LGA?
>>
>>55123371
Does that have a Core2Duo and intel GMA 950? It's going to struggle with even 720p youtube no matter what you install. It doesn't matter much which bistro you choose. Just pick a lighter interface.
>>
>>55123480
Apparently, yes. It's an LGA 1151 socket
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-17+at+07.11.45).png (40 KB, 592x520) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-17+at+07.11.45).png
40 KB, 592x520
I ordered a kindle and I'm amassing collections of e-books in preparation. But they all come in separate folders. Assuming that I need to put just the .mobi file on my kindle (I don't have it yet, it will arrive in a couple of days), is there a way to extract all of these folders into one folder to expedite the process? A cursory glance of 7-zip didn't reveal such a technique. If the kindle works with the current folder structure, that's great.
>>
If I'm not gud enough at math right now, will my community college reject me from attempting a CS course or stick me in a class with Mexicans? I'm refreshing as fast as I can D:
>>
File: jpg.png (24 KB, 710x527) Image search: [Google]
jpg.png
24 KB, 710x527
My internet stopped working for certain websites and I don't know why. I think my ISP may have fucked up as they messed up on switching an internet plan, but I don't know how this could have resulted from it.

I've tried switching to google DNS with same result. Sometimes I can ping google and sometimes I can't, it's almost random. Just now captcha isn't loading so I'll have to wait however long before I can post...
>>
What's our recommended security app for Android
>>
>>55123777
Best security app is user's brain
>>
>>55123840
Noted. So, what, Avast?
>>
>>55120606

Would this still allow me to get high speeds?
>>
>>55123888
Google Play Service.

Or if you really want some battery draining app that do nothing other than telling you your phone is safe, then Avast is good for that
>>
>>55123758
How come your backslashes are fucked up?

Also, you can't test DNS with ping. The only tool you should use for DNS is nslookup. So give that a try.

Question of mine:

I have a K70 and I would like the volume wheel to control the volume of MediaMonkey. Is this possible?
>>
>>55124333
>>55123758

oh no wait never mind, it can resolve the name. The issue is somewhere else. Is the fault on every device, or only on 1 PC?
>>
>>55124362
It's happening to everything. I haven't messed with anything. I have the feeling its my ISPs fault as they installed fibre stuff and havent switched things over properly yet. It's the only thing I can think of
>>
>>55124389
Hmm, internet should work or not work since it's packet based. I wonder if your connection has faulty links to subnets. Try to ping 58.162.61.1 and 58.162.61.187 back to back.
>>
How do I learn to actually code?
About three or four months ago I started to get interested about programming but I just "formaly" started to study about a week ago (Right now I am trying to learn Haskell)
I have seen the documentation and tutorials, I know some of the syntax but when it comes to actually write an useful code I feel lost and have no clue where to begin/what to do
Any tips or recommendations? If there is a book related to this or something that would help me to improve in general
>>
Is it possible to get the Linux touchpad drivers running on Windows?
>>
>>55124614
You need a project. If you have a project then you'll have to figure out what to do, and learn along the way. It's really difficult to step out and just start to learn.
>>
>>55123570
there is, just look harder. I know for a fact that there is, but I can't remember :p

You can always use a script to do it after they've been extracted.
>>
File: help.png (14 KB, 312x190) Image search: [Google]
help.png
14 KB, 312x190
Can someone spoonfeed me on what these different Video Outputs and Output Formats actually are?

The highlighted ones are the ones I've been using, but for no real reason other than I randomly selected them and they seemed to work. I tried Mpeg4 AVC (x264) and that also worked with fewer issues but also gave a smaller filesize. Not sure where if it drops quality because I couldn't really tell the difference.

Which ones should I really be using to cut clips from muh anime and put them together?
>>
>>55124876
Use x264, it's the best of those. What program is that?
>>
>>55124876
cut them lossless and then encode them after you have put them together.
if you encode everytime you do a cut it'll take a long time and quality degrades after every encode.
>>
Does anyone use a USB microphone? is the Blue Yeti really the way to go?
>>
>>55123666
CS is applied math

>>55124614
you need a project. that can be as stupid as trying to beat code combat or as ambitious as starting a company

I like python: automate the small stuff (or something like that) because it teaches you how to make your computer work for you, which is step 1 in programming

>>55124621
no
>>
What do net neutrality supporters think of site-specific promotional packages? For instance, 1. unlimited data package for only whatsapp, or 2. when ISP detect you are watching youtube video, a popup window would appear and you can select from the popup window to subscribe a temporary speed boost for youtube.
>>
>>55125170
Anything I can do to make lenovo touchpad drivers less shit then?
>>
>>55125184
you can try installing the generic ones from synaptic or alps (depending on your model)

They may be more up-to-date than the ones that lenovo supplies but you might also lose specific functionality so it's a crap shoot
>>
>>55125170
automatetheboringstuff dot com
>>
>>55125176
so you'd need to subscribe and pay for something that should work regardless?
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 681x546) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 681x546
>>55124462
Really weird
>>
>>55124910
It's Avidemux, any ideas why AVC (x264) gives me a much smaller filesize? Is it just better that way in comparison to Mpeg 4 ASP (ff)?

