[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is arch a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 9
File: arch.png (3 KB, 144x144) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
3 KB, 144x144
I love GNU/Linux, but have only used *buntu distros. Right now I'm on Xubuntu, and it works well enough, but there are some jank things that bother me. I've been thinking about installing arch, because it seems like if I can configure everything there might be less bugs. Am I falling for the meme, /g/?
>>
Yes. Use a normal os and get shit done
>>
>>55100097
Arch is nice enough, good doc too.
Install antergos if you don't want to bother with the installation. It does the exact same thing but you save 30 mins and you don't seem like a l33t hacker
>>
Arch has, hands down, the best package manager. It also uses systemd, so if you're okay with that go right ahead, though you probably already deal with that in xubuntu. Arch is more for tinkering, finding what you like and can be a pain to manage sometimes
>>
used it for 3 years. stooped using it a few months ago because void is better and pacman breaks my x/lightdm/wifi/ you name it too often
>>
>>55100185
So the configurability doesn't make it easier?
>>55100201
What do you use now?
>>
>>55100229
as mentioned, void linux. no systemd.
>>
>>55100097
AUR is literally irreplaceable until snaps are mainstream
>>
>>55100229
Well, it does and it doesn't. Arch's 'configuration' is kinda a myth, but it seems true because nothing is configured automatically on install. When you install xorg for example, you have to enable xinit if you're starting straight to a wm, if you're installing lightdm you have to enable the service, install a greeter and enable that, which makes you go through the config files and maybe change some other stuff while you're there. Every other distro is just as configurable, but it doesn't force you to, arch makes you do that. And yes, this has solved problems for me in that I know where to look to fix things, but in other cases it simply won't work as well as other distros for, example, KDE.
Man, fuck KDE on arch, word of advice either go with gnome or i3 or some other wm
>>
>>55100097
Arch is for people who don't want to do anything except rice their system 24/7
>>
>>55100287
>Arch's 'configuration' is kinda a myth
Text mode manual install is always more configurable than GUI install
>>
>>55100302
Nice blog
>>
No is not, once you tried it and understand it you feel other distributions has no sense.
>>
>>55100318
I wasn't really considering installation of the base system, but yeah I guess.

One more thing, once you to AUR and pacman you don't go back, so get ready to completely hate yum/dfr (or whatever the fuck they call it now) and aptitude, because they are shit.
>>
>>55100236
> LibreSSL
Fuck no, I'm out
>>
Best derivative? I'm too lazy to install it again and get sd support and everything set up.
>>
>>55100097
it can be hard at the beginning, especially if your aren't used to use the command line, but once you have configured all is pretty comfy
>>
>>55100600
Manjaro corrupted systemd a week after I installed it, so I wouldn't do that. Although it does run KDE very nice, if you care more about elegance then stability. I haven't used antergos personally, but I've heard tales that it works like a dream. Looks pretty OOTB too.
>>
I like Gentoo because it's more flexible and I can keep it lighter than Arch Linux. Also Portage is amazing.
>>
>>55100600
antergos.
Or just use arch + install script like aui or architect if you can't be bothered.
>>
Its a nice distro dont listen to memes here. It may not be comfy to install but when you are setup, its very easy to use and maintain. Also pacman and AUR together are killer.
>>
Depending on your issues you can probably just configure Xubuntu to be how you like it.
>>
Arch is a well maintained and proper Distro. However, I wouldn't say it has no weaknesses. Do not let /g/ persuade your judgement, pick a distro you like.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>55100097
arch is among the best linux distros but i got tired of obsessing over being on the bleeding edge. fixing shit that went wrong with my internet connection or my desktop environment really wasn't a good use of my time.

i personally use os x because it just werks. if i didn't have a mac, i'd probably run some flavor of ubuntu because i want to just install something and be done with it. i don't want to customize anything, i just want my text editor, bash and official support for popular programs like chromium and spotify.

there's an image floating around that shows the timeline of the linux user. first they start on ubuntu, then they try fedora or opensuse, then arch. they get pissed off and just go back to debian or ubuntu in the end. by all means go try arch; it's fun for a bit but you might find yourself going back.
>>
>>55100925
Can somebody explain why the AUR is relevant?

>arch has small package repo but has this even smaller user-built unmaintained repo over here
>every other distro just has a big repo

Plz kill this meme
>>
>>55101429
I went back to ubuntu, then instantly came back to Arch.

