[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/retro/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 20160616_055859-0.jpg (2 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
20160616_055859-0.jpg
2 MB, 2576x1932
maxy comfy ibook. a1133/12"/1.5GB/40GB.
>>
It's too slow to do anything useful besides music and 480p content.
Forget web browsing, the modern web is too bloated.

t. PowerBook G4 1.67GHz owner
>>
>>55105272
doesn't change the fact that it's beautiful.
>>
>>55105282
>form over function
Once a macfag, always a macfag.
>>
File: 12506712.jpg (20 KB, 331x315) Image search: [Google]
12506712.jpg
20 KB, 331x315
>>55105389
>>
I like the shape and primarily wish it had a 3200x2400 display.
>>
>>55105272
Which browser are you using? Maybe using something like no-script or uBlockOrigin could make browsing better
>>
>>55105272
>I don't know how to optimise Leopard

Unless you're seriously using Linux, with that absolute AIDS trackpad support. In which case, you deserve to feel bad.
>>
>>55107228
No anon I've used tiger, leopard and debian on it and all of them are pretty shit in regards to web browsing.

And noscript breaks a lot of web pages thanks to JavaScript memers fucking up the internet.
>>
>>55108914
I have a DLSD 17" AlBook and it's absolutely fine browsing the web with WebKit (you should install Glimmerblocker or Privoxy for light-weight adblocking), I also have a bunch of useful extension but I can't remember the names off the top of my head. If you want gecko, TFF can be seriously optimised too, there's a profile.js available on MacRumors. And as for video, PPC Media Center/youtube-dl is your friend, 720p plays perfectly in CorePlayer.
>>
File: Picture.png (249 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Picture.png
249 KB, 1024x768
>>55105272
You retarded? Web browsing works fine on a G4

t. PowerBook G4 1.5GHz owner, using Tiger, Leopard, and OpenBSD (OpenBSD doesn't even have GPU drivers and it's still an acceptable experience)
>>
>>55109178
>OpenBSD
I second this, it's the only acceptable non-Apple OS that works well on PowerPC Macs. MorphOS is objectively the best performing OS for PowerPC, but there's no fucking software, and the "Amiga experience" is so backwards it'd take years to get used to it. Plus the filthy Jews want €114 for a non-transferrable single-user license, AND on top of all that, all support/forums are mostly in German and shit. AND if that wasn't enough, it looks like they might be moving to X86 in the near future.

tl;dr:
>Leopard if you want good performance and software availability
>Tiger if you want better performance (on older machines) but poor software availability
>OpenBSD if you want something current
>Debian if you REALLY want Linux and you're using a mouse (fucking touchpad drivers)
>>
>>55105122
I've always liked the iBooks, but they're the absolute worst to take apart. I have an iBook G3 and I'm absolutely dreading the day I have to replace the HDD.
>>
>>55109281
PowerBook G4s are terrible too. Took 30 screws to get to the HDD. To replace the optical drive you have to remove the logic board, the optical drive is the last thing you take out of the chassis
>>
>>55109327

what the fuck
>>
>>55109327
I've never owned a 12", but it's nowhere near that difficult with the 17".
>>
>>55109381
I would never own a 17" so I'll never know that feeling. I'd imagine it'd be easier though given how much more space there is.
>>
>>55109410
Looking it up on iFixit there's literally only 18 steps. Replacing heat-sink/fan assembly and/or reapplying thermal paste is a bastard though.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.