[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power strips are technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
I've never gotten a straight answer about power strips. Are cheap generic brand strips just as safe as the more premium brands? Are premium brands safer or is that just snake oil? How many outlets can you safely have on one power strip? How many on one circuit total across several power strips? How much should you spend on power strips?
>>
You get what you pay for

Apply everywhere in life
>>
>>55095627
Not necessarily. Nearly all of my favorite software is free as freedom, and free as in Stallman footcheese.
>>
File: allgood.jpg (398 KB, 837x673) Image search: [Google]
allgood.jpg
398 KB, 837x673
>>55095627
>You get what you pay for
>You get
>pay for
>>
>>55095611
Anyone else bothered by the fact that that circuit is in the wrong order? And that the plugs are fucking sideways?
>>
Surge protectors that have a rating with how much energy they can take(in joules) are probably fine. They'll all provide about the same level of protection if they have the same ratings and design but be careful around chinkshit.
>>
>>55096759
The plugs are aideways so that ac adapters which are bulging out don't take up two slots.

>ameridumb
>>
>>55096759
The hot and neutral are also the same size which is not how it's done in America. Also in America basically every outlet that I've ever seen has the ground hole upside-down
>>
File: 1443389963322.png (199 KB, 637x640) Image search: [Google]
1443389963322.png
199 KB, 637x640
>>
>>55095611
I started watching bigclivedotcom teardowns on youtube where he takes apart cheap electronics and adapters and points out flaws in them.

I'm never buying cheap chargers or power strips again.

Here's a typical one where ground isn't even connected because of super shitty build quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1DlBpyS9w
>>
>>55096846
>>55096869
I get the adapter thought, but what about the fact that the switch is opposite the power cord? I understand that, yes you can make a perfectly functional power bar, but it just triggers my autism.
>>
>>55095686
The housefires cost extra though, just look at Nvidia's lineup.
>>
>>55095611
surge-suppression in all powerstrips, cheap and expensive, is a.) not very good and b.) wears out over time, because the MOVs its made of have limited capacity. When it does wear out, your expensive surge-suppressor power strip has no surge suppression than a $5 chink shit powerboard.

If you really do live in an area with bad power (if other appliances and lightbulbs do not die mysteriously on a regular basis, you do not have bad power) then you should get a proper power conditioner, and not two bucks worth of MOVs inside a power strip for a huge markup.
>>
File: 02_apc_surge_arrest_douglas.jpg (37 KB, 682x384) Image search: [Google]
02_apc_surge_arrest_douglas.jpg
37 KB, 682x384
>>55095611
I just use these APC things I got at Costco 2 for 20 bucks. Does like phone and cable. But don't really see the point of those.
>>
File: xiaomi_power_strip.jpg (38 KB, 600x335) Image search: [Google]
xiaomi_power_strip.jpg
38 KB, 600x335
>>55095611
All of that varies with your household power installation, which hopefully contains almost all the electrical security features you need.

And then the power strip can be a dumb device that can just take the correct voltage & ampage.
>>
>>55099089
because if you have a coax or rj-11 connector they are just a liable to get a surge?
>>
>>55099154
So are you saying I should be running both my modem and tv cables though these things? I've never heard of an issue through them. That shit is all underground, how would a lightning strike even affect them?
>>
>>55095611
If it doesn't say it will pay for all your shit that's connected to it, it doesn't protect you.
>>
Just buy the cheap ones
>>
>>55096928
I think I used that exact adapter at one point as it came free with something else.
>>
>>55095611
How many outlets depends on the load draw. In the end you should newer try to draw more than the plug outlet allows. I.e. in Australia it's 10 amps at 240v, so 2400w of power. For outlets with two plug points it's still the exact same amount, i.e. 2400w between the two outlets, not 2400w per side. You can have higher output points i.e. 15amp at 240v which can draw up to 3600w but thats typically for higher end appliances. Im not sure what US plugs are rated for but I'd imagine it would be higher current (due to the lower voltage) as for your question of circuit, depends on the capacity of the rcd (i.e. 20/30 amps means that amount for the entire circuit i.e. multiple points in a room and anywhere else that may be linked.
>>
>>55095611
>Are cheap generic brand strips just as safe as the more premium brands?
from what i've seen all the plain ones are as good as one another
>How many outlets can you safely have on one power strip? How many on one circuit total across several power strips?
as many as you like, up to the load limit of each strip and cable involved (for example, lets say you have a wall socket rated for 2400w, and you attach a strip to it, you should only draw 2400w total across all of the strips' connectors, assuming the strip can do at least 2400w, if it can't, then keep under the strips' limit
>How much should you spend on power strips?
doesn't matter
>>
File: 1425439215925.jpg (120 KB, 676x437) Image search: [Google]
1425439215925.jpg
120 KB, 676x437
>>55098829
underrated post
>>
>>55100143
Another point you should be aware of - inrush current.

If I turn off my power strip & turn it on again, the central fuse for my room jumps out. Need to plug out my computer & notebook before I put the fuse back in.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.