Ubuntu is an abomination
>>
>>55100236
arch and void? lmao at your life
>>
>>55100201
>ecause void is better and pacman breaks my x/lightdm/wifi/
how does arch break your wifi?
set up the netctl profile and it just werks
>>
>>55101588
>actively encouraging people to use systemd
delete this
>>
>>55101441
you're probably right. i haven't used it since lucid lynx. but there are alternatives, like debian.
>>
>>55101619
systemd is comfy.
>>
>>55101683
This. People act like if making their lifes harder is a good thing because "muh unix philosophy"
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>55101735
>implying using systemd makes life easier
am i biting bait, /g/?
>>
>>55101735
I also like the idea of service files and how they are setup and how you can have the program wait until the dependencies are loaded before it gets loaded.
>>
>>55101761
It does though
>>
>>55101735
>changing to systemd is easier than staying with whatever init system you've been using for years and years
did you first into linux this year?
>>
>>55101784
I changed to systemd years ago
>>
Just use Antergos. It's Arch without the bullshit. Hell, if you want to look like a 1337 haxx0r5, just brand all your shit with the Arch logo; you're 9/10 of the way there anyway. To hell with anyone who says otherwise.
>>
>>55101767
We know it's you this time, Lennart.
>>
>>55101784
guy that said it was comfy here.
Sorta. My mobo is incompatible with linux but I found a trick to let it boot a year and a half ago.
Now I use it for everything
>>
>>55100097
It is for OCD-addled 3l33t1st autismos.
>>
I started intoing Linux last year when I finally fell for the Arch meme. It was comfy for a while.

I switched to Gentoo ~4 months ago and it's ridiculously comfy. OpenRC is far easier to use IMO.
>>
>>55101862
how is gentoo more comfy than arch?
>>
If you are immature and love Systemd and software anarchy then Arch Linux is just for you!
Hopefully one day arch nemesis will become enlightened.
>>
>>55101878
Are you fucking kidding?
>source based > binary distros
>openrc > systemd
>portage > ports > pacman
>more flexible
>more mature
>better devs
>own SSL

I can keep going
>>
>>55101878
1) You're only using a distro that is a meme in the same way wewlad is a meme, not in the same way mechanical keyboards are a meme.
2) People don't think you're 12.
3) Most importantly, all of the reasons Archfriends give to Ubuntufriends as to why they should switch to Arch are doubly applicable to Gentoo.
>>
>>55101907
>>55101862
Man, this makes me want to make the switch too. Compile times will literally kill me though.
>>
>>55101434
If you cannot find something in the official repos then it will be in the AUR. No need to add repos and shit.
>>
File: mrbabby.png (124 KB, 314x261) Image search: [Google]
mrbabby.png
124 KB, 314x261
>>55101942
>People don't think you're 12.

Who?
Your cartoon girlfriends?
>>
>>55101434
Ubuntu: 90% of what you need is in the main repos
10% you have to have like 50 billion ppas for
Arch: 70% of what you need is in the main repo
30% you go to the aur for
>>
>>55101986
>using a meme against gentoo that only applies to arch anime desktop thread inhabitants
>>
>>55101965
The only issue with compile times is the initial setup. Updates really only take 2 - 3 minutes unless you're compiling on a toaster and even then you just compile in the background.
>>55101942
I use Gentoo because it's one of the few source based distros that fit my personal preference when it comes to software. I like Portage a lot more than Ports for FreeBSD.
>>
>>55101993
any software that's not buttsexwm that 10 people use will be better supported on ubuntu
>>
>>55101993
>implying arch repos + aur have every program ever made
>implying even 45% of aur is maintained
weak
>>
>>55100302
Funny.
I spent maybe an hour ricing and after that I've spent about 4 months just using it.
Interesting how people spread the "Arch always breaks" meme, nothing really broke on my system in all this time.

So obviously you must be a fucking retard who never used this distro in his life jumping on the "lets hate Arch for no rational reason" bandwaggon like the mindless faggot you are.

Kys.
>>
>>55102189
>everybody hates arch for no reason

i feel like if everybody hates it, there is a reason
>>
>>55102222
>if everybody hates it, there is a reason

You must be new here
>>
>>55102222
>if everybody hates it, there is a reason
Are you fucking retarded?
This is not even a rhetorical question.
>>
>>55102234
>people do anything for no reason
you must be new at life
>>
>>55102288
It's not for no reason, 90% of /g/ are fucking sheep who will jump on any wagon they see, the bigger a wagon gets the more it gets filled with retards like you who just, for once in their meaningless, lonely sad lives want to be apart of a movement, no matter how baseless or asinine it is.
>>
>>55102189
It never broke when I used it either although it did seem to have less support for certain hardware than other distros. I prefer to not have a testing system to minimize bugs.
>>
>>55102317
>implying /g/ isnt all on the "dude arhchch costumizbleable" wagon
"you must be new here"
>>
>>55102392
yeah, those people are a cancer that needs to be purged, I wish they would all find another os to blight
>>
>>55102392
>implying /g/ likes Arch
The "Arch is the best distro" era ended a while ago, now everyone hates it.

Its okay, everyone makes mistakes. Try not to be so stupid next time and lurk more though.
>>
File: average arch hater.png (2 MB, 1223x4575) Image search: [Google]
average arch hater.png
2 MB, 1223x4575
>>55100097
yes, its a meme, not stop posting the same thread everyday you stupid fucking cunt
>>
>>55102430
>nobody on /g/ likes arch now
The number of posts in this thread about how glorious Arch Loonix is disagrees with you.