>>55125045
>lossless
I've been using Avidemux to cut these clips and then save them, is that lossless? I've used those same settings when cutting the clips
>>
>>55119662
Yes.
>>55119662
Depends on monitor. Most are capable of +15Hz

Currently using I2757FH, IPS panel. Comes clocked at 60, currently running at 90. I've run at 100, however higher than that causes artifacting.
>>
>>55125221
x264 is newer and better. Much the same way that x265 is even better. It does take a lot more CPU to decode tho. So if it's for mobile you might want to use ff.
>>
are factory overclocked cards worth a shit?
not that i'm planning on buying a 960, just wondering
are they actually better cards (binned higher?) or could i just open precision and make it the same as the higher one
>>
>>55125213
I'd call the ISP at this point. I really have no ideas left.
>>
>>55125209
For instance, your broadband plan is originally 10Mbps, if you pay an extra 1USD then you can upgrade your network to 50Mbps in the next 3 hours so that you can watch 4K video on that particular site smoothly in that period of time.
>>
>>55125321
better cooling systems
>>
File: Screenshot (62).png (586 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (62).png
586 KB, 1920x1080
>>55125321
forgot pic
>>
>>55125332
sounds like a ripoff, would not want.
>>
>>55125296
Thanks man, that's actually good to hear since Mpeg 4 ASP was giving me issues whilst x264 works fine. Is x265 the best of the bunch from that list?
>>
>>55125368
Ah I did not spot x265. Yes it's the best if you have the CPU for it.
>>
>>55125338
as in, two ACX 2.0 cards with different clock speeds
>>
Anyone have experience with ereaders? I can't decide between a kobo glo HD or paperwhite as a gift for someone. I have amazon prime if that influences anything.
>>
>>55125379
>Yes it's the best if you have the CPU for it.
Encoding the video doesn't really need a very powerful CPU does it? I'm on a toaster and everything has been working fine so far
>>
>>55125424
Video encoding is very CPU intensive.

It took me 3 days to encode 5 hours of 420p videos to HEVC on a 3570k @ 4.2GHz
>>
I have a 3TB HDD in my computer, and when I access it via Linux it shows up as 3000GB. accessing it via Windows it shows up as 2720GB. What would happen if I put a 3000GB file on the HDD from Linux and opened it from Windows?
>>
>>55125458
Bloody hell, luckily I'm not doing anything near that length. If that's the case I might just stick to x264

Thanks again mate
>>
>>55125486
Windows and Linux just measure it differently. 3000GB is roughly 2720GiB
>>
>>55125486
explorer is showing gibibyte (although only using "GB" instead of "GiB") where as your linux is showing gigabyte?
your 3000GB file would appear to be 2720GiB on windows.
>>
>>55125405
as a gift, I'd give a Paperwhite

for myself, I'd use the kobo
>>
>>55125524

Giftee doesn't care about brands and such. I'll probably go with the Kobo because it has a nice cover for free right now too.
>>
>>55125352
http://www1.huawei.com/en/success-story/hw-u_309091.htm
Note that Huawei is currently promoting the concept as FMC 2.0 around the world
And also note that when the linked article say ISP/Internet Service Providers, it actually mean content providers.
>>
>>55125510
>>55125517
Is there a way to make Windows show GB instead of GiB?
>>
I've read that SSDs can lose data and even brick when power cuts happen. Is it even worth it to have a SSD for my OS if I don't have an UPS? Do you all have UPSs for your SSDs?
>>
>>55125405
If I am to pick between kindle/kobo I would take kindle for myself just because Amazon Japan kindle store have quite a few manga/light novel. Kobo does not seems to have as much iirc. So the ultimate question become what type of books do your friend like to read and which bookreader offer the most?
>>
>>55125614
I don't have an UPS.
You can say the same about any HDD though, if it's not written yet and you lose power it's gone.
And yes, it is very worth it. I can't understand anyone still using computers without SSDs, the amount of time you'll save by not having to wait for applications to launch is huge.
>>
>>55125614
>I've read that SSDs can lose data and even brick when power cuts happen.

maybe if you buy an ssd with a shitty controller but the same can be said for hdds
>>
>>55125614
I am not a SSD user but I heard you can force the SSD to write ib real time to avoid that but you would slightly sacrifice the SSD's lifespan
>>
>>55125614
if you dont know the answer by now then you should just continue being a poor dweeb
>>
>>55124614
start with a small project

avoid cancer: java, haskell, php, and python
>>
>>55125614
If you're using a desktop for anything but entertainment, you should have a UPS or do all your important computing on something else with a battery.
>>
Nvidia or AMD?
>>
>>55125968

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I go with Nvidia for CUDA and GNU/Linux compatibility, because I'm often not a gamer.
>>
>>55126036

And still if you were a gamer?
>>
>>55126054
I'd get whatever the game intro screens tell me to because that's what gamers do.
>>
>>55126104

Don't play coy with me, Roy. Keep it on the tracks, I want the facts.
>>
>>55125968
>>55126054
>>55126139
it depends. how much do you want to spend, what do you want to run?
>>
>>55126139
For the webpages I have read

There is rumor that game developers are optimizing for one or the other. So depending on the game the the performance can vary. This is not openly admitted, but the growing gap in benchmarks is suspicious.

