[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest Discussion, Are CS degrees truly a meme? I currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
Honest Discussion, Are CS degrees truly a meme? I currently work as a software developer (4 years almost) and was looking to get a CS degree for future jobs/general advancement

I can kind of see how it would be shaky ground if you're doing software development since you can hire one good, expensive guy, hire a shit ton of Indians and just have them punch out code while your one guy filters it out.

However, what's the prospects like for someone who wants to use their CS degree to transition out of programming into something like Network/System Administration, etc etc?

Surely a CS degree is for more than just programming.
>>
It's a meme. Don't fall for it.
>>
File: 1465848668654.jpg (116 KB, 1147x825) Image search: [Google]
1465848668654.jpg
116 KB, 1147x825
>tfw I fell for the CE meme
>>
>>55099555

I'm not quite sure what this reaction image is meant to imply.

You went into CS and enjoy it?
>>
File: 1461356674809.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1461356674809.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>55099573
>CS
>>
>>55099581

Ah, I see, you said "CE".

I imagine that's just more hardware centric?
>>
>>55099274
first off, ignore the vapid weeb poster (>>55099555, >>55099581)

I wouldn't get a degree if you already have industry experience. A lot of companies don't give much of a shit about your degree once you show them you can program, so I would focus on getting as much stuff you write open source or at least visible to potential employers.

I'm not sure what kind of programming you are doing but unless it is web development, sys admin would honestly be a step down from most software developer positions.

If you ARE in webdev and for some reason are calling yourself a software developer you might actually want to think about getting a degree in CS. It would mostly be for you to be more confident about decisions you make. This will probably be a big boost in getting you promoted and hired at other companies.
>>
>>55099274
Computer science is not a degree for programming. Computer science is not a degree for systems administration.
>>
>>55099640

For frame of reference, I do actual application development. .NET (C#/VB.NET primarily) and Lisp. I handle all facets of the process, actual development, testing, and deployment. I also manage some web services.

Honestly, that's what I would like to hear, if I don't need to get a CS degree. I would honestly much rather get something in the Medical Field to fall back on just in case some major event affects the tech industry. I know people in a few outlets of the medical profession so it would be a really awesome fallback.

>>55099687

Would it be correct to say it's like a swiss army knife of software?
>>
>>55099274
If you think CS is a meme then,
1) Don't go into CS (we don't want your kind here)
2) You are a fucking idiot
>>
>>55099274
Are you applying to jobs and failing because you don't have a degree?

If the answer is yes, then you know the answer: CS isn't a meme.

If you haven't tried, or have not hit a barrier, you don't necessarily need a degree yet. However if you will hit a barrier eventually and want to go past it, it may be worth getting the degree now while you're still (presumably) younger.

Also, CS isn't so much networks/sysadmin unless you focus on that... If you want another way to get into that kind of work, consider studying and trying to get a Network+ certification instead of focusing on a four-year degree.
>>
You learn more on the job in a year than you do at uni in four. Experience is far more important.
>>
>>55099794
Computer science is not about software at all. Computer science is the study of the theory of information with information processes. You do not need to touch any software or computer to study this kind of theory.
>>
>>55099863

Not applying for jobs at the moment, but within the next 6 months or so I'm looking to solidify my career trajectory for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>55099863
>This
>>
>>55099274
Sounds like you already know a bit about programming/computer/industry stuff, so if I were you I would major in something else that's interesting to you. Then you can actually learn something new, and then have that nice piece of paper that will take you to the next pay grade.
>>
>>55099910
I feel like you have a far better position to skip the degree given you already have four years as a developer than most. Does that mean you have nothing to gain from a CS degree? Not necessarily, depending on what your career aspirations are. But you already have a decent start.

If you were straight out of high school and didn't have that experience I'd push towards the CS degree, but given you do have industry experience I think you should set a career goal and reconsider once you have that figured out.
>>
>>55099274
>However, what's the prospects like for someone who wants to use their CS degree to transition out of programming into something like Network/System Administration, etc etc?
For that stuff certs are far more valuable than a bachelor's. Even if you did want to go to college with the intent to work in that field then CS isn't what you should be studying.
>>
>>55100167

Thanks for putting it succinctly.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.