Its okay, everyone makes mistakes. Try not to be so stupid next time and lurk more though.
>>
>>55102437
>implying this wasnt fake

>start posting arch hate pics in thread
>samefag and insult self
>start conversation with self
>gradually reveal that nonexistent arch hater is fat and has no friends
>tape together screencaps and say this is proof arch is superior distro
>>
>>55102449
If you dont believe me just make a strawpoll about which distro /g/ thinks is the best and we can compare it to the one I made half a year ago (I think ~ 60% - 70% voted for Arch back then, I might still have the screencap somewhere).
I prefer my data this way and not from post counts on a board where you cant really tell who is who.

So again, please try not to be...
>>
>>55102489
no faggot, the nigger in the image literally makes the same threads with the same filenames
too sophisticated to be some fake
>>
>>55102499
I don't give a shit about your retarded poll, I'm still gonna use Arch
don't try to convert me to windows, you stupid faggot.
nobody here has ever said "oh shit he's right, I'll install windows or ubuntu"
just stop, tell your shill overlords it doesn't work here
>>
>>55102562
I am
>>55102189
you fucking moron. Please read the thread next time.
>>
>>55102562
>arch users have such latent rage at the entire world that they attack their own allies
>>
>>55102562
Also what you just wrote has literally nothing to do with what I wrote in this thread. What the fuck are you even trying to say, retard?
>>
>>55102499
eh the only poll i remember was retarded because it split up distros arbitrarily, like counting debian/crunchbang/ubuntu/kubuntu separately but then it only listed arch and not manjaro/antergos

tldr strawpolls are retarded
>>
File: 102 - bcX6RBN.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
102 - bcX6RBN.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2304
>>55100097
Arch is great. If you havn't done a text based install before then just go slow. It's really quite easy if you can read.

Everything is meme so don't worry about that. Just give it a proper try and decide for yourself.

But don't trick yourself into thinking arch is more minimal/configurable than any other distro. It really isn't. It's nothing special. It's just comfy, has pacman and a half decent wiki.
>>
Arch as a distro is not a meme but the userbase is retarded, as you will see if you scroll through this thread.
>>
>>55101965
>>55101907
>>55101878
Gentoo is awesome, but far from comfy.
>>
>>55102605
>>55102614
sorry, I just assumed he was saying some polls indicate arch a shit
i didn't read too far
>>
>>55102661
>strawpolls are retarded
Can we agree on that they are still less retarded than counting the posts on an anonymous board?
>>
>>55102189
>>55102362
I used to break a lot, so the meme isn't based on nothing. However, it really doesn't apply these days.
>>
>>55102669
Jokes on you, the ones having literally 0 arguments to back up their statements are the anti arch faggots.
>>
>>55102430
No, all the hipsters now hate arch because it's popular as the majority have got over their fear of the install process and know how easy and comfy the distro is. All the butt hurt kiddies are upset that their l33t distro is basically for normies now.
>>
>Is arch a meme?
There are many distros that are memeworthy. On this board, it so happens that ALL distros are memed on, regardless of their merits
>>
>>55102703
s/I/It/
>>
File: 1388562866514.jpg (108 KB, 788x444) Image search: [Google]
1388562866514.jpg
108 KB, 788x444
>>55100185
>Pacman
>best package manager
>>
>>55102748
What do you think is better?
>>
>>55102758
.exe
>>
>>55102801
>>
>>55100185
>Arch users actually believe this
>>
>>55102758
portage
xbps
>>
>>55100263
Snaps are too huge family.
>>
>>55103075
>portage
Fair enough.

>xbps
lel nyet
>>
Come to debian brah
>>
>>55102758
Almost any other package manager, pacman is for sure one of the candidates for worst package manager.
It's so disfunctional and lacking on basic features that I don't even know how it could be used for everything other than really basic desktop utilization.
>>
>>55103798
Can't be any worse than apt, right?

Right?!
>>
>>55100201
c'mon after months this retarted void specimen is still around.
do not keep disgracing yourself
>>
File: 1459336832940.png (207 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1459336832940.png
207 KB, 600x600
If apt is such shit then why doesn't Debian try to renovate it or just make a new manager all together?
>>
>>55100906
>using dumb scipt installers
just change distro for god sake
>>
>>55103878
Change is hard when a lot of people are settled.
>>
>>55101907
yes just this.
how can you mongoloid people cannot keep this in mind instead of shitposting?!
>>
>>55103878
They tried with aptitude
>>
>>55100097
It's good if you don't actually use your computer for work that isn't coding
>>
>>55100185
>implying portage isn't the best package manager
>saying package is even good, let alone the best
>>
Yes, go for it. Maybe use the Architect Installer to make it a little bit easier
>>
>>55105560
architect is for cowards
>>
Xubuntu has some problems and I posted them a yesterday. No one really had a counter argument.

Currently ubuntu is buggier than Arch Xfce
>>
>>55100185
>arch is about configurability
>implying everybody on this board doesnt have the exact same configuration
>>
File: linux arch recommendation.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
linux arch recommendation.png
871 KB, 650x4377
>>
>>55108003
>Can't argue
>Posts overused and debunked memes
So is this your last resort?
>>
File: sakura.png (805 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sakura.png
805 KB, 1920x1080
yes
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.