[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ricing GNU/Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1456895093583.png (1 MB, 834x817) Image search: [Google]
1456895093583.png
1 MB, 834x817
Share tips on ricing. Here is how you starting X without a display manager or login manager:

You add stuff to ~/.xinitrc that you want to start immediately on boot, things like DEs, WMs, and DMs. ~/.xinitrc is an rc file that gets loaded when you call startx. So if you want startx to load a certain DE/WM you put that in the config. However you can ignore the config and instead use a DM which is like a GUI login screen. However xinitrc isn't called by default. If you add a line in your .bash_profile and you don't have a DM, upon boot, you should be prompted for you username and password. After entering them, xinitrc takes over and starts your DE and/or WM. Putting that line in your bash_profile (*profile) file simply calls startx if it's not already started when you start your login shell. You could ignore that and just type startx after login if you want.

You can make bash_login call xinitrc with

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

In your bash_profile. THEN xinitrc gets called after you log in because of that line.

Put a line at the bottom of ~/.xinitrc that says

exec <whatever>

for example i3 and that launches it. Then in your .bash_profile put

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx
>>
You can clear stale pages in your swap space by running the following as root
# sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; rm -rf ~
>>
>>55098587
>pages
I just tried this on my uncles laptop, he runs some linux, an ugly one, but the pretty looks didnt come
the windows closed and then the screen went black. was that a black theme?
>>
>>55098587
haha so funny anon I bet you enjoy middle school and live in 2007.
>>
I installed KDE in docker, how do I rune KDE with Xfce now?

No SSH forwarding
>>
>>55098587
kys asshole
>>
File: rice.gif (1015 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
rice.gif
1015 KB, 1366x768
Some programs to run in the terminal.

3spooky.lua: Top-middle in image,
hack.exe: Middle-left in image.
pipes.sh: Top-Right in image, makes pipes.

Get them here https://github.com/janbrennen/rice
>>
>>55099143
>>55098523
fuck off already
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>55099143
any matrix terminal with legit japanese characters as in the movie
>>
>>55099240
Literally cmatrix.
>>
Doesn't fit by the word limit, but here is an ascii art. You can put this file as a motd.
https://ghostbin.com/paste/9q5f3/raw
>>
File: captainskull.jpg (159 KB, 643x422) Image search: [Google]
captainskull.jpg
159 KB, 643x422
>>55100464
Meant the issue file. For those who don't know what that is, here is what man issue says:

"The file /etc/issue is a text file which contains a message or system identification to be printed before the login prompt".

You can also have ascii dispayed at login if you cat to a file in your bash_profile or bashrc.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.