[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is OSVR the best VR headset?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: osvr-hdk-2-hero.png (412 KB, 866x610) Image search: [Google]
osvr-hdk-2-hero.png
412 KB, 866x610
Why is OSVR the best VR headset?
>>
It's really nice to have, especially when you're a poorfag
>>
>>55111437
it has a bunch of tradeoffs though

it's not that consumer friendly. for some games you have to tinker alot to get it to work.
you need to use your own pair of heavy headphones. it's not as leightweight as the rift not is the buildquality comparable.

that's what i find objectively a tradeoff.

the subjective part is still unknown if you would get the same clarity lenses like oculus rift and so on
>>
>>55111437
I like the idea of it being user serviceable, and being able to buy the parts, but I'll be missing out on the Vive's controllers and the roomscale lighthouses, which were the reasons I bought the Vive over the Rift. Good on the OSVR team to bring VR to other markets though. Maybe if I have spare cash to screw around with, I'll check it out?
>>
>>55111734
They showed off a glove at E3 that you put on and move around and stuff. It'll probably be expensive though
>>
>>55111437
it's actually affordable for one, the vive and the rift are horribly overpriced for what they are and the silly motion controllers are just a massive turnoff, they should just be a good screen with headtracking honestly.
I'd buy the OSVR if there was some way to get games to automatically scale to the screen of the device.
>>
>>55111813
Oh shit really? A glove sounds really cool, damn I should have followed e3.

The gloves aren't wireless, are they? Probably not.
>>
>>55111868
It's supposed to be able to do bluetooth, but their website says it would have lower latency with a usb connection
>>
>>55111896
Maybe it comes with arm straps for the cables lol
>>
>>55111437
Oculus Rift has cool exclusives
>>
Nobody claimed that it's the best. Where did you get that from?
>>
>>55111437
it's the only heaadset that's not bundled with $999 add-on controllers bullshit, that's good

god, i'd buy this new osvr-with-proper-resolution right now if it'd only be properly supported in big titles. I want VR almost exclusively for racing games, as far as i know osvr supports none of them, and i'm not willing to fuck around with tridef/trackIR wrappers/many camera controls just to have pathetic uncalibrated excuse for VR where nothing is in "real scale" like in Rift.

i mean, i'm doing it right now with cardboard, but i'm not willing to pay "VR price" for it.
>>
>>55111437
Only one that's actually open source and currently runs well on Linux.

VR dev here. VR is an enormous black box shit show.

Even the Vive, promising Linux support, hasn't happened yet.
>>
>>55111437
>OSVR
Because the linux kernal is the best kernal
>>
>>55113377
Chek'd quad dubs

It sucks, but my guess is majority of users have a non Linux machine to use with their headsets. The motif for the OSVR seems to be open source, hackable(?). Hopefully
other companies will follow suit soon.
>>
File: gee.png (44 KB, 315x156) Image search: [Google]
gee.png
44 KB, 315x156
>>55113377
DDOOUUBBLLEE QQUUAADDSS!!
>>
>>55113566
those are quad doubles
>>
>>55113579
Almost :'(
>>
>>55111714
>own pair of heavy headphones
my medium-end headphones are ultra lightweight, you're only going to have heavy headphones if you buy LE GAMRE headphones
>>
>>55112334
If you want to play that second hand crash bandicoot on the Oculus store you should still get a OSVR/Vive and use Revive
>>
>>55113640
Didn't they put a DRM on those games?
>>
How much does it cost? And how good are they?
>>
>>55114403
The upcoming one is supposed to be $400, the current one is $300. Don't get it if you have the money for an Rift or Vive though, OSVR isn't quite as good.
>>
Is this thing a finished product or are they doing that Rift thing where they will release half a dozen unfinished versions?
>>
>>55114541
it's a nerd toy, it was finished when screen started displaying data
>>
>>55114379
Yes, Oculus Home. but with Revive you can use Home with your Vive/OSVR
>>
It's pretty good imo
>>
>>55111834
You've never used VR and it shows.
>>
I was really considering getting this. Can I pirate Oculus games and play them on this? Does it work with Vorpex?
>>
>>55115085
Nailed it.

I wish I could be there when every one of these little faggots tries a Vive or Rift..Vive specifically, and says the same thing after. Not one of them would..if they were being honest of course. Shit is great, just needs more titles/apps and better tech down the road
>>
>>55111714
Don't forget that OSVR has no tracking points on the back of the headset whereas the Rift does. Vive doesn't have tracking points on the headset, but on the other hand the Vive has two outside-in reference points.

tl;dr - Rift and Vive both have 360 tracking (Vive's is better), but OSVR only has 180 tracking.
>>
File: htc-vive-product-1.jpg (19 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
htc-vive-product-1.jpg
19 KB, 620x349
>>55115215
> Vive doesn't have tracking points on the headset

This should be "on the back of the headset", sorry.
>>
>>55114463
Looks shitty
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.