[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So basically I'm a fucking idiot. I made some changes to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1464645717462.jpg (51 KB, 515x600) Image search: [Google]
1464645717462.jpg
51 KB, 515x600
So basically I'm a fucking idiot. I made some changes to my computer (Windows 8.1) that made everything fuck up. I did a system reset that was supposed to save all my important files, and now everything except my documents is fucking gone. All my programs and games are simply gone. What do I do now?

I fucking suck at computers as you can probably tell. I mean completely incompetent.

Is there some way to restore my programs or restore my entire computer to the way it was?
>>
And no, I'm not baiting, I'm just fucking retarded when it comes to computers.
>>
As long as you didn't zero your hard drive or write any new data, you should be able to get it back somehow. Not sure how since I've never been in this situation, but I'm pretty sure not all hope is lost. Good luck anon
>>
Re-download, if you have saved games/files try testdisk
>>
>>55095736
Just restore from your backups. You do have backups, right?
>>
Do system restore, restore to a date before you fucked up. If your games are deleted then you'll just have to redownload but windows config settings should be back to whatever they were at before you fucked up.
>>
>>55095779
Don't think so, where would I find these?
>>
>>55095789
This OP. System restore (should) save you.
>>
>>55095810
>>55095789
How do I do this?
>>
>>55095842
You need to boot the Windows 8.1 setup from a CD or USB drive.
>What's booting?
In short it's turning on the pc and running the CD/USB mentioned above. It asks you to press a key to boot from it

If I remember correctly there's a "Restore Windows" text under the "Install" button. So press that and check the options, I can't remember what it is like, or just google "how to restore windows from cd" or something.
>>
>>55095736
Switch off the hard drive.
Use some other PC.
Using Testdisk recover what's left of your files to another hard drive, i.e. destination drive should be different than the drive your data are on.
Afterwards you may want to restore windows.
>>
>>55095736
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
Why is everyone spoonfeeding this retard? Read the sticky.
>>
>>55095736
They shouldn't be written over yet. Take to a company that specializes in recovery. If you don't have the money now just transfer docs to s USB, replace the drive with a fresh one and migrate docs to new drive. Hold on to old one until your ready to pay for the recovery.
>>
>>55095842
Control panel>action center
>>
Well OP, you did a system refresh. It does, by design, return Windows to it's "mint" condition but leaves your important files (ie, documents). Unless you have a backup, and a complete disk backup at that, or if you can use System Restore to undo the refresh, you're going to have to reinstall programs and games.

Is it really that hard to just reinstall stuff?
>>
>>55095736
>Windows 8.1
>important files
lol wait back up
>>
>>55097005
Why doesn't it?
>>
>>55095736
install gentoo
>>
>>55095808
They're in the "Stuff I would have prepared for if I wasn't a dumbass" folder.
>>
>>55095736
shrekt
>>
>>55095808
go to settings, go to "time and language", click on "rewind time", then go back prior to this incident and back up your files
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.