[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ASUS and MSI accused of sending modified cards to the press
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: days-without-jewish-tricks.jpg (21 KB, 439x290) Image search: [Google]
days-without-jewish-tricks.jpg
21 KB, 439x290
>According Damien Triolet, a known and respected GPU reviewer (who, as you might remember, helped to unravel the secrets in GTX 970 memory allocation problem), ASUS and MSI are sending cards with modified BIOSes to the press. Such software enables more power on review samples, which leads to increased frequencies and better results overall.
>The problem was discovered with MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X and ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX, so might want to take reviews of those cards with a grain of salt. Gigabyte on the other hand does not use such practices with its G1 GAMING Series.
>UPDATE: Guys over at TechPowerUP have just confirmed that the problem is present with their MSI sample as well

http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-msi-accused-of-sending-modified-cards-to-the-press
>>
>>55106398
I don't see anything wrong with this. You can just overclock and reach those speeds anyway. Gigacuck are the dumb ones for NOT doing it.
>>
File: 1384044581391.jpg (92 KB, 826x691) Image search: [Google]
1384044581391.jpg
92 KB, 826x691
>>55106472
>fuck Gigabyte for not cheating

This is the world we live in.
>>
20MHz difference, you won't even get 1% faster performance

French reviewer making mountains out of molehills again
>>
>>55106497
>20MHz difference, you won't even get 1% faster performance

That makes it 1% faster than the competing vendors, which means anyone buying the card will go with the 1% faster one at the same price.

Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>55106526
It's not even 1% faster you know, you need to overclock 100MHz to see 1% or higher difference
>>
>>55106398
Some time ago at ASUS & MSI HQs:

>Frank: Hey Rick, it's time to send out those review samples, have you got the BIOS done yet?
>Rick: Already? Shit. I'm still tweaking things, results are mostly stable but I really think it still needs work.
>Frank: Well we still have SOME time before general launch, but these review samples need to go out today. Do you think it'll make a huge difference?
>Rick: Not really, I'm just squeezing out a bit more stability from the lower binned cards. Can't be more than like 1% difference. Definitely margin of error stuff.
>Frank: That'll have to do. Send me the build you've got.
>Rick: Sure thing, Frank. Beers later?
>Frank: Damn right.
>>
>>55106630
You do know they're both Taiwanese companies, right? None of their upper HQs are in USA.
>>
>>55106630
That's absolutely not what it is though. And it's not the first time it happened.
>>
>getting butthurt for 20MHz
>>
File: 130f.jpg (192 KB, 800x494) Image search: [Google]
130f.jpg
192 KB, 800x494
Life is so short yet people are getting butthurt over 20MHz difference
>>
>>55106497
>20MHz difference

In base clock. With the way GPU Boost works, that can work out as more in terms of boost clock. GPU-Z's boost clock calculation is worthless too, and lower than the card will actually hit. Nvidia Inspector shows the real boost clock.

>>55106630
>this level of shilling

wew

>>55106778
You can see even in GPU-Z's underestimate that 20MHz on the base clock equals 25MHz on the boost clock. The reality will be even more. For example, GPU-Z says my card's boost clock will be 1054MHz, yet it actually hits 1176MHz in gaymes.
>>
/g/ in a nutshell

>GPU maker doesn't declare changes and modifications made to devices officially presented to press
This is fine, OP. It's just 20Mhz. You could overclock and make this anyway!
>Reviewer/Journalist isn't 100% transparent and open about what they've received or gotten from vendors
FUCKINGSCUM. BLOGGERS NOT JOURNALISTS. JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY WHEN. FUCK CAPITALISM.

Stay classy /g/
>>
>>55106778
Deception is deception.

All you need is that 1-2% difference in performance and you're seen as the new king. These types of deception occurred in the smartphone benchmarks as well, but bit worse because smartphone consumers are retarded.

Meanwhile gaming card consumers are children, so not much more different.
>>
File: le cheating chinks.jpg (175 KB, 1155x750) Image search: [Google]
le cheating chinks.jpg
175 KB, 1155x750
Seems like MSI have been doing this for years and nobody's noticed (or been paid not to).
>>
>>55106497
If the accusation really includes modified power delivery through the BIOS, then that will also make the card much more willing to boost higher for longer. This is certainly a very serious allegation.
>>55106472
>I don't see anything wrong with Russian Olympic competitors taking steroids, everyone else can do it! In fact, the rest of the competitors are idiots for not taking drugs!!!
This is an interesting line of thought.
>>
File: slow.gif (32 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
slow.gif
32 KB, 350x400
>>55106878
>MSI is a scummy company
Their awful quality gaming laptops with terrible customer service are legendary at this point.
>>
>>55106526
>Buying a GPU because it is 1 FPS better than another, not because of warranties or cooling options

Ok
>>
>>55106535
To see 1% of the overall clock, sure. The discussion is about the difference in clocks between manufacturers. If Manufacturer 1 has a clock speed of 1400 and manufacturer 2 has a clock speed of 1650, 100MHz of the 250MHz difference is not 1%.
>>
>>55106927
The last time I got a msi motherboard, it made the entire computer crash every half hour or so. I returned that shit and got a gigabyte mobo. Using the exact same hardware as before, everything worked smoothly and no more half hour crashes. And this was a amd apu mobo.
>>
>>55107538
Might
Start
Intermittently
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.