Nvidia has slightly better when you get into the most expensive high end stuff, but that is overkill for most things. And they are roughly the same in all other categorizes. So it really does seem to matter, unless you got a more specific end application you want.
>>
Is there anything shady about downloading a game from a link in a Russian Youtube video?

Being serious, a """"friend"""" grabbed Skyrim but I don't into pirating games so have no idea if it's going to wreck his PC. It's working fine though
>>
>>55126185

Cost is irrelevant.

>>55126257

Punishing the GPU through extreme processing.
>>
>>55126315
quad 1080s
>>
>>55126324
>falling for the SLI meme

I didn't expect a lot, but still I expected better from /g/
>>
>>55126293
Why would your """""friend""""" use a supposedly "obscure" torrent for such a mainstream game? Because it seems like that's what you're implying.
Anyways, if the game is actually working, I wouldn't worry about it... most people wouldn't go through the trouble of getting a working crack to spread a virus.
>>
>>55124614
Been studying Python with focus a little while new. Doing Code Wars and a John Zelle book. Very interested and looking for serious collab/study partners.

Hit me up at [email protected]

Anyone else interested in some vigorous studying feel free to send a mail.
>>
>>55126420
Because my """"friend"""" doesn't into Piracy. Can it be freely had on shit like Kickass and TPB?
>>
My Wi-Fi breaks after my computer goes into sleep mode.

Sometimes it won't connect to my router
(it says failed to connect to network)

And sometimes it'll connect with no Internet access.

The only way I've found to fix this is restarting my machine. Turnning off and on wifi doesn't help.

Updating/re-installing drivers didn't work.

What to do guys? Thanks
>>
>>55126442
Check the comments of the torrent you filthy pirate scum.

Skidrow is a good Skyrim release. Just get that one.
>>
>>55126555
This.
Always read the comments.
And on big torrenting sites,certified users (VIP/trusted on tpb) are usually trustworthy.
>>
>>55126555
>>55126657
It wasn't a torrent, just a download but my friend will keep that in mind
>>
>>55120510
>lifespan of a hard drive
Any given hard drive? It's almost impossible to say. Sometimes SMART can give you an early warning, but sometimes they just die. Sometimes early, sometimes really late.

A whole bunch, statistically? Generally either they fail quickly or towards the end of rated lifespan, but there are statistically good and bad models/manufacturers. According to Google's studies, temperature doesn't seem to have a significant effect on lifespan; other disagree. Humidity seems to, as does vibration (lots of hard drives in one case all shaking each other = somewhat increased probability of failure). Repeated power cycles are usually worse than light 24/7 load.

The safe assumption: all things must eventually die, you won't know when, and it'll probably be at an inconvenient moment. Just like life, really.

>difference between the WD colors
More or less "only" quality control, warranty and firmware! In ascending order of QC:

Green=low energy, low usage, slow spin, spin down/up frequently/quickly. Low reliability. 2y warranty.
Blue=low cost "mainstream". Secretly identical to greens for the last few years. 2y warranty.
Purple=surveillance. Firmware optimised for continuous, sequential write/overwrite performance; read performance/seeks suffer. Not rated for general use.
Black=general desktop usage/high performance. High speed (7200rpm) firmware, 5y warranty.
Red=Network Attached Storage=RAID arrays of drives. Rated for more vibration/longer life, but still low cost. Firmware has TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery); if it can't read a sector it will quickly give up. 5400, 3y, 1M hours MTBF.
Ae=Enterprise Archive (SMR). Rated for low (60TB/y) workload, 3y warranty.
Se=Medium-usage Enterprise Nearline. 5y, 800Kh MTBF)
Red Pro="Enterprise-grade" 7200rpm Reds. Higher QC, 5y warranty, 1M hours MTBF.
Re=Enterprise Datacenter Capacity. High QC, long warranty (2Mhours MTBF).
Gold=Enterprise Datacenter Quality. Highest QC, longest warranty (2.5Mhours MTBF).
>>
>>55126696
>Blue
>Secretly identical to greens for the last few years.
This is only true for the models above 1TB
>>
>>55126458
Try hibernate instead, likely won't work but its worth a try.

Let me guess, you are running windows on a apple?
>>
>>55125755
Is haskell truly cancerous?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.