[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many MB would the W10 installation be if all of the extraneous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
File: windows-7-lite-edition.jpg (10 KB, 450x323) Image search: [Google]
windows-7-lite-edition.jpg
10 KB, 450x323
How many MB would the W10 installation be if all of the extraneous BS was removed? Is there a W10 lite like the ols MS OSes?

What would YOU remove?
>>
>>55110916
Approx. 3 50
>>
oh man i would love a sub-1gb windows installation
>>
>>55110939
Why dosnt a lightweight windows exist?
>>
>>55110916
>What would YOU remove?
BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>55110955
My gues is that M$ only wants to work on one OS, and that would be why they're trying so desperately to kill off they're previous versions of Windows.
>>
>What would YOU remove?
All the Windows applications
The Desktop Window Manager
The NT kernel
Replace the Windows Preinstallation Environment with debootstrap
I could get an installation size of under 300MiB
>>
>>55110939
So you would like Windows version that doesn't run any software? Just the libraries have more than 1GB.
>>
>>55110955
Real reason: most space is taken up with drivers that are always included so that the operating system "just werks" on whatever computer it's installed in.
>>
File: notbad.png (58 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
notbad.png
58 KB, 1024x768
>>55110916
Drivers, unneeded keyboards & languages, most preinstalled applications and programs. Botnet would be nice to nuke, but until I know what to kill, it'll have to kinda stay (enterprise VM)
>>
File: WP_000449[1].jpg (976 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
WP_000449[1].jpg
976 KB, 2592x1944
There's a Windows 7 Lite torrent floating around. Kinda hard to use since there's no support community for ground-up Windows based OS building like there is for Linux.

I tried it a few weeks back, it was still a couple gigs, though, iirc.
>>
>>55111056
Why can't it autodetect hardware and install the appropriate drivers only during the installation process?
>>
Kek. Windows NT 4 installs to sub-100MB by default, with minimal meaningful additions since then. You poor bloatbabbies getting fucked in the booty by Microsoft so they can make room for their flashy graphics, telemetry, app stores, and the yearly fad like .NET or Silverlight they drop after 1 year of support.
>>
Remove everything and replace it with Gentoo
>>
>>55111257
It's not installing every driver in existence, but it copies very basic stuff in case you switched motherboard or something.
Would you really want to insert installation medium in case you changed some hardware?
>>
>>55111257
How is it going to install the drivers it needs if they aren't included and it hasn't set up networking hardware yet?
>>
>>55111350
Or it could give you the option for either minimal or full install
>>
File: Microsoft's hidden linux distro.png (842 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft's hidden linux distro.png
842 KB, 1366x768
Wine 32 & 64 bit, Mono, and zero compression. Yes it's a resurrected net(worth=shit) book.
>>
>>55110955
>>55110990
It does exist; the embedded and POS versions of windows. You could also install windows server and have it run command line only if you're so inclined.
>>
>>55111380
Are you this triggered by 1GB (on your 3000GB hard drive) of drivers you might need in case something happens?
Rasbian without any GUI has like 500MB. Install anything made with Python and you are over 1GB guaranteed.
Full blown Windows installation has 16GB. It's not like the fucking backup drivers are loaded into RAM.
>>
>>55110916
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N edition.
>>
>>55111041
back in 2006 we had a windows xp iso of 100m, ~300m when installed.
It probably had a lot of malware, but the size of the thing was worth it for everyone who just wanted windows in a virtual machine.
>>
>>55111281
OK, where are modern programs for NT4? Why there is no modern free ad in freedom software for NT4 and 2000?
>>
>>55111455
can you get a current version of those systems?
Their website is not really meant for finding out how to purchase their products.
>>
>>55111455
But aren't all versions of windows a POS?
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>55111975
That version has even more bullshit bundled in.
>>
>>55112222

XD
>>
>>55112222
Nice quads but wrong acronym anon. He means "point of sale" like cash registers and the self checkout kiosks. You can find some seriously old versions of Windows still being used if you look around. I work at a place that uses XP embedded and runs some kiosks purely in java. Their "security" is praying nobody attaches a keyboard or flash drive to any of the exposed USB cables they never unplugged during the last equipment "upgrade".
>>
>>55112407
I think that we should go with Stallman's name for windows computers and start calling them WCs.
>>
>>55112382
What the fuck you talking about nigga?
>>
>>55110916
Get windows 10 LTSB

Essentially debloated windows 10 without metro apps and forced updates

I guess you know how to get it
>>
>>55110938
That's when I realized my operating system was 500 feet tall and from the Jurassic era
>>
It's called Windows PE
>>
>>55110990
I like your emphasis on the money...
>>55111056
That's wrong and bullshit.
You are probably right saying that the files that are said to be drivers are the biggest part, but you should take a look at linux then: I've carried around my debian install to many different machines - via cp -a and some /etc changes. They worked, without additional drivers. They are included. Works for most machines. With windows I still have to install some drivers on some machines even if the drivers should be there.

Do you know what you cannot do with windows?
Copy your install to another machine. Do you know why? Because microsoft makes that hard as they don't want you to simply copy your install. Everybody would copy someones install.

This is the important part: The biggest part of any Windows since 2000/XP or something has been the part where they want to block you from actually accessing the OS.

There is no damn reason for a modern OS being bigger than 10gigs at maximum. See linux where most installs take about 7 to 8 with full drivers, multimedia, office suite, tools, etc.

>>55112009
Whenever I need windows I take my 150mb image and put it on a virtual machine, if that is not sufficient, then I will install it on any older machine and it will work (excluding some really fucked up shit that NOBODY EVER uses)
>>
>>55111955
>3000GB hard drive
it's 2016
everyone has a 128GB SSD
>>
>>55112791
It's got like enterprise management shit out the wazoo doesn't it?
>>
>>55112009
Yep, but you also forgot the part where you had to install every VC++ redist, every .NET version and god knows what else to get software running.
Few versions of .NET were 3x bigger than your ISO.
>>
>>55113281
>>55113014
>>55112009

>Windows 3.1 minimum install size : 7 MB - 14 MB
>Windows 95 minimum install size : 50-55 MB
>Windows 98 minimum install size : 140 MB to 355 MB
>Windows ME minimum install size : 320 MB
>Windows XP minimum install size : 1.5 GB
>Windows Vista minimum install size : 15 GB
>Windows 7 minimum install size : 20 GB

What could possibly take up this space ?
>>
>>55113763
boatnet
>>
File: 72-web-logo.png (11 KB, 288x72) Image search: [Google]
72-web-logo.png
11 KB, 288x72
>>55110916
use NTLite and make your custom iso from a clean one from microsoft. No .ru/chink botnet shit, most probably some caratnosesoft botnet stuff will be left.
>>
>niggas don't know about winreducer or NTlite

Step it up fagets

If you don't care about cortana or some other features like that you can get windows 10 down to just shy of 10gb.
>>
>>55113763
>7-14 MB for a fancy DOS shell
Nigga, why?
>>
>>55111455
>tfw when command-line version of windows server still requires smss and win32k.sys lmao
>>
>>55114050
>yfw there's a 14MB linux install with a working Xorg server
>>
>>55113846
yes, also remember to merge clean win7 iso with 1000 updates from WU so you'll have to wait 12 fuckin hours for WU to rebuild its database of installed updates after you install it on PC - believe me, i know what im talking about im used to dealing with that stuff when people come and say "my windows update is stuck" - makes me want to charge 3 times normal price if i detect that user installed modified iso, bleh...

remember kids, Windows has bad opinions because idiots like you think they know everything about internals of NT and in fact they know fuckin nothing.
>>
>>55114074
Lol those niggas might believe you'll ever need in the world a gigabyte HDD.
>>
>>55114122
calm your tits mouthbreather, OP was talking about getting rid of components not adding every single update. Go sperg somewhere else, you are clearly out of your safe space.
>>
>>55110916
Just remove all metro apps and other shit that's pre-installed but leave the MS store and IE and let the user choose what they want to install. Seems like it would be less work and there would be a lot less system updates. The less shit you have, the less shit can break. If an app has issues let MS or the dev deal with it and release individual updates like iOS or Android. It would just fuckin werk.
>>
Anyone got some scripts or apps to help debloat this fuckin win 10 install? I need all the free space since I'm just dual booting for le photoshop
>>
>>55113763
legacy shit, botnet and bloat
>>
>>55114450
You're better off using tools to reduce the ISO size before you install windows.

Other than that I've seen scripts that compress the winsxs folder which is usually fuckhuge.
>>
File: 2016-06-17-02-28-42.jpg (226 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-17-02-28-42.jpg
226 KB, 1440x900
>>55113763
Real, actual, documented reason: Preinstalled bloat and optional shit aside, the breakdown is more or less this.

- Preinstalled driver files for ~400 varieties of HP printers and OEM shit
- Text-to-speech, OCR, language recognition and various dictionary files for a dozen languages (probably optional)
- And the huge culprit, winsxs.

Which is a colossal piece of shit network of symbolic links and weird shit that keeps a copy of various versions of all those driver files and nearly every Windows component. I'm mostly talking out of my ass here, but whenever a DLL or a SYS file or something gets updated and something requires the old one, instead of things being backwards compatible, Windows simply stores a copy of the old one along with a ton of metadata and backup information. If you were to install a fresh copy of Windows into a virtual machine and compress the whole fucking thing, it actually comes out to just over 1GB in size. The reason it takes up so much disk space is because of horrible, horrible optimization coupled with a ton of garbage included by default for enterprise reasons or something. 64-bit versions of Windows add another layer on top of that by including both 32 and 64-bit variants of just about everything, again for compatibility reasons.

Also, since winsxs is symlinked all over the place, the OS reports it as being multiple times the size it actually is, which confuses things further.
>>
>>55115069
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55115485
Isn't a standard install of OS X something like 6 gigabytes?
>>
>>55115636
on a lucky day, now they want to upload shit to "the cloud" instead of optimizing the initial installation size.
In that department, OSX is trying too hard to outdo how shit Windows is.
>>
File: ubw.png (82 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
ubw.png
82 KB, 1252x1252
>>>55115069
>The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>retina
>retina
>retina
>>
>>55110990
That's not a guess, that's their literal business plan. During the preview releases of Windows 10 they kept saying their plan was "One OS everywhere! Same OS on your computer, your phone, your tablet, your Xbox eventually"
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.